All Things Alex Illikainen Recruitment Thread: UPDATED 11/12/18: Illikainen leaves UW

What is the general sense for where MN stands in regards to Alex's recruitment?

Same as yours and mine, burton. We are meeting and recruiting him, as are other schools, and there is nothing more that is KNOWN.

Of all the top 2014 and 2015 recruits, I think he is our best shot. He tweeted about the Gophers a lot this past season and always seemed excited when attending the games. I'd say we have better than 50% shot of landing him.

Of all the top 2014 and 2015 recruits, I think he is our best shot. He tweeted about the Gophers a lot this past season and always seemed excited when attending the games. I'd say we have better than 50% shot of landing him.

+1

Good to hear. Thanks.

@gopherhole: Meeting between #Gophers @MNCoachPitino & @AIllikainen_25 reportedly went very well. Illikainen impressed w/ Pitino's energy, style of play

@gopherhole: Illikainen was also impressed with Pitino's emphasis on player development. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

@collegebbnews: California is latest team to get involved in the recruitment of Grand Rapids SO Alex Illikainen, who has over 1,000 points & 1,000 boards.

Go Gophers!!

@collegebbnews: Sophomore Alex Illikainen of Grand Rapids was named to the Top 20 "cream of the Crop Game" at the Pangos All-American Camp in California.

Go Gophers!!

How are players already playing at camps? Aren't most kids (other than maybe seniors) still in school?

Figured, just an extremely short camp if they don't skip any school. If they actually attend school that Friday and have to travel there, they maybe play a few hrs Friday, all Saturday, and then part of Sunday before traveling back. Doesn't seem like much of a camp. Just a lot different than my experiences at D1 soccer camps (closer to a week and played 3x a day).

It was over the weekend.

Schools in Southwest Minnesota have been out of school for at least one week to a month depending if they started early or not. Only a few schools in this area are still going.

per Sid:

• Alex Illikainen, an outstanding basketball player from Grand Rapids who is being recruited by the Gophers and Kansas among others, recently played in the Top “Cream of the Crop” games to conclude the Pangos All-America Invitational Camp in Long Beach, Calif. Illikainen averaged 17 points in the tournament and was second overall in rebounding. Illikainen played alongside Cooper standout Rashad Vaughn in the tournament.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/211314551.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Illikainen played alongside Cooper standout Rashad Vaughn in the tournament.

Let's keep this going in Maroon and Gold!

He sure looks like a Gopher to me. Does anyone know if he will be a F/C in Pitino's system or are we looking at a PF?

position

I think he'll be able to play both PF and C. Moves incredibly well for his size.

Everywhere I have looked he is projected as a power forward. I am not sure if he's 6'8" or 6'9" and if thats in shoes or not. He may still grow also. He runs the court very well.

If he puts on some more muscle some minutes at center wouldnt be the worst situation but i could see him thrive with a big center next to him, let's hope it's H. Ellenson and him in the lineup!

He and Henry could be a deadly combo covering the 4 & 5 spots.

Agreed. That's what I'm hoping for and as long as Wally enjoys his season with Pitino as coach, I think it could very well happen. Exciting to think about.

@collegebbnews: 2015 big man Alex Illikainen had 25 points before fouling out w/ 6 minutes left in an 87-57 loss for the Cyclones versus to Oklahoma Phenoms

Go Gophers!!

Our frontcourt may appear to be a weakness now. But if somehow we land Illikainen, Travis and Ellenson, we would be sitting mighty well in the front court.

Alex, tell me a little about your first impressions of Pitino and the staff. I went down there two weeks after he got the job and we had a meeting with all the coaches. I really liked them. They kind of told me about how they’re going to play an uptempo game and I kind of feel like I fit into that. I just can’t wait to see the first couple games and what he’s done with the team and does with the program … I like to run, uptempo game -- that’s kind of my thing. I think I fit in in that kind of environment – going fast.

Go Gophres!!

Top Bottom