All Things 2023 D2/D3 Hoops

Looks like this is Concordia's first trip to the MIAC tourney since 2016 as well.

In other non-division I news, a Minnesota team is in the national NJCAA rankings. Minnesota North College-Rainy River (Formerly Rainy River Community College) is 22-1 and ranked No. 4 in the NJCAA DIII. I went to Rainy River for my AA so it's been great to see them surge in bball.
Cobbers are dangerous and could be a tough out. They are one of 2 MIAC teams to beat the Johnnies, and the only one win at Collegeville. Only time I saw them was at Carleton a couple of weeks ago. Looked solid in a losing effort.

I just noticed both of St John's losses in the MIAC were by 1 pt. Other game was at Hamline. They were 4 pts away from running the table.

Here are the MIAC Men's Basketball standings ahead of the Season Finale:

St. John's 18-2 (Regular Season Champion & #1 Seed Clinched)
Carleton 13-6
Hamline 13-6
Gustavus 13-6
Concordia 11-8
Bethel 9-10
-----
St. Olaf 8-11
St. Mary's 7-12
Augsburg 6-13
Macalester 5-14
St. Scholastica 2-17

Schedule 2/17/2024 all Games 3 PM:

Hamline @ Gustavus
St. Scholastica @ Concordia
Bethel @ St Olaf
Augsburg @ Macalester
St. Mary's @ Carleton

By virtue of Carleton sweeping Hamline and splitting with Gustavus, they would clinch the #2 Seed and a Bye by beating St Mary's, by my calculation.

If Carleton loses, then the winner of the Hamline-Gustavus jumps into the #2 spot. Carleton would still get the #3 seed if Gustavus wins, but I am not sure of the 3/4 tiebreaker in the event that Hamline wins.

Concordia is locked into the # 5 seed.

For the 6th and final MIAC Playoff berth Bethel at St Olaf is winner take all, given that it would be a season sweep for the Oles. St Olaf has dropped 3 straight and 7 of the last 8.
Of the games that impacted the Playoff Seeding:

Bethel over St Olaf
Gustavus over Hamline
Carleton over St Mary's

Seeding:

#1 - St John's / Bye
#2 - Carleton / Bye

Tuesday Night:

#3 - Gustavus hosts #6 Bethel
#4 - Hamline hosts #5 Concordia

Last edited:

Minnesota State Moorhead and Rainy River both lost tonight, FML.

Of the games that impacted the Playoff Seeding:

Bethel over St Olaf
Gustavus over Hamline
Carleton over St Mary's

Seeding:

#1 - St John's / Bye
#2 - Carleton / Bye

Tuesday Night:

#3 - Gustavus hosts #6 Bethel
#4 - Hamline hosts #5 Concordia
Link to the official MIAC Playoff release:

FWIW - final MIAC standings

Mens's:
St. John's 18-2/20-5
Carleton 14-6/17-8
Gustavus 14-6/15-10
Hamline 13-7/15-10
Concordia 12-8/16-9
Bethel 10-10/15-12
---------------------
St. Olaf 8-12/9-16
St. Mary's 7-13/8-17
Macalester 6-14/10-15
Augsburg 6-14/8-17
St. Scholastica 2-18/3-22

men's playoffs
Tues, Feb 20
#6 Bethel at #3 Gustavus
#5 Concordia at #4 Hamline

Thurs, Feb 22
#1 St. John's hosts lower seeded team remaining
#2 Carleton hosts higher seeded team remaining

Championship Sat Feb 24 - Highest remaining seed hosts

Women's:
Gustavus 19-1/23-2
Concordia 18-2/19-4
St. Catherine 14-6/18-7
Bethel 13-7/15-10
St. Benedict 12-8/14-10
Hamline 10-10/12-12
-------------------------
St. Scholastica 7-13/10-14
Macalester 7-13/10-15
Augsburg 7-13/8-15
St. Olaf 3-17/4-20
St. Mary's 0-20/2-22
Carleton -- not participating--

Women's playoffs--
Tues, Feb 20:
#6 Hamline at #3 St. Catherine
#5 St. Benedict at #4 Bethel

Thurs, Feb 22 - semis
#1 Gustavus hosts lowest seeded team remaining
#2 Concordia hosts higher seeded team remaining

men's playoffs
Tues, Feb 20
#6 Bethel at #3 Gustavus
#5 Concordia at #4 Hamline

Thurs, Feb 22
#1 St. John's hosts lower seeded team remaining
#2 Carleton hosts higher seeded team remaining

Home teams prevailed tonight setting up on Thursday night:

#4 Hamline at #1 St Johns
#3 Gustavus at #2 Carleton

Should be a fun game at West Gym. Season split where both teams won the home game. Knights have had a couple extra days rest, and I hope that makes a difference for them. SJU might get an at-large bid, but in all likelihood the MIAC champion will be the only team to make the tourney this year

meanwhile, in the MIAC women's playoffs - on Tuesday

St. Catherine 70, Hamline 65
St. Benedict 72, Bethel 69 (#5 seed over #4 seed)

so Thursday we have
St. Benedict at #1 Gustavus
St. Catherine at #2 Concordia

as long as I'm here - D3 Basketball polls (through games of Sunday, Feb 18)

MEN: (1st place votes)
1. Hampden-Sydney (21)
2. Randolph-Macon (4)
3. John Carroll
4. Trinity (Connecticut)
5. Oswego State..................
15. UW-Platteville
others receiving votes: St. John's (27th overall),

WOMEN:
1. New York University (22)
2. Transylvania (3)
3. Rhode Island College
4. Christopher Newport
5. Gustavus (was 7th last week)............
8. UW-Whitewater
14. UW-Oshkosh
others receiving votes: Concordia-Moorhead (28th overall)

Just as crazy in Northfield. Knights had a 13 pt lead with 2:40 to play. Fouled on a made 3 pt shot which led to a 4 pt play to cut it to 9. Later got a Technical, missed some FTs all while the Gusties were bombing them from deep.

Knights made a FT under 5 seconds to go up 2, only to have the Gusties tie it on a coast to coast drive to the hoop at the buzzer.

Gustavus eventually outlasted Carleton to win 124-116 in 2OTs. Championship game in St Peter against Hamline on Saturday night.

Knights lost their composure.
#lategamemeltdown

Last edited:

Just as crazy in Northfield. Knights had a 13 pt lead with 2:40 to play. Fouled on a made 3 pt shot which led to a 4 pt play to cut it to 9. Later got a Technical, missed some FTs all while the Gusties were bombing them from deep.

Knights made a FT under 5 seconds to go up 2, only to have the Gusties tie it on a coast to coast drive to the hoop at the buzzer.

Gustavus eventually outlasted Carleton to win 126-116 in 2OTs. Championship game in St Peter against Hamline on Saturday night.

#lategamemeltdown
That was frustrating as a Carleton fan. Seeing the Freshman slip on a 3, and then getting sworn and yelled at by fans behind gustie bench. Cannot lose composure there though

That was frustrating as a Carleton fan. Seeing the Freshman slip on a 3, and then getting sworn and yelled at by fans behind gustie bench. Cannot lose composure there though
Yeah, that was a game changer.

The botched in bounds play at the end of the 1st OT (illegal pass behind the baseline after a turnover, not a made basket) down 1 pt was also crucial.

Luckily recovered to send it to another OT. With so much foul trouble and only a 7 player rotation at that point, not a great spot to be in.

recap: MIAC semi-finals (all roads lead to St. Peter)

Men:
#4 Hamline 83, #1 St. John's 80
#3 Gustavus 124, #2 Carleton 116 in 2OT

Championship at 7pm Saturday
#4 Hamline at #3 Gustavus (teams split series in regular season)

Women:
#1 Gustavus 68, #5 St. Benedict 45
#2 Concordia 80, #3 St. Catherine 71

Championship at 3:00pm Saturday
#2 Concordia at #1 Gustavus (teams split series in regular season)

Gusties up 40-36 over the Knights at the half. has an 8 point lead at about the 10 min mark, Gustavis finished the half strong.

Gustavus eventually outlasted Carleton to win 124-116 in 2OTs. Championship game in St Peter against Hamline on Saturday night.

#lategamemeltdown
I was at the game as well. Lots of ways it could have gone to either team.
  • Carleton got into foul trouble in the first 10 minutes of the game - I literally thought to myself at that time that they'd have to win in regulation because if it goes to overtime they're not going to have any players left. They ended up subbing a LOT to try to keep players from picking up the fifth foul - three in and three out every time there was a change in possession.
  • And yes, Gustavis hit some really deep desperation threes to get it into overtime. Give 'em credit for hitting them.
  • That overtime out-of-bounds play where Carleton turned it over made no sense. I was sitting right behind the bench at that point of the game and saw the coach draw it up and was thinking, "why are you focusing on some new inbounds play vs scoring?". It's not like Carleton was having trouble inbounding the ball.
  • On the play you mention where the Knights made a FT under 5 seconds to go up 2, only to have the Gusties tie it on a coast-to-coast drive to the hoop at the buzzer, did Gustavis call a timeout after the Knights scored when they didn't have any left? I didn't understand why the play stopped giving Gustavis a chance to set the play.
  • And yes, the Gustavis fans didn't have a lot of class. Students I get, but the adults after the game were IMO out of line with the smack talk and swearing (not sure if you heard all that, but it wasn't a great vibe). Is there some sort of deep rivalry between the two colleges?

Gusties up 40-36 over the Knights at the half. has an 8 point lead at about the 10 min mark, Gustavis finished the half strong.

• Carleton got into foul trouble in the first 10 minutes of the game - I literally thought to myself at that time that they'd have to win in regulation because if it goes to overtime they're not going to have any players left. They ended up subbing a LOT to try to keep players from picking up the fifth foul - three in and three out every time there was a change in possession.
  • And yes, Gustavis hit some really deep desperation threes to get it into overtime. Give 'em credit for hitting them.
  • That overtime out-of-bounds play where Carleton turned it over made no sense. I was sitting right behind the bench at that point of the game and saw the coach draw it up and was thinking, "why are you focusing on some new inbounds play vs scoring?". It's not like Carleton was having trouble inbounding the ball.
  • On the play you mention where the Knights made a FT under 5 seconds to go up 2, only to have the Gusties tie it on a coast-to-coast drive to the hoop at the buzzer, did Gustavis call a timeout after the Knights scored when they didn't have any left? I didn't understand why the play stopped giving Gustavis a chance to set the play.
  • And yes, the Gustavis fans didn't have a lot of class. Students I get, but the adults after the game were IMO out of line with the smack talk and swearing (not sure if you heard all that, but it wasn't a great vibe). Is there some sort of deep rivalry between the two colleges?
Agree on the 1st half also costing the Knights. The Gusties closed out the half on a 18-4 run, sort of a harbinger for the 2nd half.

I also had similar thoughts on the early foul trouble, especially on Harris. His two early reach ins were ill advised.

As for the regulation buzzer beater, I don't recall any TO beforehand. I do think that clock started inadvertently on the foul itself, and the officials had to reset. There were several of those down the stretch which gave the teams "bonus" TOs.

I was sitting midcourt opposite of the benches, from over there I was not aware of the vitreal from the Gusties faithful. Also not aware of any bad blood between the schools/fan bases, but I didn't see either regular season game this year. About the only history I know is that both are solid programs, very often competing for top seeds and in the playoffs.

Gustavus investing and possibly the biggest benefactor of St. Thomas leaving the MIAC outside of St. John's.

Current Carleton student weighing in. In terms of athletics, there is a rivalry between GAC and Carleton, but only because lots of interactions with GAC athletes at games over years have been of them being cocky and stuck-up. At MIAC Soccer semifinal at Carleton there was pushing and shoving after the final whistle, classless actions from Gustavus players and fans after game. While Carleton has a rivalry with Olaf its a lot more respectful than rivalry with GAC

Current Carleton student weighing in. In terms of athletics, there is a rivalry between GAC and Carleton, but only because lots of interactions with GAC athletes at games over years have been of them being cocky and stuck-up. At MIAC Soccer semifinal at Carleton there was pushing and shoving after the final whistle, classless actions from Gustavus players and fans after game. While Carleton has a rivalry with Olaf its a lot more respectful than rivalry with GAC
Ya, I thought it was pretty strange. I moved around a lot during the game (I tend to sit a lot at work, and don't want to sit more in the evening, so I stand quite a bit during games - just a weird quirk I've got I guess against sitting too much). I happened to be standing in the back near the Gustavis section as the game ended, so I overhead it a lot more than say someone on the Carleton side of the court. They won, you'd think they'd be more into cheering their team rather than going after some of the Carleton fans (not physically, just the words). Again, these were adults doing it, not students. I really don't see that at MIAC games, it's more of a "thanks for coming, hope you do well in your other games" sort of vibe among the fans versus what they were saying. Oh well, it was still a fun game to see.

and the results......MIAC playoff Championship games: one close - one not - but either way, it's a Gustie Day.

MEN:
#3 Gustavus 72, #4 Hamline 71
-Gustavus jumped out to a ten-point lead by halftime before Hamline closed the gap, outscoring the Gusties by a margin of 43-to-34 in the second half.
The Pipers took over possession with eight seconds left in regulation and a chance to win a second straight playoff game by beating the buzzer; however, Bradley Cimperman's shot came up short and the Gusties hung on for a 72-71 win to close out an outstanding MIAC Playoff.
-With the victory, Gustavus earned the MIAC's automatic qualifier to the 2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. This is the program's 14th Tournament berth and first since 2012.

WOMEN:
#1 Gustavus 66, #2 Concordia 38
--Gustavus led from start to finish, shooting 52.8 percent from the field and 37.5 percent from three while holding the Cobbers to 22.6 percent from the floor and 22.2 percent from long range.
--With the victory, Gustavus earned the MIAC's automatic qualifier to the 2024 NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament. This is the tenth time in program history the Gusties will head to the national tournament,

The field for the D3 National Tournament (Men and Women) will be announced on Monday.

Minnesota State Mankato won the NSIC regular season championship. Minnesota State Moorhead and Minnesota Duluth tied for second. Moorhead had the tiebreaker with Duluth having defeated them, but Duluth also beat Mankato this season, so they have the 2 seed in the tournament.

Here's the final standings, Minnesota teams in bold:
  • Minnesota State Mankato, 26-2 (20-2)
  • Minnesota State Moorhead, 24-4 (18-4)
  • Minnesota Duluth, 23-5 (18-4)
  • Minot State, 20-8 (15-7)
  • SW Minnesota State, 17-11 (14-8)
  • Winona State, 19-9 (14-8)
  • Augustana, 18-10 (13-9)
  • Sioux Falls, 12-16 (9-13)
  • Bemidji State, 13-15 (9-13)
  • Wayne State 16-13 (9-13)
  • Northern State, 10-18 (8-14)
  • St. Cloud State, 12-16 (8-14)
  • Concordia-St. Paul, 10-18 (5-17)
  • Minnesota Crookston, 6-22 (3-19)
  • University of Mary, 7-21 (2-20)
Then, here's the bracket for the NSIC Tourney. The Dragons are the 2x defending NSIC Tournament Champions.

The Gustie men are heading to Platteville where they will take on Loras. Winners of their game will face the winner of the UW-Platteville/Bethany Luthern game.

No other At Larges for the MIAC.

D3 National Tournaments

MEN:
Friday, March 1 (at Platteville, WI)
Gustavus (18-10) vs Loras (23-5) 6:20pm
UW-Platteville (23-4) vs Bethany Lutheran (24-3) 8:50pm

winners meet on Saturday, March 2 at 7:50pm

WOMEN:
Fri, Mar 1 (at Oshkosh, WI)
Gustavus (25-2) vs Trine (21-7) 5:00pm
Webster (27-0) vs UW-Oshkosh (22-5) 7:30pm
--winners meet on Sat, Mar 2 at 7:00pm

Fri, Mar 1 (Waverly, IA)
Concordia-Moorhead (20-5) vs Illinois Wesleyan (22-5) 5:15pm
Wisconsin Lutheran (23-4) vs Wartburg (25-2) - 7:45pm
--winners meet on Sat, Mar 2 at 7:30pm

also in Women's field
UW Whitewater vs MN-Morris - Mar 1 @ 7:45pm
winner plays either Millikin U. or Willamette U.

(at Waukesha, WI)
UW-Stout vs Washington U. - Mar 1 @ 5:30pm
winner plays either Carroll U. or U of Puget Sound

D3 National Tournaments

MEN:

WOMEN:

Fri, Mar 1 (Waverly, IA)

also in Women's field

(at Waukesha, WI)
Shame the year that Concordia and MSUM are both really solid they didn't play each other, most year's they have a match-up. Concordia being a 20 win team may have produced a good game. Last time they played the Dragons won 89-52.

D3 National Tournaments

MEN:

WOMEN:

Fri, Mar 1 (Waverly, IA)

also in Women's field

(at Waukesha, WI)
What does the schools in bold signify?

What does the schools in bold signify?
Midwest teams - MN, WI and IA. Maybe I'm the only person who sees it this way, but I am interested to see how teams from this region do in national tournaments. Over the years during my radio career, I worked in all three states. so I don't take the attitude that only MN teams matter.

On the Women's side, I know a player for UW-Stout, so that's a team I'm watching.

Midwest teams - MN, WI and IA. Maybe I'm the only person who sees it this way, but I am interested to see how teams from this region do in national tournaments. Over the years during my radio career, I worked in all three states. so I don't take the attitude that only MN teams matter.

On the Women's side, I know a player for UW-Stout, so that's a team I'm watching.
Ok thanks, that's fair, it's just that I was confused because Bethany Lutheran (12 miles south of Gustavus) was not also bolded.

Also Loras is in Dubuque, IA. Can't say I had ever heard of the school prior to the bracket being released.

Ok thanks, that's fair, it's just that I was confused because Bethany Lutheran (12 miles south of Gustavus) was not also bolded.

Also Loras is in Dubuque, IA. Can't say I had ever heard of the school prior to the bracket being released.

I missed Bethany Lutheran. I'm aware of the school - but I honestly did not know their team was having that type of season. when I saw the name in the bracket, I thought it was from some other part of the country. (their Coach - Pat Garvin - is a Jackson County Central grad - heck of a player in HS).

Loras is a member of the American Rivers Conference - formerly known as the Iowa Conference. (Luther, Wartburg, Simpson, Central etc). It's a long story, but Loras left the Iowa Conference in 1954 and re-joined in 1986. and their nickname - the "DuHawks" which is short for Dubuque Hawks.

Top Bottom