All Things 2023 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Training camp is upon us.

Hope springs eternal.

This is our year.

Skol Vikes!!

Per Shooter:

It’s clear that unless Danielle Hunter gets a much bigger contract before Vikings training camp begins next week, he won’t be showing up.

It’s a good guess that the Vikings are willing to improve the team’s top pass rusher’s $5.5 million salary for the coming season to $15 million plus incentives, but are reluctant, because of his injury history, to guarantee a deal for 2024 or beyond. It could take at least a two-year guaranteed contract in the $35 million to $40 million range to keep Hunter, 28, happy in Minnesota.

If Hunter is a no-show for training camp, he would get fined on a daily basis. If he elected not to show up for the regular season, he would lose game checks.

Coming out of LSU in 2018, Hunter signed an under-market $72 million, five-year contract. He also missed a season and a half due to injuries. Had he not missed those seasons, he would have received a long-term guaranteed deal from the Vikings. Now, negotiations could get ugly.

Skol Vikes!!

Was Hunter’s contract “under market “ when he signed it? I feel like they paid him before he really broke out. He then probably outperformed the contract some as well. I don’t feel too bad for him about the situation he’s in right now considering his injury history. I wouldn’t be against getting a bump in pay either though.

Was Hunter’s contract “under market “ when he signed it? I feel like they paid him before he really broke out. He then probably outperformed the contract some as well. I don’t feel too bad for him about the situation he’s in right now considering his injury history. I wouldn’t be against getting a bump in pay either though.
He got paid big money for 2 years without basically not. being on the field.

You know what.........f--- him!

commanders team sold for 6 billion dollars. The owners could pay the players more.

Per Souhan:

Minnesota Vikings

— 2022 regular season: 13-4.

— Postseason: Lost in the first round at home to the New York Giants, 31-24.

Reasons for optimism:

1. The NFC North again looks weak.
  2. This will be the first time Kirk Cousins will play under the same offensive coaches for a second consecutive year since 2016.
  3. Head coach Kevin O'Connell and general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah are coming off their first full offseason, and they replaced Ed Donatell at defensive coordinator with the highly-regarded Brian Flores, who should make the Vikings' defense much more aggressive and much less predictable.
  4. First-round draft pick Jordan Addison will give the Vikings a dynamic receiving corps including superstar Justin Jefferson, K.J. Osborn and tight end T.J. Hockenson.
  5. Christian Darrisaw and Brian O'Neill are becoming one of the best sets of tackles in the NFL, and center Garrett Bradbury improved last season.
  6. Cousins looked more like a leader and clutch performer than ever before in 2022.
  7. The Vikings' two top draft picks in 2022 — safety Lewis Cine and cornerback Andrew Booth — should win starting jobs after missing most of last year with injuries.
Reasons for pessimism:

1. Addison was arrested for driving 140 mph on I-94 last week, and he missed practice time earlier this summer with an undisclosed injury.
  2. While the Vikings are making a sound business decision in moving on from star running back Dalvin Cook, that doesn't mean that they'll be able to replace his big plays — and his big plays made the difference in about five games last year.
  3. The Vikings went 13-4 despite being outscored by three points over the course of the season. If they regress in close games, they'll have trouble reaching double-digit victories again.
  4. Flores is a quality coach, but he can't be sure how his cornerbacks or pass rush will perform. Star defensive end Danielle Hunter wants a new contract, and Hunter and the departed Za'Darius Smith were the keys to the Vikings' pass rush last season.
My view:

The Vikings could be a better, more well-rounded team this season and not reach 13 victories. Call it 11-6, with another division title and another first-round playoff loss.

Skol Vikes!!

Skol Vikes!!
His agent deserves a huge raise:

1. Negotiated last contract with huge front-loaded money (might've been team-friendly at that time, too).

2. Got him up to $15M more for this season with incentives.

3. Got him a "no tag" agreement eliminating any leverage the Vikings might have making him a true unrestricted free agent next year.

Recent rumors indicated we were willing to move him and this signing tells me teams weren't offering much in return.

Last edited:

I have a lot of questions - because in a league with a hard salary cap, every contract potentially impacts every other contract:

-what does this signing mean for the current season's salary cap?
-how does this signing impact efforts to sign Jefferson to a new deal?
-how does this signing impact efforts to sign Hockenson to a new deal?
-how does this signing impact any potential efforts to sign Cousins to a new deal?

It's hard to judge one move without knowing the short-term and long-term implications of that move.

His agent deserves a huge raise:

1. Negotiated last contract with huge front-loaded money (might've been team-friendly at that time, too).

2. Got him up to $15M more for this season with incentives.

3. Got him a "no tag" agreement eliminating any leverage the Vikings might have making him a true unrestricted free agent next year.

Recent rumors indicated we were willing to move him and this signing tells me teams weren't offering much in return.

100%, nailed it on all counts. It's a good deal for both sides really. If he performs this season, he absolutely should cash in.

They need this guy badly. It's good to see the teammates when they know what he went through.

#25 doing the windmill is pretty awesome! Anyone know what that is?

I guess the insult "one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL" that Payton lobbed at Hackett gives him cover and leaves room for Les Steckel to be THE worst.

Am I wrong to be very underwhelmed by our three down linemen? Tonga, Phillips, Lowry.
Would Tonga or Lowry even start on other teams? Phillips is serviceable, but not a difference maker.

Am I wrong to be very underwhelmed by our three down linemen? Tonga, Phillips, Lowry.
Would Tonga or Lowry even start on other teams? Phillips is serviceable, but not a difference maker.
Outside of Dirty Harry, the entire middle of the Viking's defense is worrisome.

I agree. At linebacker as well I don't think any of us were particularly impressed with Hicks last season and Aasamoah is an unknown.

I expect Asamoah to excel in Flores' system. I think he's going to be a beast for the Vikings.

Do we need to worry much about our defense? We have Justin Jefferson. We'll just outscore everybody.

Vikings OC talked very convincingly today about the difficulty of going against Flores's defense in camp. Keeping in mind that this time last year glowing words were also being said about Donatell's defense, it is still really nice to hear these words from Phillips.

Still very skeptical as our defense still lacks talent imo. I'd be stunned if our defense finished even middle of the pack.

Vikings OC talked very convincingly today about the difficulty of going against Flores's defense in camp. Keeping in mind that this time last year glowing words were also being said about Donatell's defense, it is still really nice to hear these words from Phillips.

Still very skeptical as our defense still lacks talent imo. I'd be stunned if our defense finished even middle of the pack.
Our defense sucks!

I'm hoping Flores can at least get a few stops that wouldn't have happened last year.

There were games where the other team never punted or punted once. It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

Our defense sucks!

I'm hoping Flores can at least get a few stops that wouldn't have happened last year.

There were games where the other team never punted or punted once. It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

It really was bad. Finished only ahead of bears and cardinals in points allowed.

We don't have much of an infusion of new talent this season either. Improvement is going to have to come via Flores to even approach league average

Our defense sucks!

Most exciting Viking season I ever saw.

Most exciting Viking season I ever saw.
Luckiest one I ever saw, and it ain't close.

Multiple statements can be true at the same time.

As atrocious as the Vikings defense was, there were several games they came up big in the clutch with a stop or TO, ie Bears at home, Patriots, and Bills in OT. Often it should not of needed to come down to that, still it was exciting and dramatic.

Top Bottom