All-Minnesota Team watch list

playhosea!

Chad Kolander groupie
Reaction score
Every year I name a team of guys who played high school basketball in Minnesota who I perceive to be having the most success in college to an All-Minnesota team. I doubt this exercise is any more than mildly interesting to anyone other than me.

This year I thought I would name a "watch list" early because I'd like to identify any guys I'm not thinking of to try to catch some of their games follow them through the course of the season.

Obvious contenders/pre-season team
Trevor Mbakwe
Blake Hoffarber
Jon Leuer (Wisconsin)
Jordan Taylor (Wisconsin)
Trent Lockett (Arizona State)

Additional candidates
Al Nolen
Noah Dahlman (Wofford)
Cory Johnson (Valparaiso)
Alec Brown (UW-Green Bay)
Eric Carlson (North Dakota State)
Kwadzo Alleghebe (Northern Iowa)
Cameron Rundles (Wofford)

Random facts worth noting
Andrew Brommer is playing every game for Iowa and contributing a little bit
Anthony Tucker is scoring 20 per game at Winona State
Mike Bruesewitz just scored 18 in a game
Sam Dower scored 19 in his first career game for Gonzaga (okay, the team had 117...)
Wofford's top 3 players are all from Minnesota, but Marquette has no Minnesotans on the roster

Thoughts? Additions? Comments?

Nate Wolters from SDSU is having a nice year. 17ppg and 48% behind the arc. 50 assists to 13 TO's through 9 games.

Good call on Nate Wolters. His numbers are great and when they beat Iowa in IC he had 29 points, 9 assists, and 4 steals.

I'm rooting for Jordair Jett. I think there are some guys I'm not listing, like Jamar Diggs, who are still a little ahead of Jett right now.

Mike Broghammer from Hopkins now at Noter Dame.

No doubt Stommes from EKU would find some minutes for the U this season.

That would be a pretty sweet lineup if we were playing against a team without a big center.

Trevor Mbakwe
Blake Hoffarber
Jon Leuer (Wisconsin)
Jordan Taylor (Wisconsin)
Trent Lockett (Arizona State)

Over the weekend Ethan Wragge scored a career high 22 for Creighton.

Zach Filzen

Junior guard Zach Filzen (Northfield) is doing well for Buffalo (of the MAC).

Team-high 35.8 minutes per game.
Team-leading 15.8 points per game.
3.7 rebounds per game.
Shooting 43.1% from 3-point land.
Shooting 86.7% from the free-throw line.
Leading scorer 5 times in 9 games.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Thomas who went out to Long Beach St?

It's probably old news and I missed it but he appears on the roster but hasn't played yet.

I always like these threads that keep track of MN HS players around the country.

Not sure he deserves to be on the list quite yet. But the all-time MN HS scoring leader Kevin Noreen is shooting 87.5% from the field (7-8) for WVU. 3 ppg though.

BTW his brother Kyle had 38 for MN Transitions last night.

I like following the MN kids as well, and I can only do it through this board. Thanks for the thread.

I almost forgot about Cory Johnson, who with I. Dahlman would rank in the top five Monson recruiting gaffes when they happened (Leuer has to be number one). As it turned out, Monson was right in his judgement that they were not really front line Big Ten players.

Good luck to all of our Minnesota boys, except when playing the Gophers.

Jordair Jett from St. Louis

Yep, he's having a very good freshman year at St. Louis...

6013860.jpeg

Junior guard Zach Filzen (Northfield) is doing well for Buffalo (of the MAC).

Team-high 35.8 minutes per game.
Team-leading 15.8 points per game.
3.7 rebounds per game.
Shooting 43.1% from 3-point land.
Shooting 86.7% from the free-throw line.
Leading scorer 5 times in 9 games.

I played against Zach this summer, he's smooth... nice player.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Thomas who went out to Long Beach St?

http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports...s_jacob00.html

He's now on the roster, but-

Three expected prospects - recruits Khalid Gerard, Shelton Boykin and Jacob Thomas - are were unable to join the team due to academics. Thomas, who insiders say could be the best pure shooter in LBSU history, will sit out this season to get the books in order. The Minnesota prep star will need to pass grades this year in order to be eligible for next season. - http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=20231&page=2&highlight=jacob+thomas

Alec Brown (Winona) for Green Bay is a player to watch as well. The 7'1" freshman is averaging 7.8 pts and 4.5 reb and is coming off an 18 point effort against the Badgers.

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks for posting.

Cousy Award nominees

It looks like two Minnesotans were named as finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, given to the nation's top point guard: Kwadzo Ahelgbe from Northern Iowa and Jordan Taylor from Wisconsin.

The award starts with a filed of 68 finalists and narrows down through several cuts to 5, then to a winner.

Past winners include Jameer Nelson, Raymond Felton, Dee Brown, Acie Law, D.J. Augustine, Ty Lawson, and Greivis Vasquez.

If he can make that list I'm not sure why Nolen can't (other than the fact that he's hurt). Since he's coming back soon I don't think that's a good enough reason to put Ahelgbe on the list over him.

It looks like two Minnesotans were named as finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, given to the nation's top point guard: Kwadzo Ahelgbe from Northern Iowa and Jordan Taylor from Wisconsin.

The award starts with a filed of 68 finalists and narrows down through several cuts to 5, then to a winner.

Past winners include Jameer Nelson, Raymond Felton, Dee Brown, Acie Law, D.J. Augustine, Ty Lawson, and Greivis Vasquez.

I think we all know how well Nolen can play, but when you look at it objectively he hasn't really played that much recently. He only played half a season last year and has missed a big chunk of this year.

With Kwadzo, everybody saw him play in the tournament last year, beating Kansas, going to the Sweet 16, etc. I saw Northern Iowa players saying repeatedly in interviews that Kwadzo is the leader of their team.

Nolen missed the chance to be part of a post-season run and it hurt his national exposure for things like post-season awards.

Chris, thanks for the article. I forgot about Hanson at Cal Poly. He's so tan living in California now that it's almost hard to believe he's a Minnesotan.

Very solid list. Nice to have a complete list of guys playing D1, I hadn't seen that before. We might not produce a ton of top tier talent but per capita Minnesota has a very solid D1 output.

Jordan Hicks, 6-6 g/f from Rochester Mayo is averaging 11.7 ppg and 4.7 reb a game through his first nine games as a junior at Loyola in chicago before sitting out the last four due to injury. This includes 10 and 9 in a two point loss to butler...

Jordair Jett St. Bernard's/Nore Dame Prep St. Louis 9.6 ppg, 3 rpg 2.4 apg.

Could have really used him next season.

missed this thread the first time around but reading about the MN players having success is always fun.
Howard Pulley updates their web-site with news and results on their players and ex-players quite often.

Since others have bumped this thread already today I thought I'd tack on a couple of updates.

Shame on me for somehow blanking on including Nate Wolters on my initial list. Wolters is absolutely tearing it up for South Dakota State, averaging 19.4 points and 6.0 assists per game, and shooting just under 55% from 3-point range. He may end up with a truly huge statistical season by the end.

The Cousy Award list was cut down to 20 finalists, one of which is Jordan Taylor. With his assist to turnover ratio and scoring average, he might end up as a top-5 finisher for that award this year. Kwadzo did not make the cut down to 20.

Taylor

I like Taylor he is a good player. He is scoring alot bout he shoots alot... 40% from the floor and 33% from three in the Big Ten... He should average 20 pts in the Big Ten firing the ball that much..

He is good at drawing fouls.. 6/16,6/16, 3/10 and 8/20 those are some of his Big 10 field goal numbers..

Top Bottom