All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Not that I focused on them much during the season anyways.....but it's looking like I'll probably be able to write off the Twins early this year.

If only there were a way to force the Pohlads to sell. Just some the shittiest ownership possible.

Won three of the last five division titles, there are far worse owners 🤦‍♂️

Try reading the post below, as it’s objective and informative - you need to click the link😃. He is as informed and objective a baseball poster as you’ll find on this board - there was no remuneration.

Last edited:

In addition, it's nice to see Buxton hitting the ball well. Seems the past few years he's been an all or nothing kind of hitter. Home runs are great and he'll get his but just hit the ball hard somewhere. And he's doing it so far.
giphy.gif

Not that I focused on them much during the season anyways.....but it's looking like I'll probably be able to write off the Twins early this year.

If only there were a way to force the Pohlads to sell. Just some the shittiest ownership possible.
Still they are the best in the Twin Cities based on their track record of success. Pretty low bar compared to the current owners of the Wild, T-Wolves and Vikings.

Won three of the last five division titles, there are far worse owners 🤦‍♂️

Try reading this post, as it’s objective and informative - you need to click the link😃. He is as informed and objective a baseball poster as you’ll find on this board - there was no remuneration.

I said some of the shittiest ownership possible. And winning division titles because the rest of the division is terrible means nothing. All four of the other teams in the division have made a world series this century.....with both the White Sox and the Royals actually winning it all.

The Twins under the Pohlads will never compete for a World Series because they are cheap and cut salary whenever the team starts looking competitive.

Still they are the best in the Twin Cities based on their track record of success. Pretty low bar compared to the current owners of the Wild, T-Wolves and Vikings.

Difference is that there is hope for the Wild, T-Wolves, and the Vikings. There's next to no hope for the Twins. Part of that is that the competitive landscape in the MLB is too far slanted.....but you can't look past an ownership group that doesn't care about winning.

I said some of the shittiest ownership possible. And winning division titles because the rest of the division is terrible means nothing. All four of the other teams in the division have made a world series this century.....with both the White Sox and the Royals actually winning it all.

The Twins under the Pohlads will never compete for a World Series because they are cheap and cut salary whenever the team starts looking competitive.
Unfortunately the next owners would be cheap too, just like virtually every other owner in baseball.

Tell that to Correra and Buxton’s bank accounts; we consistently rank in the middle range of teams for payroll - ask the Mets how well it worked last year with the biggest payroll and the Yankees last won a WS when? 🤣🤣

Sometimes can blame a lack of production on bad luck. Hard hit balls just happen to find gloves. It's baseball.
This not one of those days.

Tell that to Correra and Buxton’s bank accounts; we consistently rank in the middle range of teams for payroll - ask the Mets how well it worked last year with the biggest payroll and the Yankees last won a WS when? 🤣🤣

Won our first playoff game in a decade and they cut payroll by over $20 million dollars.

And regardless of whether you care to admit it....payroll correlates to winning.

Difference is that there is hope for the Wild, T-Wolves, and the Vikings. There's next to no hope for the Twins. Part of that is that the competitive landscape in the MLB is too far slanted.....but you can't look past an ownership group that doesn't care about winning.

The Royals winning the WS would seem to make your point about the “competitive landscape” moot, as IIRC they didn’t have one of biggest payrolls when they won.

I’m not looking to get into a protracted debate, so you can respond and I’ll give you the last word and we’ll agree to disagree without becoming disagreeable.

Twins get swept by the Orioles. This time game 3 end in a walk off 2 run homer for the Orioles.

Won our first playoff game in a decade and they cut payroll by over $20 million dollars.

And regardless of whether you care to admit it....payroll correlates to winning.

See my last post about The Royals payroll when they won and you “conveniently” didn’t comment on my points about the Mets or Yankees - there are few absolutes in life - it makes more sense when you’re out of your frisky 40s and every little squabble seems like it’s of Uber importance, 50s has sux for more for my physical health, but mentally I’m in a much better place, as I realize the Reaper will win in the end and I’m at peace with that now.

Twins currently sitting dead last in team batting average, and below the Mendoza line. Woof. Braves as a team are hitting .302!!

Twins are also second-to-last in SB's with a grand total of 4 on the year. Can't hit and don't run. Have only 5 more runs scored than the garbage White Sox (who are last in the league). Looking bleak right now.

View attachment 31038
Their 5/32 performance today at the plate will bring their .195 average down further. Excelsior!

DkqJGrDWwAcE455.jpg

See my last post about The Royals payroll when they won and you “conveniently” didn’t comment on my points about the Mets or Yankees - there are few absolutes in life - it makes more sense when you’re out of your frisky 40s and every little squabble seems like it’s of Uber importance, 50s has sux for more for my physical health, but mentally I’m in a much better place, as I realize the Reaper will win in the end and I’m at peace with that now.

I did comment. I said that payroll correlates to winning. The teams that are consistently winning have higher payrolls. Doesn't mean that it's impossible for a team like the Royals to win one if everything comes together at the same time.....but they are the exception.....not the rule. Same goes for teams that spend out the ass. Like the Mets.....sometimes it flops. But more often than not.....a team willing to spend is going to perform better. Can't really argue with that.

I did comment. I said that payroll correlates to winning. The teams that are consistently winning have higher payrolls. Doesn't mean that it's impossible for a team like the Royals to win one if everything comes together at the same time.....but they are the exception.....not the rule. Same goes for teams that spend out the ass. Like the Mets.....sometimes it flops. But more often than not.....a team willing to spend is going to perform better. Can't really argue with that.
Two things that would help IMO:

1. TV revenue sharing - The Yankees for instance bring in considerably more money that the Twins from their local TV deals.

2. Salary floor - This will hopefully keep the talent a little more even across the league.

I disagree with the next to no hope angle for the Twins, I think it's rather comparable to the Wild & Vikings. Perhaps in a week or two and might even be on par with the T-Wolves.

In MLB if you qualify for the Playoffs, by definition there is a shot to win it all as the Diamondbacks almost did last year.

On this date in 1965, Jim Kaat became the only pitcher in Twins history to pitch a shutout without a single strikeout.

Allan Anderson pitched a complete game without a strikeout or walk on August 4, 1988, but gave up a solo home run in the 2-1 Twins win.

Speaking of Kaat and shutouts, he threw one in Chicago on April 11, 1971, despite giving up ELEVEN hits and a walk. (The Twins record for hits allowed in a shutout is 13 by Mudcat Grant July 15, 1964, less than a month after he was acquired from Cleveland.)

And one final note on Jim Kaat shutouts: Kitty homered while pitching shutouts on April 13, 1968 and October 1, 1970. The only other Twins pitcher to do so was Jim Perry on April 13, 1968.

I disagree with the next to no hope angle for the Twins, I think it's rather comparable to the Wild & Vikings. Perhaps in a week or two and might even be on par with the T-Wolves.

In MLB if you qualify for the Playoffs, by definition there is a shot to win it all as the Diamondbacks almost did last year.

The NFL, NBA, and NHL have way more parity than the MLB. In all of those leagues.....you win through competent drafting. In the MLB.....teams can simply buy superstars which is much much tougher in those other three (mostly due to less top end players hitting free agency). Also.....the Wilfs and Leopold have both proven that they're willing to spend money to win....unlike the Pohlads.

Maybe someday I'll be wrong.....but cutting payroll by as much as the Pohlads did the year after finally winning A SINGLE playoff game for the first time in nearly 20 years says a lot to me. The Pohlads just don't give a shit about winning. We'll need to somehow have a bunch of minor league prospects in the span of two or three years become all-star caliber players before they become free agents.

Last edited:

The NFL, NBA, and NHL have way more parity than the MLB. In all of those leagues.....you win through competent drafting. In the MLB.....teams can simply buy superstars which is much much tougher in those other three (mostly due to less top end players hitting free agency). Also.....the Wilfs and Leopold have both proven that they're willing to spend money to win....unlike the Pohlads.

Maybe someday I'll be wrong.....but cutting payroll by as much as the Pohlads did the year after finally winning A SINGLE playoff game for the first time in nearly 20 years says a lot to me. The Pohlads just don't give a shit about winning. We'll need to somehow have a bunch of minor league guys in the span of two or three years become all-star caliber players before they become free agents.
Gotta go with ya on the Pohlads. It’s a business to them. The hell with championships

I know it is early, but aside from a couple of players, they look like a AAA team.

Maybe someday I'll be wrong.....but cutting payroll by as much as the Pohlads did the year after finally winning A SINGLE playoff game for the first time in nearly 20 years says a lot to me. The Pohlads just don't give a shit about winning. We'll need to somehow have a bunch of minor league prospects in the span of two or three years become all-star caliber players before they become free agents.
I agree to disagree. If buying a WS Championship was all there was to it, then the Yankees would be racking up trophies. Haven't even won an AL Pennant since 2009.

For all the spending the Dodgers have done, all they is 1 Title and it was in the shortened 2020 COVID season.

Both the Royals and Guards both have won AL Pennants in recent memory. So can the Twins.

I agree to disagree. If buying a WS Championship was all there was to it, then the Yankees would be racking up trophies. Haven't even won an AL Pennant since 2009.

For all the spending the Dodgers have done, all they is 1 Title and it was in the shortened 2020 COVID season.

Both the Royals and Guards both have won AL Pennants in recent memory. So can the Twins.
The majority of AL/NL winners in the Wild Card era are Top 10 spenders. Texas was 4th last year. Arizona and Tampa have proved you can get there without spending, but those types of teams are greatly outnumbered. Spending money doesn't guarantee anything. But it sure seems to tip the scales.

As I said.....it's not a perfect science. You can't just buy your team a world series.....but you can increase your chances greatly by bringing in top talent.

The majority of AL/NL winners in the Wild Card era are Top 10 spenders. Texas was 4th last year. Arizona and Tampa have proved you can get there without spending, but those types of teams are greatly outnumbered. Spending money doesn't guarantee anything. But it sure seems to tip the scales.
There are no big spenders in the AL Central as currently constructed, the Division in which the Twins are assigned.

Top Bottom