Alex Foster Commits to the University of Minnesota

I love this get... Foster has tons of upside and seems to a guy who could really excell in the right environment. He had a nice list of offers / interest.. He mentioned Texas AM and Colorado St, etc. as well in the video.. bottom line, the kid has talent. Also, landing him could help land Shilling as they are buddies and as they said in the video.. their moms are best friends :) Regardless, the Chicago angle with him and Ellis cannot hurt. These high major kids all run in same circles and talk a lot.. it cannot do anything but help if we are making in roads into Chicago. That is a great market to target.. at some point, if we keep working it and the team does well, we will get a shot at a top Chicago recruit..which would mean a top recruit period. For now, I will take Ellis, Foster and Shilling/Hayes. Thyat would make a very nice class IMO. Especially with 2014 on horizon. I also feel we will land Vauhgn so things might not be as dire as folks seem to think..

Just saying

Who knows what Tyus or Vaughn will decide but if Tubby can put in place an experienced and talented front court, these 2 could see the opportunity to step in and start on a team who could contend for the B1G title and make waves on the national scene.

Personally I hope we bank 1 scholarship. Going to want 3 in 2014 IMO tyus, Vaughn, Travis/Okafor

When's the last time we had a problem of too few scholarships available? When Busch had to give his up 4 years ago? It's the least of our concerns lately. Glad to see we're getting the guys we're targeting.

Gophers Land Second 2013 Commitment From Chicago

From Illinois Prep Bulls-Eye:

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Foster_Minnesota.html

University Of Minnesota Does It Again! Gophers Land Second 2013 Commitment From Chicago

By Roy & Harv Schmidt

October 13, 2012

4:45 P.M. CST

What a job University Of Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith and his staff have done over the course of the past year when it comes to recruiting Chicago. During that time, Smith and assistant coach Vince Taylor targeted 2013 recruits from the Windy City who they thought were attainable and would be fits as Gophers.

There is no question that their efforts have paid off in a big way. That is because Minnesota landed its second commitment in the 2013 class from a Chicago area recruit today when Smith received a verbal from 6'7 wing forward Alex Foster from Seton Academy in South Holland, IL. Foster ended up choosing the Gophers over offers from Auburn and Tennessee.

Foster took an official visit to Minneapolis the weekend of September 22-23, the same time as the Gophers' other 2013 commit--6'5 wing forward Alvin Ellis from De La Salle Institute in Chicago. While Ellis committed on the spot, Foster decided to wait. He had previously scheduled officials to Auburn the weekend of October 26-28 and to Tennessee the first weekend in November. Needless to say those have now been cancelled.

When one stops to think about it, it makes perfect sense that Foster and Ellis will be teaming up together at Minnesota. After all, for the past three years they had been teammates at De La Salle. Thus they are good friends and quite familiar with one another's game. Foster decided to transfer to Seton Academy at the beginning of the summer.

Foster has long had one of the biggest reputations amongst any player in Illinois from the 2013 class. In fact, when he was still in eighth grade he was dubbed by others as one of the "Big Three" in that class from the Land Of Lincoln along with Jabari Parker and Tommy Hamilton. He has been up and down ever since then, but there is no question that he still sports as much up side as any player in the state with the exception of Parker.

Foster is just starting to realize that he can do his greatest damage in the paint area in addition to being able to utilize his outstanding athleticism which enables him to run the floor and consistently finish on the break. He can also face up and knock down shots from behind the 3-point arc although he sometimes tends to rely too heavily on that part of his game.

When looking at statistics, Foster has undoubtedly proven that he is a player who is capable of putting up double-doubles in scoring and rebounds on a regular basis. He now appears to be as motivated as he ever has been to live up to the extreme hype that was thrust upon him at such an early age. As long as he plays hard and with intensity at all times, we believe that the sky can be the limit. With that being said, we look for him to have a big year at Seton Academy, who will be undoubtedly be one of the favorites to win the Class 2A state championship come next March.

As was the case with Ellis, kudos once again go out to Taylor, who was the lead recruiter on Foster. As we alluded to previously, Taylor has tracked Foster virtually non-stop over the course of the past year. And here is the thing--the Gophers may not be done yet, as they are also very much in the picture with yet another 2013 prospect who previously played at De La Salle--6'9 power forward Gavin Schilling who is now at Findlay Prep in Henderson, NV. However, as of now all indications are that Schilling will wait until the spring to sign a letter of intent.

When's the last time we had a problem of too few scholarships available? When Busch had to give his up 4 years ago? It's the least of our concerns lately. Glad to see we're getting the guys we're targeting.
You could say this year with the Trent Lockett situation. I'm also in the boat of banking a scholarship for next year with the talent of Tyus, Vaughn, Travis, and Okafor among others.

Even if he did not have an offer from Purdue it doesn't mean he couldn't have had one if he wanted. There are many reasons why Purdue might not extend an offer, such as the level of interest the recruit has for the particular school. I would think that Purdue would be happy to have Foster in their fold.

Who cares if Purdue offered or not.. he is a good player who should help the program. Thats all I care about.

Who cares if Purdue offered or not.. he is a good player who should help the program. Thats all I care about.

Thank you Rouser. You have hereby been hired as a referee the way you stopped a potential pissing contest. Welcome aboard. :)

I am getting pretty damn excited for our future and that's without any 2014 guarantees. With Hollins, Coleman, Buggs, Wally, Oto, Mo, EE on the team for the next 3 seasons and adding in Ellis, Foster, and probably Schilling, we will have a solid team.

I am getting pretty damn excited for our future and that's without any 2014 guarantees. With Hollins, Coleman, Buggs, Wally, Oto, Mo, EE on the team for the next 3 seasons and adding in Ellis, Foster, and probably Schilling, we will have a solid team.

+1

It will be interesting to watch Ellis, Foster, and Schilling. None in the top 100. All have some ability. All played for an underachieving high school team. I think Ellis will be a good player. Not as positive about the other two.

Is it just me, or was anybody else happy to hear him mention that academics matter? Tubby seems to continue to get high character kids as of late, maybe he's learned from the past fiascos.

Schilling narrowed his list to Villanova, Missouri, Arizona, UCLA, and Oklahoma State. Pretty nice list. I don't see it, but I have been wrong many times. I think they are projecting what he could become rather than offering him on what he has done to this point in time.

Schilling narrowed his list to Villanova, Missouri, Arizona, UCLA, and Oklahoma State. Pretty nice list. I don't see it, but I have been wrong many times. I think they are projecting what he could become rather than offering him on what he has done to this point in time.

Interesting, Schilling must think he is on the verge of offers from those schools because at the moment he doesn't have those offers. Is there a link to the quote from Schilling?

Top Bottom