All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

seems like if we're going to add in 2016 that we should find a shooter, not a big man

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not impressed with his game. Low level conference teams are the only ones interested.

Not impressed with his game. Low level conference teams are the only ones interested.

Pittsburgh and Baylor are now considered low level conference teams?

Your favorite team signed three guys last year who had less impressive offers.

per Sid:

• Gophers basketball recruit Eric Curry out of Little Rock, Ark., a 6-8 forward that 247 Sports has ranked as a four-star recruit and the 110th-best player in the nation, will miss the rest of this season for Southwest Christian Academy because of a hip injury. Meanwhile, Amir Coffey, the Hopkins standout, is currently ranked No. 32 in the country by ESPN.com and the final Gophers recruit, Michael Hurt, out of Rochester John Marshall, is ranked as the second-best prospect in the state by ESPN, but is not ranked nationally.

http://www.startribune.com/mitchell-making-a-case-to-stay-on-as-wolves-coach/369548191/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Gophers basketball recruit Eric Curry out of Little Rock, Ark., a 6-8 forward that 247 Sports has ranked as a four-star recruit and the 110th-best player in the nation, will miss the rest of this season for Southwest Christian Academy because of a hip injury. Meanwhile, Amir Coffey, the Hopkins standout, is currently ranked No. 32 in the country by ESPN.com and the final Gophers recruit, Michael Hurt, out of Rochester John Marshall, is ranked as the second-best prospect in the state by ESPN, but is not ranked nationally.

http://www.startribune.com/mitchell-making-a-case-to-stay-on-as-wolves-coach/369548191/

Go Gophers!!
sweet....

Better not be degenerative or something like that.....

I agree. Seems like Arizona is always at the bottom of the the Pac-12

Arizona be pretty good:

Season Coach Overall Conference Standing Postseason
2009–10 Arizona 16–15 10–8 4th
2010–11 Arizona 30–8 14–4 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2011–12 Arizona 23–12 12–6 4th NIT First Round
2012–13 Arizona 27–8 12–6 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2013–14 Arizona 33–5 15–3 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2014–15 Arizona 34–4 16–2 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2015–16 Arizona 22–5 10–4
Arizona: 185–57 (.764) 89–33 (.730)

Arizona be pretty good:

Season Coach Overall Conference Standing Postseason
2009–10 Arizona 16–15 10–8 4th
2010–11 Arizona 30–8 14–4 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2011–12 Arizona 23–12 12–6 4th NIT First Round
2012–13 Arizona 27–8 12–6 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2013–14 Arizona 33–5 15–3 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2014–15 Arizona 34–4 16–2 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2015–16 Arizona 22–5 10–4
Arizona: 185–57 (.764) 89–33 (.730)

I was being sarcastic since builtbadgers said he wasn't impressed with Tshimanga's game and said only low level conference teams were interested in him.

I thought this was interesting because of the timing. Minnesota went to see this guy Monday

Coleman seems like nothing to be excited about. Listed at 6'1 190, Coleman is shooting 36.5% from the field and 30.7% from 3 and 62.3% from the line. If he shoots like that in junior college, imagine what he'd likely do playing high major D1 basketball.

I thought this was interesting because of the timing. Minnesota went to see this guy Monday

Coleman seems like nothing to be excited about. Listed at 6'1 190, Coleman is shooting 36.5% from the field and 30.7% from 3 and 62.3% from the line. If he shoots like that in junior college, imagine what he'd likely do playing high major D1 basketball.

zach lofton didn't shoot well before he transferred either and that seems to be working out

Well looks like we'll get to see Amir in the state tournament. Wayzata (previously beat Hopkins) got upset by Robbinsdale Cooper?! Cooper lost to Hopkins by 40 earlier in the season. Not exactly a tough section final matchup for Hopkins.

Hopkins-AV rematch looming??? Is it weird that I still think Hopkins winning that game would be an upset? Its hard to wrap my brain around Hopkins as an underdog

Gophers one of many schools represented at the prep championships today:

A couple names to keep an eye on. Tyson Jolly has decommitted from Cal due to the uncertainty around the program (his lead recruiter has been fired from the program and I guess it's possible Martin could still be in hot water). Jolly was a kid the Gophers looked at closely last Spring as a high schooler from Oklahoma but chose Cal over the Gophers and Gonzaga. Jolly then didn't qualify and went to Elev8 academy in Florida (see above post for a tweet from a couple weeks ago), but remained committed to Cal. I've already seen Jolly quoted as saying he might want to stay closer to home (Big 12) and he's got a lot of programs after him already that have had had more recent success than Minnesota.

The second name is Frankie Hughes who just decommitted from Louisville today. Hughes was scheduled for a Gopher visit last fall before Amir Coffey committed and the Gophers cancelled the visit because they were out of room. Hughes then got an offer from Papa Pitino and committed to Louisville later in the Fall. From what I've read so far it sounds like in this case Louisville might have had some buyers remorse and is already looking for a transfer with the now available scholarship.

One more name that doesn't have a direct Gopher tie, but might be worth keeping an eye on is Delaware guard Kory Holden. He'll have to sit out a year, but averaged 17.7 points and 4.2 assists as a Sophomore this past season.

Not sure where we get room for more recruits but hey I'd hope they never turn down talent at this point.

I'd be surprised if Diedou was back. It wouldn't shock me if at least one of the three suspended kids is gone, and who knows, kids transfer all the time.

I guess if I'm this Jolly kid, I don't know what Minnesota can offer me that Gonzaga can't unless I want to come in and just shoot a lot. Heck even Oklahoma would probably jump in on him as they lose quite a bit from this year's group.

Steffens Mitchell

Why do the Gophers appear to be showing no, or little, interest in Steffon Mitchell from Shakopee? He's 6'8, 220 and athletic. Very smooth on perimeter and can play inside. He is getting interest now from Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, & has been offered by Wichita State. Supposedly considering prep school to increase offers. Has a ton of smaller offers as well. Just seems like a kid that could help at the U. Anyone hearing anything?

per Sid:

Go Gophers!!

Has anyone heard any updates on our man Curry?

Steffon

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Steffon-Mitchell-78454/RecruitInterests

Listed on 247 as 6-5" 175lbs. He has no stars. Highest offer is the Dakota schools according to the sight. Anyone know if he is actually 6-8 220? Watched his video seems highly skilled but not a very athletic swing forward at the high division 1 level. He would be a nice walk on for a year and see if a scholarship opens up but I doubt he does that.

Why do the Gophers appear to be showing no, or little, interest in Steffon Mitchell from Shakopee? He's 6'8, 220 and athletic. Very smooth on perimeter and can play inside. He is getting interest now from Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, & has been offered by Wichita State. Supposedly considering prep school to increase offers. Has a ton of smaller offers as well. Just seems like a kid that could help at the U. Anyone hearing anything?

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Steffon-Mitchell-78454/RecruitInterests

Listed on 247 as 6-5" 175lbs. He has no stars. Highest offer is the Dakota schools according to the sight. Anyone know if he is actually 6-8 220? Watched his video seems highly skilled but not a very athletic swing forward at the high division 1 level. He would be a nice walk on for a year and see if a scholarship opens up but I doubt he does that.

That site is not updated at all. Rivals more current. He has a commitable offer from Wichita State, & just went on visit to ISU. Also has commitable offer from Utah State. He is legit 6'8.

It's hard to offer a kid when they have no scholarships available.

Honestly, if a schollie does open up, I think I'd rather bank it for 2017 than spend it on a lesser spring recruit.

We lucked out with Murphy last spring/summer --- we've been burned a lot more.

It's hard to offer a kid when they have no scholarships available.

Honestly, if a schollie does open up, I think I'd rather bank it for 2017 than spend it on a lesser spring recruit.

We lucked out with Murphy last spring/summer --- we've been burned a lot more.
If a scholarship does open up I think the first place they would look is the grad transfer market.

One will probably open up and if the right guy is available great, or else give it to Sharp for a year.

Agreed completely on the hitting up the grad transfer market.

Will be interesting to see if Pitino does have the opportunity to take on a transfer who may not play right away, if he'd be willing to. That would be telling about how comfortable he is with regards to the heat of his seat.

No idea if they will, but transfers are everywhere and with so many guys vying for PT next year, taking on a guy who could sit a year and help even more the following year wouldn't be the worst thing.

I'd rather get a grad transfer who is on the books for a year, can help for a year and then frees up a slot for the 2017 class though depending on the players.

Bad omen for Dorsey?

Bad omen for Dorsey?

No. Good omen for the program. Always be in position to get a guy you need if a player you have decides to move on or has to move on. I hope Dorsey stays but I am happy the the staff is taking action to improve the roster should something happen with Dorsey.

No. Good omen for the program. Always be in position to get a guy you need if a player you have decides to move on or has to move on. I hope Dorsey stays but I am happy the the staff is taking action to improve the roster should something happen with Dorsey.

His shooting splits at the JUCO level are 37%/31%/63%. He would also take up a scholarship for 2017. Count me as a big No Thanks for this guy.

Top Bottom