Alabama Basketball: Revisiting Tide’s “3-on-5” game vs. Minnesota from 2017

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Cody:

Which leads me to “my game;” the game I’ve been thinking a lot about (and have rewatched in full twice) while quarantining: 2017’s historic “3-on-5” matchup between Alabama Basketball and the Minnesota Gophers. Despite being a Wisconsin Badgers fan (a fanbase that has been treated to games like this, this, and ironically this), that is the game that sits with me.

“I’ve never ever ever seen anything like that in my life.” – Richard Pitino
Though that may be potentially, slightly bizarre; I think it is for good reason. Alabama and Minnesota had a game like no one had ever seen before on November 25th, 2017 in the Barclays Center. As many likely recalls, with about 11 minutes left in the 2nd half, Alabama attempted (and almost actually succeeded) in making a comeback victory with only three players on the court (we’ll of course dive into the circumstances that led to that point later on).

I’m thankful to say I was lucky enough to catch it all live – and honestly – to see Collin Sexton, Galin Smith and Riley Norris trot their way back from an 11-point deficit was just as exciting as seeing Laettner’s shot in 1992 or Jenkins’ shot in 2016. In my opinion, the “3-on-5” game is on par with those unforgettable moments, at least for me. So, again since there’s no better time for it, here is a deep dive into what I consider a recent classic certainly worthy of revisiting.

Go Gophers!!

That game is bad voo doo. Light it on fire.

They played 5-on-3, and barely held on to a sizable lead. I can still hear the Pitino-apologists "but it was so different, he couldn't have prepared for that! How could you expect his team to win against such adversity?!?"

That was such a weird game. For whatever reason, after Bama went down to three players, it seemed like Pitino called off the dogs in fear of showing up the opponent or something. The players started playing vastly different than they did leading up to that point. They could have gone hard to the basket just about every time, or taken a wide open 3, and I remember them dribbling a lot and taking awkward 15-foot contested jump shots.

Leave it to Pitino to barely pull it out...

They played 5-on-3, and barely held on to a sizable lead. I can still hear the Pitino-apologists "but it was so different, he couldn't have prepared for that! How could you expect his team to win against such adversity?!?"

That was such a weird game. For whatever reason, after Bama went down to three players, it seemed like Pitino called off the dogs in fear of showing up the opponent or something. The players started playing vastly different than they did leading up to that point. They could have gone hard to the basket just about every time, or taken a wide open 3, and I remember them dribbling a lot and taking awkward 15-foot contested jump shots.

If you go back and watch the game, we scored very easily the first two or three possessions after the mass ejections by passing the ball around and getting it to someone at the basketball. Then they decided to stop running an offense and just shooting threes at the end of the shot clock, went cold, and then it was nail biting time. The fact that they couldn't stop Sexton was more concerning as they should have put three guys on him.

If you go back and watch the game, we scored very easily the first two or three possessions after the mass ejections by passing the ball around and getting it to someone at the basketball. Then they decided to stop running an offense and just shooting threes at the end of the shot clock, went cold, and then it was nail biting time. The fact that they couldn't stop Sexton was more concerning as they should have put three guys on him.
From my recollection, the refs also started calling very ticky-tack fouls, and so they really couldn't play any D against Sexton as breathing on him drew a whistle. Maybe my memory of that game is just jaded, but it sure seems like that - and that Sexton was completely en fuego - was the problem on D.

Yeah RP played it completely wrong.
He tried to play it classy, didn’t pressure and basically stalled.

I think if he had to do it over again they’d press and run and win by 100. Would look bad but would be smarter.

Leave it to Pitino to barely pull it out...

I think if he had to do it over again they’d press and run and win by 100. Would look bad but would be smarter.
What looks worse: (1) winning a 5 vs 3 game by 80 points. (2) Barely winning

hint: it's a rhetorical question

Finally somebody was watching. You are exactly right. Pitino got his undies in a bundle and didn't realize he should have just poured it on and got off the court. He lost his priorities. I really hope it was a great learning experience for him. When you have an opportunity to put the game away, seize it. Like trying to protect a large lead with prevent defense, please no. beat the crap out of them with what got you to have the lead

Keep in mind what got us there. A near brawl. A lot of tension before that. Running it up and having one of their remaining 3 start throwing punches and us retaliating was a recipe for disaster and a lot of suspensions. He was just trying to get the game over and get out of there. And I don't blame him. Within that, there are things he could have done differently. But it was a once in a lifetime weird circumstance.

Keep in mind what got us there. A near brawl. A lot of tension before that. Running it up and having one of their remaining 3 start throwing punches and us retaliating was a recipe for disaster and a lot of suspensions. He was just trying to get the game over and get out of there. And I don't blame him. Within that, there are things he could have done differently. But it was a once in a lifetime weird circumstance.
For sure. I get why he did what he did.
But I bet he would do it differently if he did it again.

I think people making a big deal about “almost losing” over blew it at the time.
The other team never had the ball with a chance to take the lead.

Top Bottom