All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Was there a mention that Jarvis would receive the same scholarship that Oto received due to being physically unable to play?

Wasn't Oto a grad student this past season? If so, that's a different story. There are always a number of graduate assistantships available outside of academic departments and a grad assistant attached to a coaching staff is a fairly common first step for those who pursue coaching.

I don't think so. Pitino already said we're giving Johnson his Scholarship for this year and we haven't gotten a waiver from the NCAA yet(which, if received would mean Jarvis would not be allowed to play college basketball anywhere). I doubt anyone has even applied for a waiver yet and I don't even know if one would be granted. Jarvis already enrolled in classes and is using that scholarship so we couldn't, and shouldn't even think about, take it away from him now. Meaning the earliest that spot is available would be 2016.

You're mistaken on multiple counts.

Why hasn't Jerry Kill, who hands out a lot more scholarships in a sport with a higher attrition rate due to physical reasons, hasn't had the same relative rate of turnover and misses/ Must be that those sinister, evil, malevolently anti-sport forces at the U are out to get only the men's BB program.

+1

Why hasn't Jerry Kill, who hands out a lot more scholarships in a sport with a higher attrition rate due to physical reasons, hasn't had the same relative rate of turnover and misses/ Must be that those sinister, evil, malevolently anti-sport forces at the U are out to get only the men's BB program.

We had two very unusual situations that were sad for very different reasons with McNeil and Johnson. Outside of that, Josh Martin transferred and Zach Lofton was a miss.

I think we've had similar attrition in football it's just usually with guys so far down the depth chart that it doesn't make waves. Donovahn Jones was kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons, Roden-McKinzy, Krizancic, and Peppers all transferred. Then we recently lost Matllius who grad transferred to North Dakota and probably most significantly lost De'Niro Laster. That's at least six who transferred after this season with 2 of them being true freshman who would count as "misses".

Guys transfer all the time now, especially in hoops. I am most concerned with the possiblity that the "U" might have higher standards for admission than schools like Louisville and Florida do for basketball recruits. I just have hard time believing that Pitino is recruiting guys he couldn't have got in to school at his previous spots and also getting upset about it.

We had two very unusual situations that were sad for very different reasons with McNeil and Johnson. Outside of that, Josh Martin transferred and Zach Lofton was a miss.

I think we've had similar attrition in football it's just usually with guys so far down the depth chart that it doesn't make waves. Donovahn Jones was kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons, Roden-McKinzy, Krizancic, and Peppers all transferred. Then we recently lost Matllius who grad transferred to North Dakota and probably most significantly lost De'Niro Laster. That's at least six who transferred after this season with 2 of them being true freshman who would count as "misses".

Guys transfer all the time now, especially in hoops. I am most concerned with the possiblity that the "U" might have higher standards for admission than schools like Louisville and Florida do for basketball recruits. I just have hard time believing that Pitino is recruiting guys he couldn't have got in to school at his previous spots and also getting upset about it.
+1

But you missed a big one.

Paging Mrs Barkers Friend.

You're mistaken on multiple counts.

Sounds good. I was under the impression that IF you got a medical waiver to not count against the scholarships on the team, but still were receiving one, then you couldn't be brought back off that waiver and then actually count against the scholarships in the future. But I guess i was wrong. Good to know and great news in case Jarvis is found to be able to play in the future or something.

As for the rest of the post. He was registered for classes this summer and classes have started(fact). Scholarships are year long renewables and as he has already taken it, unless he leaves, we are on the hook for it for 1 year at least(fact). Meaning that to get the waiver next year it'd open up a slot (2016)

So I'm not sure where the other parts of my post were wrong. I get that I could/and apparently am wrong on first part and I'm thrilled about that.

Maybe the Class of 2015 isn't over yet! I can't see us taking a third transfer who has to sit out, but it doesn't surprise me to see us linked to him given our need for bigs (I'm not sold on the African guys yet) and the East Coast connections we have.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe the Class of 2015 isn't over yet! I can't see us taking a third transfer who has to sit out, but it doesn't surprise me to see us linked to him given our need for bigs (I'm not sold on the African guys yet) and the East Coast connections we have.

We must have gotten a cheat code for unlimited scholarships lol he would be a great addition aside from those shorts.

Go Gophers!!

I'm so used to making fun of Iowa State for all of their transfers, this is a bit uncomfortable.

If we could land him, we'll have two of the best shotblockers in the country for the 2016-2017 season.

Dude is a head case no? Wasn't there player/coach issues?

He would buy more time for bakery... Unfortunately this means he needs that time.

Dude is a head case no? Wasn't there player/coach issues?

He would buy more time for bakery... Unfortunately this means he needs that time.

He has to sit out a year wherever he goes, so he wouldn't be buying anytime for Bakary, if he comes here.

He has to sit out a year wherever he goes, so he wouldn't be buying anytime for Bakary, if he comes here.

My assumption was next year he and lynch would get the bulk of the time. Bakery plays minutes this year out of necessity.

Interesting, we were attached to him the last time he considered transferring from St John's as well so the staff must really believe in his talent. Taking a guy for two years with just one to play obviously confirms that. If he does come though, it's a bit of strange fit with Konate being Junior at the point and Lynch also being a Junior. It seems like it would be tough for these guys to all get minutes when it's tough to play two of them at the same time.

Interesting, we were attached to him the last time he considered transferring from St John's as well so the staff must really believe in his talent. Taking a guy for two years with just one to play obviously confirms that. If he does come though, it's a bit of strange fit with Konate being Junior at the point and Lynch also being a Junior. It seems like it would be tough for these guys to all get minutes when it's tough to play two of them at the same time.

If the last year has taught us anything it's that you can't have too many capable bodies.

I'm so used to making fun of Iowa State for all of their transfers, this is a bit uncomfortable.

I really don't get why people on here get so worked up about Iowa State's transfers. Because they took Royce White or a few questionable players? I'd trade the Gophers rosters over the past 5 years for Iowa State's any day.

I really don't get why people on here get so worked up about Iowa State's transfers. Because they took Royce White or a few questionable players? I'd trade the Gophers rosters over the past 5 years for Iowa State's any day.

Because people on here are Gopher fans, and Gopher fans like to b****.

Reports are that Obekpa is transferring because he doesn't like Chris Mullin's stricter rules and holding players more accountable. I think there is a Kimani Young connection here, but I'm not sure I'd want that type of kid on my team.

Reports are that Obekpa is transferring because he doesn't like Chris Mullin's stricter rules and holding players more accountable. I think there is a Kimani Young connection here, but I'm not sure I'd want that type of kid on my team.

The idea of tieing up scholarships for a dead year doesn't seem very attractive to me for guys who average in the area of 5 points a game no matter how tall they are. Iowa State targeted guys who had NBA futures or scored points. One is fine but 3 guys like that seems odd when we already went through the Lofton experiment.

Top Bottom