All Mountain West Honorable Menntion Karter Shaw commits!

This is even better news than the earlier OL commit. Shaw had to know that this upcoming year he's likely nothing more than a spot rotation guy. That means he's fine with waiting a year and then we've got ourselves an experienced upperclassman lineman sliding into a starting spot in 2022 when we lose a bunch of the big guys.

Great pickup. Love what Fleck is doing with transfers and additions to the class right now. Really filling things out nicely for next year and beyond.

Awesome! As some will say, "You never have enough offensive linemen!"

One of u guys were right when u posted a team is either growing or falling behind.

KARTER SHAW
POSITION OL
CLASS Sophomore
HT./WT. 6-4 / 305
HOMETOWN South Jordan, Utah
HIGHSCHOOL Herriman
Biography
2020 PRESEASON HONORS:
Athlon Sports Fourth-Team All-Mountain West.
HONORS: Academic All-Mountain West (2019); Mountain West Scholar-Athlete (2018).
2019 (REDSHIRT FRESHMAN SEASON): Started all 13 games at right guard and finished the season playing 889 snaps, including a season-high 89 against Colorado State (9/28)… Posted a team-best 39 knockdowns during the season, including a season-high eight against BYU (11/2)... Earned academic all-Mountain West honors

So what about Big Dan? Two OL in one day but he would be the #1 "pickup"

Damn, PJ is staying busy, I love the looks of the OL. Welcome aboard Karter!

Mo must be licking his chops - 1800+ yards or bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, PJ is staying busy, I love the looks of the OL. Welcome aboard Karter!

Yep, great pickup. Worst case he provides experienced depth next year and beyond. Best case he challenges for a starting spot right from the get go.

The Mountain West is a great league, don't get me wrong, but it is a full step down in competition from the Big Ten.

Do people really expect him to be challenging Olson, JMS, Andries, and Dunlap for starting (rotation) spots in the interior? Guys who've already proven they can play at a high level in the Big Ten. (And versus the highly touted Auburn DL! :cool: )

I think that's a bit high of an expectation.

I do expect open competition at a lot of positions this off-season. As it should be, of course.

The Mountain West is a great league, don't get me wrong, but it is a full step down in competition from the Big Ten.

Do people really expect him to be challenging Olson, JMS, Andries, and Dunlap for starting (rotation) spots in the interior? Guys who've already proven they can play at a high level in the Big Ten. (And versus the highly touted Auburn DL! :cool: )

I do expect open competition at a lot of positions this off-season. As it should be, of course.

In another thread (can't remember which one) I went through all the lineman on the Vikings roster, many were low rated out of high school and quite a few of them came from non power 5 conferences.

I have no clue how good this kid is going to be but I absolutely don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he could compete for and win a starting job. The expectation should be that he provides depth this year and most likely fills a starting role in 2022 but if he is good enough it wouldn't shock me to see him get in the mix in 2021 as well.

Moving from the Mountain West to the Big Ten is definitely a step up in competition, but he did very well in the Mountain West so clearly he has some ability. No matter what happens it looks like a great pickup for the team.

I don't, which is why I posted this week I thought it was odd that he'd either be offered PT or that a 2-year FBS starter would choose a school where he knows he wouldn't play right away. Guess he's patient (rare these days) OR there's something we don't know about the OL depth. Either way, you can't argue with adding talent so this is a great move IMO.

How many kids would want to play Big Ten Football if given an opportunity? Yup, he's got a golden one.

Good posts, good points.

Obviously Ezra Cleveland had a nice year for the Vikings, and came from Boise St.

As to the point of why a 2-year Mountain West starter (and HM level at that) would transfer to a school where he may not likely get playing time:
- someone posted that Utah St maybe did his brother "dirty" on a personal issue? (not sure on that one) Hence prompting him to leave.
- maybe chose Minnesota due to Sanford reaching out to him? wild guess, but would make sense

Supposedly he was chosing between Gophers and Rutgers.

Shaw has three years to play three. My guess is that he recognizes the usefulness of another year of development before competing for a starting spot (which I think he'll get in 2022), he appreciates his prior relationship with Sanford, and he simply likes Minnesota more than Rutgers.

Injuries .... When a guy goes down, which will almost always happen each year, this is an experienced player who can move in and you don't notice much difference. He may not start but he'll have the opportunity to help out.

I don't think I've seen anyone say he will start this year. The expectation is to be a depth guy this year and then start the next two.

Our Offensive coordinator knows this kid, he must be decent player if we are bringing him in. Welcome to the Gophers Karter Shaw.

I don't, which is why I posted this week I thought it was odd that he'd either be offered PT or that a 2-year FBS starter would choose a school where he knows he wouldn't play right away. Guess he's patient (rare these days) OR there's something we don't know about the OL depth. Either way, you can't argue with adding talent so this is a great move IMO.

From the article linked below:

"Minnesota told me they wanted to offer as I've worked with coach Sanford before so he knows what I'm all about, I'd have to opportunity to come in and potentially be a rotator, and I'd have a chance to come in and compete for a starting job. They have a lot of returners, but I have no problem betting on myself in that regard. Then I'd have a very good chance of solidifying myself as the starter the next year after."

I love this mindset. Sounds like he knows Year 2 here is when he'll see the most playing time.

"Minnesota told me they wanted to offer as I've worked with coach Sanford before so he knows what I'm all about, I'd have to opportunity to come in and potentially be a rotator, and I'd have a chance to come in and compete for a starting job. They have a lot of returners, but I have no problem betting on myself in that regard. Then I'd have a very good chance of solidifying myself as the starter the next year after."

I love this mindset. Sounds like he knows Year 2 here is when he'll see the most playing time.

That's exactly what you love to see from transfers. Someone who believes in he can earn a starting spot, but won't be discouraged if he has to wait a year to earn it.
Great get at a position that hasn't been prioritized as highly as others.

Additionally, sounds like he chose MN over Rutgers, where it was likely he would have started Day 1.

After 2021 season, we lose Olson and Schlueter to eligibility, and we could well lose Andries, Faalele and even Dunlap, as well. Shaw gets a lot of game time in 2022 and 2033, unless he really disappoints.

Last edited:

Good posts, good points.

Obviously Ezra Cleveland had a nice year for the Vikings, and came from Boise St.

As to the point of why a 2-year Mountain West starter (and HM level at that) would transfer to a school where he may not likely get playing time:
- someone posted that Utah St maybe did his brother "dirty" on a personal issue? (not sure on that one) Hence prompting him to leave.
- maybe chose Minnesota due to Sanford reaching out to him? wild guess, but would make sense

Maybe he is uber confident in his abilities and wants to challenge himself (ala former St. Cloud Husky/MN Gopher John Shclecht)??
One of my favorite Gophers of all time.

Speaking of Dunlap and Faalele - I can't see us losing them after next year. FIRST, they need to come back healthy and in shape, second they would need to have dominant years and have NFL draft hopes. I just don't see it happening after not playing this past year. Hope I'm wrong.

Speaking of Dunlap and Faalele - I can't see us losing them after next year. FIRST, they need to come back healthy and in shape, second they would need to have dominant years and have NFL draft hopes. I just don't see it happening after not playing this past year. Hope I'm wrong.
Faalele could enter the draft this year and would be drafted at some point. Not because he has earned it, but just because of potential.

Top Bottom