All Things About Golf

True, but did he really have a choice here? If your adversary has $600 billion in assets and you have $100 million in reserves after having already spent $50 million on legal fees.....and you are facing many more years of lawsuits and your sponsors are likely not thrilled about paying for the enhanced events.....don't you choose for the slings and arrows that are headed your way over the likely eventual decimation of your organization?

My own personal hope is the LIV players face a steep uphill climb to get back on the PGA tour. I would like a long enough suspension where their 2 years of accumulating OWG points essentially dry up and they are faced to compete against others with little or no status. Compete where eligible in the majors, I suppose, but not elsewhere without starting over.

You are correct they had no choice. Now they had a choice before LIV got started and Jay wanted nothing to do with the changes wanted. Now that has got a gun to his head he is back tracking.

I hope your 2nd paragraph is correct and the guys that bailed face stiff competition and penalties to come back.

This is rich. Lefty and LIV team sued for alleged trademark infringement.

Welcome back to the US Open Rickie Fowler.

He made the field every year from 2011 - 2020, but the 10 year run was broken in 2021. He got in by being in the World Golf Top 60, otherwise he would have had to go through Sectional Qualifying. If not for the LIVers falling down the rankings, he probably would be at home this week.

Off to a great start.

Now that the Saudis have taken over golf with their unlimited capital, what is to stop them from taking over other American sports? Surprisingly, I think the prime candidate would be the by far the wealthiest and most popular American sport: the NFL. The owners have treated the players like chattel since the beginning and almost none of the contracts are guaranteed. The reason that all of the upstart leagues since the AFL have failed is a lack of capital. I could see the Saudis buying the XFL and paying some of the NFL's biggest stars huge guaranteed money to come over and offering huge guaranteed contracts to kids coming out of college after their first or second year. All of a sudden you have a league that's worth watching and the network and streaming dollars will roll in.

Now that the Saudis have taken over golf with their unlimited capital, what is to stop them from taking over other American sports? Surprisingly, I think the prime candidate would be the by far the wealthiest and most popular American sport: the NFL. The owners have treated the players like chattel since the beginning and almost none of the contracts are guaranteed. The reason that all of the upstart leagues since the AFL have failed is a lack of capital. I could see the Saudis buying the XFL and paying some of the NFL's biggest stars huge guaranteed money to come over and offering huge guaranteed contracts to kids coming out of college after their first or second year. All of a sudden you have a league that's worth watching and the network and streaming dollars will roll in.
Maybe they would start by just buying the AFC East, or something like that.

Welcome back to the US Open Rickie Fowler.

He made the field every year from 2011 - 2020, but the 10 year run was broken in 2021. He got in by being in the World Golf Top 60, otherwise he would have had to go through Sectional Qualifying. If not for the LIVers falling down the rankings, he probably would be at home this week.

Off to a great start.
Dueling 62's for Ricky & Xander Schauffle.

Wow

Dueling 62's for Ricky & Xander Schauffle.

Wow
Yeah, Rickie was only -5 when I posted above. Amazing to go -8. Never had been a 62 in the US Open, and then 2 within 15 minutes. I thought DJ and Rory were on a run to join them, but fell a little short.

Yeah, Rickie was only -5 when I posted above. Amazing to go -8. Never had been a 62 in the US Open, and then 2 within 15 minutes. I thought DJ and Rory were on a run to join them, but fell a little short.

Had to get on my app and sprinkle some money around this evening for the US Open. I can't bet on Rickie; not because I don't think he'll play well, but because right now the odds on him aren't worth the juice I don't think. Same with Rory. I don't like betting chalk, not much fun in that (although I had something on Rahm at The Masters which was nice!)

A little juice on some players heading down the stretch makes for a pretty interesting afternoon! I've got W. Clark, DJ, Cam Smith, Scheffler, Harris English, Sam Bennett and Min Woo Lee for a few shekels each.

Would be cool to see Fowler win....especially considering that it looked like his career was close to dropping off a cliff a few years back. Also.....I picked him as my tier 4 golfer in the pool we do for majors.

Paul Azinger is single handedly taking out most of the joy of watching the US Open for me.

Is it possible to get an AI version of Johnny Miller since he doesn't want to do it anymore?

Fowler and Clark both at -10 and leading going into Sunday. Fowler missed a 3 footer on 18 or would have lead by one. Scheffler is only 3 back after getting an eagle on 17 and a birdie on 18. Tomorrow should be fun

Was rooting for Fowler and Rory, but watching Wyndham Clark grind it out today was pretty impressive. Crazy bogey out of the bushes on 14. A few money up-and-downs. And a tournament winning 197 yard approach shot on 18 to seal it.

And more impressive is how he is handling himself at the press conference. Humble, but confident. Very thankful. Very grounded. Lost his mom. A guy to root for.

Was rooting for Fowler and Rory, but watching Wyndham Clark grind it out today was pretty impressive. Crazy bogey out of the bushes on 14. A few money up-and-downs. And a tournament winning 197 yard approach shot on 18 to seal it.

And more impressive is how he is handling himself at the press conference. Humble, but confident. Very thankful. Very grounded. Lost his mom. A guy to root for.

The lag putt from 60-feet with that much on the line was incredibly impressive. Holy shit. I told the wife if he got it within 5 feet with that much pressure it would be a pretty damn good putt.

EDIT: One thing I've noticed from Rory in these last several majors, he just doesn't make a lot of putts in that 6-12 foot range when it's "money time". You just have to make more of those. It cost him The Open last year, cost him today again.

I think you have to be more mentally focused to get through a Sunday afternoon of a major than any other athletic event. When Clark got in trouble on the 14th, I thought he would crack. Amazing fortitude. Beautiful scene on the 18th green.

EDIT: One thing I've noticed from Rory in these last several majors, he just doesn't make a lot of putts in that 6-12 foot range when it's "money time". You just have to make more of those. It cost him The Open last year, cost him today again.
Rory's lack of putting ability is also why I think it's unlikely that he ever conquers Augusta, where that ability is crucial and usually doesn't improve into the one's late 30s - 40s.

Man NBC really makes it tough to watch golf with all the commercials. I feel like they show about 3 live shots and 3 recorded shots per every 4 minute commercial break.

Man NBC really makes it tough to watch golf with all the commercials. I feel like they show about 3 live shots and 3 recorded shots per every 4 minute commercial break.
Agreed. It's gotten to the point where I don't watch sporting events live anymore outside of the early NFL games on Sundays. I realize they have to pay their bills but it won't be at my viewing expense...just not enough time in the day.

Agreed. It's gotten to the point where I don't watch sporting events live anymore outside of the early NFL games on Sundays. I realize they have to pay their bills but it won't be at my viewing expense...just not enough time in the day.
That made me curious, so I got the stop watch out on my phone. The last commercial ended at 9:55 central, so I wanted to see how many minutes of commercials were from 10 - 10:30.

The first set started at 10:02 and the last set ended at 10:28. In that span were 10:14 of commercials, the actual spots were pretty much exactly 10 minutes, but I added the station ID and news plug, as well as the sponsor spot after the commercial before they actually were showing golf.

Ridiculous

The benefit of more commercial breaks is less time for Paul Azinger to pontificate.

What a performance by Harmon. Missed only 1 putt under 10 ft (over 55 makes). Only hit it into 2 bunkers all weekend, and one was on the 72nd hole.

The benefit of more commercial breaks is less time for Paul Azinger to pontificate.

What a performance by Harmon. Missed only 1 putt under 10 ft (over 55 makes). Only hit it into 2 bunkers all weekend, and one was on the 72nd hole.
Rory, on the other hand, missed 9 birdie putts inside 15 feet.

Pretty damn incredible

I think Z Johnson made a mistake picking JT. I would have gone with either Glover, hot hand, or Bradley whose been solid and has experience.

For golf viewing fans that normally don’t watch the LPGA, this may be the weekend to tune in, especially if you enjoy the Ryder Cup. The Solheim Cup is in Spain, so it’s basically going to be on overnight the next three nights, so you’d need to DVR it on the Golf Channel.
IMG_0853.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Bottom