All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Oh bleep. I am not going to survive the season if they keep throwing Okert out there. every outing is Karl Wallenda time - even when he survives, he's constantly teetering on the edge of disaster.

Twins hanging onto a 3-1 lead in the 7th. on the plus side, good outing for Pablo today. pitch count got high - 99 pitches in 6 innings. Alcala was shaky and Okert was Okert. at the plate, Kepler and Castro are carrying the hitters.

I shouldn't admit this - but I am listening to the game on the radio even though I do still get the Twins on TV. I live in a city with 4,900 people and our municipal cable system still has Bally. sometimes I just like listening on the radio, because it allows me to do other things at the same time.

Oh bleep. I am not going to survive the season if they keep throwing Okert out there. every outing is Karl Wallenda time - even when he survives, he's constantly teetering on the edge of disaster.

Twins hanging onto a 3-1 lead in the 7th. on the plus side, good outing for Pablo today. pitch count got high - 99 pitches in 6 innings. Alcala was shaky and Okert was Okert. at the plate, Kepler and Castro are carrying the hitters.

I shouldn't admit this - but I am listening to the game on the radio even though I do still get the Twins on TV. I live in a city with 4,900 people and our municipal cable system still has Bally. sometimes I just like listening on the radio, because it allows me to do other things at the same time.
Funderburk has been their most reliable lefty. And that is faint praise, at best.

Twins' radio just played the highlight of the game where Dave Kingman hit a pop fly that went through a drainage hole in the Metrodome roof and never came back down. 180 feet above field level.

the next day, a Dome maintenance worker crawled up and found the ball. he dropped it through the hole where a waiting Mickey Hatcher was supposed to catch the ball. Hatcher muffed the catch.
May 4th, 1984 - a great day in Twins' history.

PPV is active as I am done putting mulch around the house.

I'm waiting for the game to end before I mow the lawn. I've been wanting to put down some weed-and-feed, but you're supposed to have at least 48 hours with no rain after applying the stuff, and down here in SW MN, it keeps raining every other day. looks like I have a window for application late next week........

Twins Win! Santana with a highlight catch to end the game. Cole Sands with the save........

was wondering when they had Duran pitch the 8th inning, but the strategy worked......this time.

The foundation for this streak was built on bumbling baseball by a couple of floundering franchises.
But the Twins are legitimately playing very well as a squad right now. Hitting left a little to be desired today, but did enough and the pitching held it together.

Twins are rolling. Yes....a lot of those wins were against a couple terrible teams.....but even so......you'd expect a loss or two somewhere. And they're continuing to stay hot against a team with a pulse. Credit where credit is due.

here's a tidbit - last time the Twins won 12 in a row was late in the 1980 season under interim manager Johnny Goryl.

Gene Mauch began the 1980 season as manager but resigned on August 25th. under Goryl as interim manager, the Twins went 23-13 down the stretch, finishing in 3rd place in the AL West division. that was good enough to earn Goryl the job as Manager in 1981, but the Twins went 11-25 to start the season and Goryl was removed as manager, with coach Billy "Slick" Gardner taking over.

Goryl's career managing record was 34-38 - but 12 of those 34 wins came in a row.

as a player, Goryl was a journeyman who played for the Cubs and the Twins for parts of 6 seasons. best year was 1963 when he hit .287 with 9 HR in 64 games for the Twins.

here's a tidbit - last time the Twins won 12 in a row was late in the 1980 season under interim manager Johnny Goryl.

Gene Mauch began the 1980 season as manager but resigned on August 25th. under Goryl as interim manager, the Twins went 23-13 down the stretch, finishing in 3rd place in the AL West division. that was good enough to earn Goryl the job as Manager in 1981, but the Twins went 11-25 to start the season and Goryl was removed as manager, with coach Billy "Slick" Gardner taking over.

Goryl's career managing record was 34-38 - but 12 of those 34 wins came in a row.

as a player, Goryl was a journeyman who played for the Cubs and the Twins for parts of 6 seasons. best year was 1963 when he hit .287 with 9 HR in 64 games for the Twins.

Do you mean the last 12 game winning streak the Twins had was in 1980?

The last time they won 12 in a row was in 1991, per this MLB article and the other one I posted regarding each MLB team’s longest winning streak, see below the link, from my prior post.

Man that’s sad.

FWIW, PTI have mentioned the Twins winning streak when it was at 9 and now 10 games, as it doesn’t happen everyday and is newsworthy.

This site lists each team’s longest winning streak and a quick perusal shows double digits streaks don’t happen frequently.

Twins longest is 15 games in 91 and the franchise record is 17 via the Senators.

The last time they won 12 in a row was in 1991, per this MLB article and the other one I posted regarding each MLB team’s longest winning streak, see below the link, from my prior post.

yes - I know there was a 15-game winning streak in '91. the 1980 streak was 12 games, and the current streak is at 12 games. so if you are ranking all-time Twins' winning streaks, the current streak matches the 12-game streak in '80 as the second-best in Twins' history.

Correct, They won 15 games in a row 1991. I know this because it ended on a night Daniel Kaffee was preparing his defense against a couple of Marines accused of murder for an incident in Cuba.

I'm waiting for the game to end before I mow the lawn. I've been wanting to put down some weed-and-feed, but you're supposed to have at least 48 hours with no rain after applying the stuff, and down here in SW MN, it keeps raining every other day. looks like I have a window for application late next week........

Twins Win! Santana with a highlight catch to end the game. Cole Sands with the save........

was wondering when they had Duran pitch the 8th inning, but the strategy worked......this time.
Get some 3M Worktunes and you can mow and listen to the game at the same time. I often wait to mow on the weekends until the game is on so I can listen while mowing.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/search...mcat144700050004&type=page&usc=All Categorieshttps://www.bestbuy.com/site/search...mcat144700050004&type=page&usc=All Categories

Face the tougher part of the lineup; is a strategy which other teams have used, have your best pitcher face the best hitters. They’ve used it before with other relievers in other spots.

I’m guessing it was also used tonight as Jax wasn’t available IIRC and Stewart is out, so you’d rather have Duran face those hitters than Sands.

Last edited:

Correct, They won 15 games in a row 1991. I know this because it ended on a night Daniel Kaffee was preparing his defense against a couple of Marines accused of murder for an incident in Cuba.
It was interesting that Kaffee was supposedly watching an Orioles’ TV broadcast of the game, yet it was clearly the voice of Ted Robinson, the Twins play-by-play man at the time.

Not sure if you guys saw this. Cardinals - White Sox went to extras. Cardinals loaded the bases down 1 in the 10th. With two outs they had a long rain delay. They come back with maybe 100 fans in the stands. The game ends on a terrible strike 3 call (the 1 below). He had a tight strike zone all game but then calls this. Yuck.

And it’s over. Time to start another one

I am so happy to not have to hear about this disgusting summer sausage now. Also next time buy Minnesotan summer sausage maybe Pakerna.

I am so happy to not have to hear about this disgusting summer sausage now. Also next time buy Minnesotan summer sausage maybe Pakerna.

It was a gift to Farmer who had an endorsement deal with the company and was left in the clubhouse 🤦‍♂️

Maybe the Minnesota company should make the endorsement deal with the players?

You’re a provincial weenie 🤡

Top Bottom