AK's bullet on 3rd down to put the game away

He only gave them 3 touchdowns and 0 turnovers but yeah that game is definitely on Athan
I'd rather have a clutch qb than a stat stuffer. All he had to do was get us into field goal range. Those amazing (/s) stats didn't get us there, although by your logic he should've been able to because he was playing so well. He isn't it, and he won't hold any notable positive records here if PJ stays the course with him.

He only gave them 3 touchdowns and 0 turnovers but yeah that game is definitely on Athan

I didn't say the game was on Athan. But of course hyperbole let's you feel better.

He's played better the last 2 weeks. PJ should not give him QB1 automatically, I don't think he's earned that right. I'm not afraid to improve the program, some are.

I’m not saying he’s perfect or even that good, but acting like a transfer QB is gonna come in and magically make our offense competent is delusional at best. Athan played fine today and even made a clutch throw to give us the lead with 5 minutes left.

I didn't say the game was on Athan. But of course hyperbole let's you feel better.

He's played better the last 2 weeks. PJ should not give him QB1 automatically, I don't think he's earned that right. I'm not afraid to improve the program, some are.
I get your point of view. I just feel like it’s more coaching not coaching guys up and not putting them in positions to succeed than it is a deficiency at a certain position (only talking about offensive side of the ball here). It’s not just Athan either, Tanner severely regressed from 2019 and a lot of it had to do with him being put in tough spots.

I get your point of view. I just feel like it’s more coaching not coaching guys up and not putting them in positions to succeed than it is a deficiency at a certain position (only talking about offensive side of the ball here). It’s not just Athan either, Tanner severely regressed from 2019 and a lot of it had to do with him being put in tough spots.

Good points. I think we are aligned.

That pass was brutal. Not running straight ahead the play before that when you had an easy first down to seal the game, was brutal. Two poor decisions by him. He’s rifled shorts passes too hard all season. But those plays were only part of the issue. Poor defense at crucial times and poor play calling/philosophy on offense were just as crucial. PJ is all too willing to settle for the field goals. We could have put distance between us and then and as usual, PJ settles. I’m tired of settling.

Some may not want to hear this, but we were lucky as hell to beat Iowa, because PJ played that game the EXACT same way as he played the prior Iowa games he lost. He still hasn’t learned a damn thing regarding why he continues to play down to opponents. He was fortunate this year that Iowa has the worst QB in power 5 football.

Last edited:

That pass was brutal. Not running straight ahead the play before that when you had an easy first down to seal the game, was brutal. Two poor decisions by him. He’s rifled shorts passes too hard all season. But those plays were only part of the issue. Poor defense at crucial times and poor play calling/philosophy on offense were just as crucial. PJ is all too willing to settle for the field goals. We could have put distance between us and then and as usual, PJ settles. I’m tired of settling.

Some may not want to hear this, but we were luck as hell to beat Iowa, because PJ played that game the EXACT same way as he played the prior Iowa games he lost. He was fortunate this year that Iowa has the worst QB in power 5 football.

Yes we may have been lucky to beat Iowa but we were very unlucky to lose to NW and Illinois but were lucky to beat Nebraska. It's called close games. And just like that, we are 2-2 in close games. It's sports.

Yes we may have been lucky to beat Iowa but we were very unlucky to lose to NW and Illinois but were lucky to beat Nebraska. It's called close games. And just like that, we are 2-2 in close games. It's sports.
Nothing unlucky about what happened today . They turn the ball over late in the game and bail out our terrible offense and we collapse . If anything we were lucky to have the lead.

Illinois 2nd string QB drives the team 92 yards in less than a minute, throwing dimes to receivers while under pressure.

Minnesota QB, with a minute and two timeouts to get in field goal range, can't hit the broad side of barn, especially in the middle of the field. The previous drive 3rd down terrible short throw to 87 was a key play.

Yeah, the QB isn't fully responsible for the loss, but that position is a glaring weakness.

Portal guy #4 dropping 3 passes, portal guy #2 fumbling the opening kickoff, and the defensive backs letting receivers run wide open at key moments contributed to the loss just as much.

What about the pass that hit the ground 3 yards in front of the receiver? Was it tipped?

I’m not saying he’s perfect or even that good, but acting like a transfer QB is gonna come in and magically make our offense competent is delusional at best. Athan played fine today and even made a clutch throw to give us the lead with 5 minutes left.
What do you mean? Mordecai has brought Wisconsin and McNamara Iowa quickly to the next level

Some may not want to hear this, but we were lucky as hell to beat Iowa, because PJ played that game the EXACT same way as he played the prior Iowa games he lost. He still hasn’t learned a damn thing regarding why he continues to play down to opponents. He was fortunate this year that Iowa has the worst QB in power 5 football.
This was a 3 yd gain.

IMG_2939.jpeg

For all the people that just assume Minnesota can find a transfer QB to just step in and be better I am not sure that is realistic. Think of the teams that are gonna have to replace QB’s next year like USC, Washington, Oregon. What QB is gonna come to Minnesota over those teams. You are going to be looking for a group of 5 guy or lower tier QB that may work and may not work. Look at the kid at Wisconsin. He threw for a billion yards prior to Wisconsin and now he can’t compete a forward pass. Minnesota is always a place that has to “coach them up” and the QB position is no difference. Minnesota tied its wagon to AK when they recruited him and then didn’t take a QB in the next class. He’s ours and there is nothing we can do about it.

As I’ve said before, I feel bad for his future kids because he’s gonna be throwing heaters at them while playing catch in the backyard.

I was doing a little cussing after that play. The snapshot doesn't show the safety or LB coming in behind the ref and the run for the marker would have been contested, but AK could have easily come close to first down if he just ran north/south instead of east/west.

Top Bottom