All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

It is difficult remaining positive looking at similar new coaches who were hired about the same time Ben Johnson was and their ability so far to ensemble a roster for 2021-2022....The only incoming High School player is Treyton Thompson who was a Pitino's recruit, if you check new coaches it seems almost everyone was able to land a decent H.S. pickup in their first month,. Some new coaches like Pitino had players follow them {Mashburn} from their previous school...The basketball portal was overloaded with talent due to a extended year & open transfer rules because of the pandemic, again several new coaches thrived on restocking rosters with talent. The Gopher were able to sign mostly mid-major college players and one D-2 who were willing to return to their home state. Either Ben Johnson has some special plan that will elevate his roster this fall or next year...or....he lacks in recruiting tactics compared to other new coaches.....

It is difficult remaining positive looking at similar new coaches who were hired about the same time Ben Johnson was and their ability so far to ensemble a roster for 2021-2022....The only incoming High School player is Treyton Thompson who was a Pitino's recruit, if you check new coaches it seems almost everyone was able to land a decent H.S. pickup in their first month,. Some new coaches like Pitino had players follow them {Mashburn} from their previous school...The basketball portal was overloaded with talent due to a extended year & open transfer rules because of the pandemic, again several new coaches thrived on restocking rosters with talent. The Gopher were able to sign mostly mid-major college players and one D-2 who were willing to return to their home state. Either Ben Johnson has some special plan that will elevate his roster this fall or next year...or....he lacks in recruiting tactics compared to other new coaches.....

Fox was a big land, though if you read his comments prior to his decision, he loved the Gophers growing up, might have been the easiest sell of BJs career.

Battle was decent pick up.

Beyond that, I don't know what teams we beat for the remaining players services.

God you’re miserable. Do you kick your dog every morning?

God you’re miserable. Do you kick your dog every morning?
Far from miserable, realistic on what appears to be a Gophers team not able to recruit on the same level with similar teams, for example Iowa State, with a new coach in March 2021 {T.J. Otzelberger} a losing record {2-22} yet they have recruited several transfers like 4-star forward Tristian Enaruna from Kansas, even Mn. natives Robert Jones & Gabe Kalscheur..Iowa State has also landed two-4-star High School recruits in guards Eli King & Tyrese Hunter...Both new coaches, both teams with bad previous records, both with equal time to recruit new players...Its obvious who did a better job in recruiting so far.....note... I like dogs,.........!!!

Last edited:

Far from miserable, realistic on what appears to be a Gophers team not able to recruit on the same level with similar teams, for example Iowa State, with a new coach in March 2021 {T.J. Otzelberger} a losing record {2-22} yet they have recruited several transfers like 4-star forward Tristian Enaruna from Kansas, even Mn. natives Robert Jones & Gabe Kalscheur..Iowa State has also landed two-4-star High School recruits in guards Eli King & Tyrese Hunter...Both new coaches, both teams with bad previous records, both with equal time to recruit new players...Its obvious who did a better job in recruiting so far.....note... I like dogs,.........!!!

Defenders of the current state of gopher basketball wont look at facts. It's ok.

First, we just need a full team, period.

Anyone know when steffon mitchell is suppose to announce a school or nba draft?

Defenders of the current state of gopher basketball wont look at facts. It's ok.

First, we just need a full team, period.

Anyone know when steffon mitchell is suppose to announce a school or nba draft?
Have to imagine it is soon, hasn't he narrowed down to just us and Utah?

Does not look good right now, Coyle may have completely over estimated his ability to recruit, if you cant do that you aren't going to win no matter how good of a coach you are.

No you are not realistic , you are chicken little personified, want instant gratification and if you don’t get it, “the sky is falling”....

Looking at your “likes” on this post, miserable attracts miserable.

No you are not realistic , you are chicken little personified, want instant gratification and if you don’t get it, “the sky is falling”....
I want to be wrong about Johnson 's not able to land talent for 2021-22 team compared to similar new coaches at other colleges, during the same period within their hiring, so far his recruiting is lacking, I have always been a Gopher fan and want him to be succeed beyond any previous Minnesota coach.... One thing you could have right, "the sky might have fallen" when it came to returning players, in case you are media blind we lost "10" ...meaning....we might be the only team in the nation with only one returning player....

Last edited:

I’m not sure with everything that has occurred in Minneapolis the past year it hasn’t hurt recruiting. Maybe young kids don’t look at things like an old white guy does however. Gophers need to get Mitchell and get some recruiting momentum and a proven high major player to give us quality minutes .

Why don't you go follow New Mexico....your trolling gets old. You obviously aren't a Gopher fan as you just added this account less than two months ago only to voice your fake concern about the status of the Gopher basketball program.

Ody Oguama to Cincinnati.

Cincinnati: “It’s been going well. They reach out to me almost every day. If it’s not coach Miller it’s one of the assistants. I had a meeting with the staff and I’ve just been in close contact with them because they talk to me so often. They expressed how their offense is run given that it's predicated amongst two post players running the floor and playing off each other and ball movement. They also explained to me how the relationship aspect is so important to them. I talked to former players under his staff and heard the same thing so it’s good.”

With a decision coming in the near future, Oguama's main thing is to come into a family oriented environment that can help him grow as a player.

“Not saying I want to come in and play 40 minutes a game or anything, I just want a welcoming family oriented atmosphere,” he said. “Somewhere where their culture is good, where everybody is working and helping each other while I can improve as a player and develop a lot more underneath whoever I do land with.”

Why don't you go follow New Mexico....your trolling gets old. You obviously aren't a Gopher fan as you just added this account less than two months ago only to voice your fake concern about the status of the Gopher basketball program.
Why would it matter how long I have been on the MB or returned in this area, I have always been Gopher fan since the days of Clem Haskins, who I was able to know...If you think I'm the only one with concerns, maybe take the time read all the postings on this forum, several have voiced a similar opinion...Bottom line we want the Gophers and Ben Johnson to be successful moving forward, I assume you feel the same if you are a true Gopher fan or had involvement at one time in basketball....

If you believe Doogie - he was on with Mackey and Judd, and said the Gophers' focus now is on big men. He said they are contacting a lot of players who fall into the PF or C category. Didn't give any names. Doogie also said that he reached out to people close to Both Gach who told him Gach was not going into the portal. so take that for what you think it is worth.

Why would it matter how long I have been on the MB or returned in this area, I have always been Gopher fan since the days of Clem Haskins, who I was able to know...If you think I'm the only one with concerns, maybe take the time read all the postings on this forum, several have voiced a similar opinion...Bottom line we want the Gophers and Ben Johnson to be successful moving forward, I assume you feel the same if you are a true Gopher fan or had involvement at one time in basketball....

Well I guess the test will be if you are still around if they do better than you expect them to do....or if you just come on here to complain and rip the coaching staff when it's convenient for you. We are about 6 months away from them playing their first game and haven't even filled out the roster yet...but you have the skill of seeing into the future....pretty impressive. How about you make judgements based on actual results instead of recruits you have never even seen play.

Well I guess the test will be if you are still around if they do better than you expect them to do....or if you just come on here to complain and rip the coaching staff when it's convenient for you. We are about 6 months away from them playing their first game and haven't even filled out the roster yet...but you have the skill of seeing into the future....pretty impressive. How about you make judgements based on actual results instead of recruits you have never even seen play.
The point is everyone on this MB is waiting to see who or what type of players will be added, the portal still is receiving a few recent serviceable additions but overall it has been deleted of quality rated players that filled a high percentage of other college rosters. .I think we would like to see Minnesota be competitive in 2021-22 as a stepping stone in aiding recruiting in the following years...In regards how I or anyone thinks the future team will perform , maybe it would help knowing who is on the roster, right now its far from filled...This is based on common sense not mind reading...And your loose assumption is incorrect about seeing a new recruit play, I was able to watch Parker Fox in a game, I think he will be a damn good player for the Gophers, but in the Big Ten you need a balanced overall team...

Have to imagine it is soon, hasn't he narrowed down to just us and Utah?

In one source I reviewed, Mitchell was listed among those (like Brandon Johnson) who were considering going through the motions of the pre-draft activities. There is a camp, scheduled for latter June, that precedes the NBA draft combine. The last time they held it (2019), 11 players were selected from that camp to the NBA combine. If Mitchell is participating in that process, I don't suspect we'll hear anything until late June.

Didn't do much last year for Georgetown but saw him a few times in HS and I think he has potential for sure. Would definitely be excited about him as a pickup. People are saying he's friends with Patrick Baldwin Jr. and might go to Milwaukee though.

Didn't do much last year for Georgetown but saw him a few times in HS and I think he has potential for sure. Would definitely be excited about him as a pickup. People are saying he's friends with Patrick Baldwin Jr. and might go to Milwaukee though.
He looks like he is ready to ball with umw or Marquette. For sure not WI.

Top Bottom