All-Ivy League Harvard DT Chris Smith commits

I'm excited about this one! We now have 3 additions to the DL that have spent a few years in college strength programs and played some snaps. These are guys who should make our 2 deeps and rotation look much different. Plus, some exciting young talent now has room to grow on the DL without being thrust into desperate snaps.

Quote:
By: Tony Liebert | January 19, 2022
30-year veteran assistant coach Brick Haley will have plenty of talent to work with, in his first season as the Gophers defensive line coach. This unit might not have the same top-end talent as last season, but they might have more overall depth.
---------------
I was hoping that with these additions this year we would be at least as good this year if not better. Need to keep rushing the quarterback. Comments? Meanwhile I do believe he is a very good football player and will be a nice addition to the program.

should help the team GPA.

which raises this question - with so many players coming and going, how does that impact how APR is calculated? in the past, I thought you lost points when players didn't graduate or left school. I wonder if they have to adjust the formula to account for all the transfers.

In Chris Smith article at the top he says this ...and he will now look to have the same success in 2022, and beyond with two seasons of eligibility remaining.
---------
Who is right? Burns who indicates one season or Smith with two seasons of eligibility?

In Chris Smith article at the top he says this ...and he will now look to have the same success in 2022, and beyond with two seasons of eligibility remaining.
---------
Who is right? Burns who indicates one season or Smith with two seasons of eligibility?
Smith’s own Twitter has him at 1 year of eligibility.

He never redshirted.

Smith’s own Twitter has him at 1 year of eligibility.

He never redshirted.
I'm taking it that Chris Smith's article was incorrect then. We'll we still need the depth for one year, so we'll take him. Thanks die hard.

Welcome. Taking guys from Harvard and Michigan. They go these academic "junior colleges" just to prep for the U's stringent requirements. OK maybe not......

Welcome, Mr Chris Smith, to the Gophers. You will enjoy playing in the Big 10 and quoting some Othello to the O-lineman who will probably belch from all of the Pizza they have eaten. Especially a certain lineman from Lakeville, MN who now plays(Well plays is an insult to the word plays football for this guy Benn.... something or other who loves FROSTY) for the Nebraska Cornhuskers, and his dad is a monster loud, wind/ D-bag.
Please help us kick the crap out of Nebraska and Frosty the Snowman who talks crap about our coach's, sloganeering and wave to the crowd in Lincoln, NE this fine November. When you are beating the double team just remember that the Red "N" on the side of the Nebraska helmets stands for (Knowledge). That and that we yell M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A after we sing the Rouser just to show the rest of the Big 10 were great at spelling and that they will not forget who is beating they're collective rear ends, and scoring a lot of points. (Well not us, we cheer load but don't play obviously) But you know "Yelling at a game, and making a difference, makes the fans feel good".

You will see Tanner, and Crab, and Mo, and the boy's putting up a lot of points this coming season. 2022 is going to be a "ELITE" year for the Gophers.
22 is, Quite possibly the year of the Gopher in the Big 10 West instead of the year of the Tiger, Boiler ups, Cornholers (The broken chair is a cool trophy), the Hawkeye's which I swear an Iowa fan will yell at you "go Hawks" every where you go especially since so many live here in town because well Iowa( who can find a job in Iowa City) and they yell at you just if they see you wearing a Minnesota T-shirt.
You will get to know the "Who Hates Iowa cheer well", we do this at every home game even against Non-Conference opponents, because you know who doesn't dislike the Steelers copying, Iowa Hawkeyes. Well that, and those Stinking no count popcorn box, sweatshirt wearing, "Better dead then Red" Badgers. Once you see the AXE, you will Know beating Wisconsin in anything even board games is a Big deal!

All kidding aside (Well not the part about grabbing an oar and pounding Nebraska) Welcome Mr Smith, Row the Boat, SKI-U-MAH, and go Gophers.

Last edited:

should help the team GPA.

which raises this question - with so many players coming and going, how does that impact how APR is calculated? in the past, I thought you lost points when players didn't graduate or left school. I wonder if they have to adjust the formula to account for all the transfers.
That old standard (penalty) cannot logically continue. Surprising we have not heard anything about this.

the Gophers have mostly lost "maybe" guys in the portal and have picked up more accomplished players at the college level

That old standard (penalty) cannot logically continue. Surprising we have not heard anything about this.
Because another standard already exists, just no one talks about it:
In addition to developing the APR, the presidents also adopted a new graduation rate methodology that more accurately reflects student-athlete transfer patterns and other factors affecting graduation (the new rate is called the Graduation Success Rate).
From https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/11/20/division-i-academic-progress-rate-apr.aspx

Edit: More info about GSR:
The NCAA GSR differs from the federal calculation in two important ways. First, the GSR holds colleges accountable for those student-athletes who transfer to their school. Second, the GSR does not penalize colleges whose student-athletes leave the institution in good academic standing.

Go Gophers!!
Transfer portal commitments are non-binding. They should be. Change it so that when a transfer player commits, they are signed.

Poaching can be devastating for mid-tier programs.

Last edited:

Top Bottom