All in.

It's a meaningless phrase, if you're an internet/TV fan.

If you're a season ticket holder, and you've decided to renew -- that's actually some skin in the game.
I live in Nevada so I am relegated to TV and internet, and I am just as passionate about Gopher sports as I was when my father took me to a Gopher football game in 1961. I have skin in the game.

Just listened to Coach Johnson. I'm all in.

So here's the scoop: politically, I'm *just* to the right of Atilla The Hun. Wouldn't hire a dude just because he's black. Wouldn't not hire a dude for that reason either. Just don't care. The PC angle of this hire does *nothing* for me.

Don't care about the current political climate or "winds" blowing through Minneapolis. I have no antipathy for those who do care, but that's not me. Just don't care.

Don't care about saving money. You spend what it takes to get the job done. Whether that's a lot of money or a pittance. Again: just don't care.

Johnson strikes the right chords on the things I do care about. Intelligent. Honest. Thoughtful. Hardworking. Anxious. Impatient in the right way. Hungry.

What's not to like? Let's give him time - I think he'll make us all proud.

I'm all in.

Great post.
No one can argue with Bens heart or motivation. His recruiting was established and it looks like he can coach.

We better give him a raise before someone steals him!

Last edited:

Not monetarily, as was the context.

You're trying to redefine the context, to include "emotional skin" or something like that.
II grew up in Hutchinson and first started following Gopher sports I beIieve sometime around 1960. I went to the U in the 1970's and went to pretty much every football, hockey, and basketball game for 8 years before I moved out of state. I wear the colors and use a MN Gopher license plate guard on my automobile. I have DishTV and watch as many FB, BB, Hockey, and women's sports as they allow. I'm sorry if that doen't qualify as having skin in the game, but from a distance of 1600+ miles, it's the best I can do.

I'm sorry if that doen't qualify as having skin in the game, but from a distance of 1600+ miles, it's the best I can do.
If you were living here, you'd still pay to go to the games, then?

So, you could ... you know, donate that equivalent amount of money to the program. There's no law against doing that from a distance of 1600 miles, or any distance.

And so, there's literally nothing wrong with defining money as skin in the game.

Nor does that nullify or invalidate your obvious and explicitly express fandom, regardless of physical distance.

So, you could ... you know, donate that equivalent amount of money to the program. There's no law against doing that from a distance of 1600 miles, or any distance.

And so, there's literally nothing wrong with defining money as skin in the game.

Nor does that nullify or invalidate your obvious and explicitly express fandom, regardless of physical distance.
FYI...I have in past years donated to the Athletic program, the University, and there is currently an annual scholarship I have singularly funded explicitly for U of M students

you could ... you know, fuck off

FYI...I have in past years donated to the Athletic program, the University, and there is currently an annual scholarship I have singularly funded explicitly for U of M students
I live in Florida, making attending Gopher games regularly (hoops and football are my jams) unfortunately difficult. I don't think that should make me any less of a fan either. The energy poured into your favorite team should matter a LOT more than the amount of money you can/do contribute in my opinion.

Then that was the actual thing you should have said in the first place. I don't read minds.

Thank you for your contributions!

you could ...
neener-neener-richard-simmons.gif

Everyone knows that the more money you pay, the better fan you are. Rich people are the only ones who really care.
False argument is false argument.

No one said anything about "how 'good' a fan you are". Silly

That's entirely different from "skin in the game". Just accept the loss

That is rich coming from you. Is your picture in the dictionary next to the word "irony"?

This. Friggin Duke needs a coach next year.
I really don't think Ben is leaving the U unless he gets pushed out. They rolled the dice on him and I don't think he'll ever forget that, no matter how successful he becomes. Obviously the U must take care of him and keep his pay equal to the conference coaches but I think he'll be a lifer and hopefully that becomes reality based on the team's performance.

I like what I see to date, ignoring what happened last night of course, unless it happens again.

I will say there was one quote that I read last night, had to be in the Strib online, but one of the guys when asked about the 3 pointers said that during the shoot around, Ben told the guys he wanted to break the 3 point record that night. I'm not fond of that if it's true (no reason to think it wasn't said) and hopefully Ben learns from saying something like that as well as that could have contributed to the 2nd half near collapse.

Just stay focused, play your game and don't let other factors interfere!

yeah I’m not totally caught up but this conversation seems to have gotten weird. Are we flexing how much we are individually monetarily invested?
Nope.

Good way to catch up, is to read the OP and then read post #8.

I am not all-in. Johnson has a lot to prove and honestly not a lot of time to prove it. Once he practices what he preaches, I'll give him a year or two, them I'm all in. Coyle had to see something in this guy, so let's hope it works out. It's hard to be all-in on a guy who has no track record and hasn't even been the HC for two weeks yet. I am still not all-in on PJ Fleck, honestly either.
I m all in on whoever is the head coach of my favorite team…

Top Bottom