All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

https://theathletic.com/5325304/202...-player-standouts/?source=user_shared_articleA spring training standout for each MLB team: 30 players turning heads in camp

Minnesota TwinsCarlos Correa, SS​

Bats: R Throws: R
Height: 6-4 | Weight:220

It’s hard to believe that Correa is still in his 20s but that’s the case as the two-time All-Star prepares for his 10th season in the majors. He’s played in at least 135 games per season in his past two years with the Twins and provided decent production despite battling numerous leg and foot injuries. He’s the leader of the team and has averaged 20 home runs and 65 RBIs over his tenure, though his OPS dropped from .834 to .711 last year. Scouts are observing better range from him in both directions this spring as his lower half appears much healthier than in the past. If the Twins are going to repeat as NL Central champs, they need a healthy Correa. He’s showing good signs so far in that regard, including improved first-step movements.

Derek Falvey, president of baseball operations: “Carlos battled through a lot of soreness last year with that plantar issue. He played great defense all year through it all. You can tell he’s feeling a lot better this spring.”

did you notice who they chose for the Yankees in that same article -

New York YankeesNick Burdi, RHP

Height: 6-3 Weight: 225

It’s not often a 31-year-old journeyman-type pitcher stands out in spring training but that’s what Burdi has done this spring with the Yankees. His stuff is overpowering but he’s rarely been healthy over the past decade; when he has pitched, he’s logged high strikeout and walk rates. He has a 98 to 100 mph fastball from a lower arm slot to go with a slider and changeup. He’s had two Tommy John surgeries and a surgery to address thoracic outlet syndrome, so health concerns will always be there, but he’s struck out seven and walked one in three innings this spring as he tries to win a spot in the bullpen.

Aaron Boone, manager: “Burdi has ridiculously great stuff. The only question is, can he put it all together and stay healthy? If he can, watch out!”

---of course, Nick Burdi started his pro career in the Twins system - drafted in 2014 from U of Louisville. Pitched in the Twins' minor-league system from 2014 to 2017. eventually made to it the majors with the Pirates from 2018-20. then after two years lost to injuries, showed up with the Cubs in 2023 and is now with the Yankees. in MLB has only 19 appearances with 1 save. 15.8 K per 9 innings, but 5.9 BB per 9 innings.

did you notice who they chose for the Yankees in that same article -

New York YankeesNick Burdi, RHP

Height: 6-3 Weight: 225

It’s not often a 31-year-old journeyman-type pitcher stands out in spring training but that’s what Burdi has done this spring with the Yankees. His stuff is overpowering but he’s rarely been healthy over the past decade; when he has pitched, he’s logged high strikeout and walk rates. He has a 98 to 100 mph fastball from a lower arm slot to go with a slider and changeup. He’s had two Tommy John surgeries and a surgery to address thoracic outlet syndrome, so health concerns will always be there, but he’s struck out seven and walked one in three innings this spring as he tries to win a spot in the bullpen.

Aaron Boone, manager: “Burdi has ridiculously great stuff. The only question is, can he put it all together and stay healthy? If he can, watch out!”

---of course, Nick Burdi started his pro career in the Twins system - drafted in 2014 from U of Louisville. Pitched in the Twins' minor-league system from 2014 to 2017. eventually made to it the majors with the Pirates from 2018-20. then after two years lost to injuries, showed up with the Cubs in 2023 and is now with the Yankees. in MLB has only 19 appearances with 1 save. 15.8 K per 9 innings, but 5.9 BB per 9 innings.
I just scrolled to us - thanks

Ryan Jeffers and his wife.

View attachment 30469
Kills me every time I see something like this, no matter who it is. I can't even begin to imagine the pain. I remember having a couple of scares during my wife's pregnancies and it was the scariest feeling ever. Wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I imagine it's that much worse being a public figure where you kind of have to tell the public.

Bubble wrap him until Opening Day.
I know you're joking, but Buxton is probably the one guy I hope they play up to 5 times per week in Spring Training.

These last few weeks they have to figure out if he is even capable of withstanding the workload.

Buxton's 1st three at-bats today:
Homer
Triple
Triple

If this is a dream, then please Lord, let me go on dreaming.
Our core guys seem to be really zoned in at the plate...even Vasquez which is distrusting and fun all at the same time. On the other hand, Wallner looks like he's swinging at bacteria.

I know you're joking, but Buxton is probably the one guy I hope they play up to 5 times per week in Spring Training.

These last few weeks they have to figure out if he is even capable of withstanding the workload.
Partially. He's playing back to back today. If that goes OK I'd minimize his use the last two weeks if St. It's not like he's out of shape. Either the knee is OK or it isn't.

Partially. He's playing back to back today. If that goes OK I'd minimize his use the last two weeks if St. It's not like he's out of shape. Either the knee is OK or it isn't.
I suppose, but if he's not capable of playing 40+ innings in the outfield over the course of a week, I would rather know sooner than later.

It's easy to be cynical. maybe too easy.

and the Twins have certainly not earned a lot of confidence in how they handle medical situations.

but maybe this time, something actually worked out in the Twins' favor. you can say it took too long to diagnose and treat correctly, but IF Buxton is truly healthy for the first time in 2 years, that makes a huge difference for this team.

cross your fingers and hope this is for real. it would sure be fun to watch.

I mean it’s only some small embers, but Johan is getting rocked in spring training. Giving up lots of hard contact even on the outs.

Our core guys seem to be really zoned in at the plate...even Vasquez which is distrusting and fun all at the same time. On the other hand, Wallner looks like he's swinging at bacteria.
Vasquez lost weight over the winter as his competitive fires were stoked by Jeffers’ emergence and being a pine bro in the playoffs; had to be rough to watch, especially against your old club.

He said he got a later start to his offseason program as he waited to get signed, last season.

Last edited:

I mean it’s only some small embers, but Johan is getting rocked in spring training. Giving up lots of hard contact even on the outs.
His velocity is way down so far this spring. Since we haven't heard anything about him being hurt, I'm guessing they're just having him take it easy to begin with. His splitter today was almost 4 mph slower than normal last year.

It's easy to be cynical. maybe too easy.

and the Twins have certainly not earned a lot of confidence in how they handle medical situations.

but maybe this time, something actually worked out in the Twins' favor. you can say it took too long to diagnose and treat correctly, but IF Buxton is truly healthy for the first time in 2 years, that makes a huge difference for this team.

cross your fingers and hope this is for real. it would sure be fun to watch.
There’s your Right handed OF stick.

Correra also getting raves for his pain free movement; love that he didn’t complain about it last year ir use it as an excuse. Great Leader!

There’s your Right handed OF stick.

Correra also getting raves for his pain free movement; love that he didn’t complain about it last year ir use it as an excuse. Great Leader!
As it is for SON, I think all of us are totally enamored with the offensive and defensive potential of Buxton if he can just play 150+ games this season. Throw in a fully healthy Correa to boot. Fingers crossed.

As it is for SON, I think all of us are totally enamored with the offensive and defensive potential of Buxton if he can just play 150+ games this season. Throw in a fully healthy Correa to boot. Fingers crossed.
There's practically zero chance Buxton is going to play 150+ games. Even if he avoids the IL entirely, just not going to happen with rest days.

If he gets to 130 games and is productive throughout, everyone would be ecstatic.

ALCS bound?!🤞

There's practically zero chance Buxton is going to play 150+ games. Even if he avoids the IL entirely, just not going to happen with rest days.

If he gets to 130 games and is productive throughout, everyone would be ecstatic.
This ^^^^^

Yeah...I had a 182-game season in my melon for some reason. I suppose 150 games might've been a little to optimistic even for Lou Gehrig.

1980 National League Rookie of the Year, '81 World Series Champion, and '82 All-Star Steve Howe would have turned 66 today. He pitched 13 games for the Twins in 1985.

I suppose, but if he's not capable of playing 40+ innings in the outfield over the course of a week, I would rather know sooner than later.
They've pretty much made their bed on it at this point. If Buxton can't go it will be Margot/Castro in CF.

I'd say the ceiling for Buxton is 100-110 games in CF and 20 at DH.

Call me a dreamer (I'll call myself one), but I'm really hoping for a Paul Molitor arc for the rest of Buxton's career; as you may recall, the knock on Molitor through the '80s was that he was oft-injured and couldn't be counted on and then through his 30's he developed into the HOF'er that he became, largely because he was healthy, playing over 150 games in 6 of 8 full seasons between the age of 31 and 39 (and in 1994, a strike shortened season, playing all the games that year).

Now, setting their numbers side by side, Molitor is a veritable Cal Ripken Jr. through his 20's and I'm not predicting anything--just leaning really heavily on the hope that shades of Molitor's second act can happen for Buxton. He's been a top 3 Twin in terms of electricity since I've been watching (and I could be conservative with that--it could be him and Puck), which has made it so frustrating to see his inability to stay healthy. Hall of Fame talent there, if we see 75% of him this year, I imagine we'd all be ecstatic.

Last edited:

Top Bottom