All Things Alex Illikainen Recruitment Thread: UPDATED 11/12/18: Illikainen leaves UW

I'd rather he go to Iowa than Wisconsin, but that would still be a pretty hard pill to swallow.

It'll be a tough pill to swallow because he'll hurt us in games for four years. Like when we missed out on Verdell Jones and he ends up hitting all those daggers against the Gophs.

Not sure what the big deal is...Buggs will have had 4 years after the 2014/2015 season and should graduate. If a player graduates after 4 years...we aren't pushing them. We upheld our part of the bargain. The 5th year is not guaranteed. We have seen that many times already with Kill who sent kids packing after 4 years on scholarship.

Its up to the kids to get their degree in 4 years. If they aren't contributing to the team, then take the graduate transfer option and go to grad school somewhere else. I don't see an issue here.

Not sure what the big deal is...Buggs will have had 4 years after the 2014/2015 season and should graduate. If a player graduates after 4 years...we aren't pushing them. We upheld our part of the bargain. The 5th year is not guaranteed. We have seen that many times already with Kill who sent kids packing after 4 years on scholarship.

Its up to the kids to get their degree in 4 years. If they aren't contributing to the team, then take the graduate transfer option and go to grad school somewhere else. I don't see an issue here.

No. Three. Where are people getting four?

We are going to get 4 really good players and I haven't given up on Alex yet. I love the class we are going to get either way.

I see a number of possible scenarios on this:

1. Maybe Pitino will over sign and is still pursuing AI under the assumption that someone will move on due to roster competition at the end of the year. We shouldn't assume it's any one guy that would move on after this year- it's just a numbers game.

2. Maybe AI is lukewarm on coming here and wants to go to Wisky or Iowa- so be it.

3. Maybe Pitino has the guys we wants. Perhaps Gaston is better than we think and maybe he has already seen things in Martin that convince him that the PF position is well stocked. We know that King is solid.

In any event this is a great situation. We have a future roster that has size, athleticism and ball handling. We have competition for playing time at every position and we have a coach that seems to be able to motivate development. I love where we are headed.

We are going to get 4 really good players and I haven't given up on Alex yet. I love the class we are going to get either way.

1. Maybe Pitino will over sign and is still pursuing AI under the assumption that someone will move on due to roster competition at the end of the year. We shouldn't assume it's any one guy that would move on after this year- it's just a numbers game.

2. Maybe AI is lukewarm on coming here and wants to go to Wisky or Iowa- so be it.

3. Maybe Pitino has the guys we wants. Perhaps Gaston is better than we think and maybe he has already seen things in Martin that convince him that the PF position is well stocked. We know that King is solid.

In any event this is a great situation. We have a future roster that has size, athleticism and ball handling. We have competition for playing time at every position and we have a coach that seems to be able to motivate development. I love where we are headed.

+1

I think Alex will be a Hawkeye. With no insider information, I'll just make a monumental leap based on a t-shirt in a recent Twitter photo. Because that's how I roll.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He very well could end up a Hawkeye, but that picture was taken either during or right after his official visit there. It is standard to outfit the visitor with shirts, jerseys, etc., of the host school during the visit. So, I wouldn't read too much into it, but clearly he was wanting to post the picture, so there's that.

How refreshing is it that our problems went from:

"who can we steal from UC Irvine this spring" to

"we do not have enough room for the talent that wants to play here"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These aren't the droids you're looking for. Buggs is a senior.

I think the Star Wars joke was lost on some people. One point though -- he's in his third year of college this year as a redshirt soph, but he'll turn 22 in April like the other seniors.

I believe he went to prep school after his sr year of HS.

Buggs still has a lot of potential. He's put on weight, though maybe not as much as the staff has wanted (I remember them saying 220 was the goal). This will be an important year for him. If he gets passed up by Martin and, in the spring, Diedhou, his future outlook for PT here will be dire. If he blossoms this year, then awesome, he'll still have 2 more years to refine his game.

This is the one area where I would disagree. After this year, we only have four guys on the roster over 6'6" (assuming GH has run Buggs off the team): King, Martin, Konate, and Nwanko. It would be nice to have someone with Alex's skill set (a big who can shoot) and a small forward on the roster.

This is the one area where I would disagree. After this year, we only have four guys on the roster over 6'6" (assuming GH has run Buggs off the team): King, Martin, Konate, and Nwanko. It would be nice to have someone with Alex's skill set (a big who can shoot) and a small forward on the roster.

I have a hard time believing we enter the following season without neither of Gaston, Buggs, or Illikainen. At least one of them will be the roster...having at least 5 players that can play the post is plenty, with the likelihood that it will be 6.

You forgot Gaston.

If Pitino didn't think Gaston was good - he could have politely said adios when the admittance issues arose. Or he could be recruiting a 5th guy knowing that Gaston might not cut the mustard compared to AI. (And maybe he is)

My opinion remains that if Gaston does his English work and is fully admitted then we will have another guy that Pitino thinks highly of and we will have 6 guys over 6-6.

King is 6'8, Martin 6'9, Nwankwo 6'10, Konate 6'11. That's plenty enough size for a college team. And Alex is going to be a stretch 4 in college. I think that initial Small Forward comment in the one interview was misinterpreted.

There's no need to run Buggs off if Gaston doesn't get in. A scholly will be open.

My source tells me that AI is goingto run into the Casanova Room at 3:29 today to commit to the Gophers...

There's no need to run Buggs off if Gaston doesn't get in. A scholly will be open.

I'd be surprised if he was not with the team during the second semester.
Minnesota coach Richard Pitino, who is not permitted to speak about specifics of Diedhiou’s situation per university rules, said his staff was stunned by the decision, which ultimately was made by Director of Admissions Rachelle Hernandez.

“We were surprised by it,” Pitino said. “Anytime you have a bright kid who is a full qualifier, you normally expect him to be admitted. Certainly, we had penciled him in on the roster as one of our frontcourt guys we could rely on and then, when he’s not admitted at the end of the day, it’s a bit of a curveball, a bit of a tough situation.

“But like anything else, we’re trying to make the best of it and certainly trying to get him here second semester, get him ready to go.

While in the English language program, Diedhiou can retake the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam, but the earliest he could be eligible is January when the new semester begins.

Minnesota doesn’t have any minimum TOEFL score requirements for prospective students, and Hernandez said admissions never denies an applicant — who is evaluated in a holistic review — because of one criterion.

In the meantime, Diedhiou is living on campus and enrolled in the 15-week language program that costs around $13,000 for tuition and expenses ranging from medical insurance to books. It can be paid for by anyone outside the program.

If a player decides to leave, then I hope that's really his decision. Have no problem with someone being told they're going to be on the bench here, and, if they want to play, they need to go somewhere else. If they're basically kicked out the door, that's not a good sign. A coach who doesn't have loyalty to his players, isn't going to be loyal to the school and will be gone at a better offer. Richard gives every indication of being committed here, but been a Gopher fan too long not to worry.

With the potential Pitino has, and with the team he's assembling, that would be a killer. Would feel a lot more confident if the damn facility was actually going up, but going to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

My source tells me that AI is goingto run into the Casanova Room at 3:29 today to commit to the Gophers...

... and then Jarvis and Alex light a stuffed badger on fire and bro-high-five.

Can't help but think that Pitino has thought through all these issues and is prepared to do what is best for the team and his reputation…I am quite confident he will work things out satisfactorily….

If a player decides to leave, then I hope that's really his decision. Have no problem with someone being told they're going to be on the bench here, and, if they want to play, they need to go somewhere else

I agree for the most part. If a guy like McNeil was asked to leave after next year I would have a problem with it.

If Buggs were asked to leave after this season and with his redshirt year used he would be screwed if he wanted to transfer to another D1 program.

I agree for the most part. If a guy like McNeil was asked to leave after next year I would have a problem with it.

If Buggs were asked to leave his senior year after burning a redshirt and having eligibility to transfer and play at another D1 program that would be BS too. However this will be his 4th year here... after 4 years of paid for schooling if they want to open up a scolly it's good enough (not ideal) in my book. If he has done the work he should graduate and be able to transfer if it comes to this.

Huh?

Probably Buggs becomes a Graduate Transfer to somewhere. This is his senior year academically.

If Buggs were asked to leave his senior year after burning a redshirt and having eligibility to transfer and play at another D1 program that would be BS too. However this will be his 4th year here... after 4 years of paid for schooling if they want to open up a scolly it's good enough (not ideal) in my book. If he has done the work he should graduate and be able to transfer if it comes to this.

Am I being gaslighted?

Edited post above... Not sure if it was because I read it and forgot or what... but I was thinking this would be his redshirt Jr. year for some reason (4th years after this season)

I might be reading too much into this but with Jarvis committing on Monday Pitino still went and visited Illikainen on Wednesday and to me that just reinforces the idea that if AI wants to be a Gopher the staff will find a way to make that happen.

I might be reading too much into this but with Jarvis committing on Monday Pitino still went and visited Illikainen on Wednesday and to me that just reinforces the idea that if AI wants to be a Gopher the staff will find a way to make that happen.

This was what I was saying earlier in this thread. Pitino and Co. went out of their way to see AI when they already knew they had 4 kids locked up.

I'm not actually sure if Pitino visited Alex on Wednesday based on his blog today. Isn't Alex's prep school in New Hampshire?

From the blog:
"September 9th marked the beginning of the recruiting period. The first three days I was in Minnesota, Kansas, and several different locations in Florida."

Top Bottom