All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

The thought of high-character guys like Coffey and Reid Travis following after high-character guys like Rodney Williams and the Hollins' - that's the kind of program a fan wants.

The thought of high-character guys like Coffey and Reid Travis following after high-character guys like Rodney Williams and the Hollins' - that's the kind of program a fan wants.

Well said. Spot on.

Wow! From the first tape, I've always been impressed with his passing. Needs to work on his right hand, but at this age, big deal. Let's wrap him up real early.

Wow! From the first tape, I've always been impressed with his passing. Needs to work on his right hand, but at this age, big deal. Let's wrap him up real early.

Howie, how many times have you seen him in live competition to come to this conclusion? Thanks.

Howie, how many times have you seen him in live competition to come to this conclusion? Thanks.

I'm one of lucky ones, who though my days of chasing around personally scouting recruits are done, I've retained some ability to draw obvious conclusions. This obvious conclusion was even easier, because during my freshman year of college, I quickly realized if I ever wanted to get off the bench, I needed to improve my mid-range jumper and dribbling with my right hand.

Go Vikings!

Thanks, Doc. I really appreciate all the film and the posters who do go see our recruits and players and report back. Costa Rican Gopher mentioned it the other day, there is a pretty knowledgeable group of guys on the board right now.

One reason Hopkins along with Osseo should give A. Valley a run for their money for state champ honors

It also lists his Schools of Interest:

Creighton, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

Minnesota was excluded from the list? Been awhile since I've read about Coffey. Have we offered already or would that have been too early for a 2016 recruit?

We have offered

Thanks for the reminder! Kind of upset we got left off the list but i'm hoping it isn't any foreshadowing. Long time from a decision, I trust we will bring him around the campus quite a few times.

In Pitino We Trust

Thanks for the reminder! Kind of upset we got left off the list but i'm hoping it isn't any foreshadowing. Long time from a decision, I trust we will bring him around the campus quite a few times.

In Pitino We Trust

I think we have a good chance since his dad played here and everything. Certainly not a lock, but I like our odds with him over Tyus, Reid, Vaughn. Could also hurt us though that he decides he'd rather do his own thing out of state.

i swear its a young Jalen Rose in those video clips... and not just because they are both lefties.. stature, shooting stroke, one-handed runner, double-pump off-glass layups, etc.

Creighton, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

Minnesota was excluded from the list? Been awhile since I've read about Coffey. Have we offered already or would that have been too early for a 2016 recruit?

Too early to tell. Penn State is include right know but if he's the real deal Kentucky, Kansas and the other top programs will be after him.

i swear its a young Jalen Rose in those video clips... and not just because they are both lefties.. stature, shooting stroke, one-handed runner, double-pump off-glass layups, etc.

Interesting comparison. I always think of Jalen as much thinner, but I can see the rest. I noticed Coffey is a very good passer right away.

Scout isn't the best at keeping players' lists updated. That's all this is.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>2016 D1MN Combo Guard Amir Coffey ( <a href="https://twitter.com/CoffeyShop_">@CoffeyShop_</a>) was just offered by the University of Miami <a href="https://twitter.com/DaveTelep">@DaveTelep</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/ebosshoops">@ebosshoops</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDanielsFOX">@EvanDanielsFOX</a></p>— D1 Minnesota (@D1Minnesota) <a href="https://twitter.com/D1Minnesota/statuses/378331525995327488">September 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Pitino and company are not in good standing with Ken Novak and Hopkins....because of the way the Joe Coleman situation went down. Still plenty of time to heal the wounds hopefully.

Pitino and company are not in good standing with Ken Novak and Hopkins....because of the way the Joe Coleman situation went down. Still plenty of time to heal the wounds hopefully.

BS, Joe wanted to & almost left after his freshman year.

I have met Joe several times and know several basketball managers. They all admit that Joe Coleman was a good basketball player, but he played the game for himself and not the team. He realized that the new system wouldn't fit him and made a personal decision to leave to a better situation.

I personally don't believe that Pitino upset anyone in the process. I saw Joe hanging out with the players the entire summer until he left for St. Marys.

I like that comparison, but from what I have heard and seen, I would almost compare him to Terrence Jones of Kentucky. I would admit now that based on current rankings Coffey might be a better talent.

The way I see it, the gophers have done well with Hopkins players, they seem to get the one's they want regardless of who is coaching the team.

I sure hope for his sake that Novak is not having any influence with him, because he'll turn into an arrogant prick.

I like that comparison, but from what I have heard and seen, I would almost compare him to Terrence Jones of Kentucky. I would admit now that based on current rankings Coffey might be a better talent.

i have only seen those two clips.. so i'm not offering another 'Sullinger is overrated' classic.. BUT, this kid is a Jalen Rose / George Gervin / jamal crawford type... great scorer, great feel, deceptively quick, not terribly explosive.

terrence jones is very explosive but stiff & average skilled.. lots of 6'10" guys in the league with similar abilities. in the fab5, Terrance Jones would be Chris Weber while Coffey would be Rose.

Top Bottom