AJ Barker

I was thinking the same thing - AJ's success will be a great boost to Killer's walk-on program, and he's not the only one figuring prominently.

He reminds me of a combination of Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, Mike Tyson, and Abraham Lincoln.
Lincoln really rose to the occasion, but his consistency was always in question. I think Barker will prove to be more reliable over time.

I was thinking the same thing - AJ's success will be a great boost to Killer's walk-on program, and he's not the only one figuring prominently.
He needs to reward these kids or it will all amount to nothing, however. Barker, Mottla and Wettstein should all get scholarships for being prominent components of the team.

That's not a criticism, I have no idea what he's done or going to do because there isn't much transparency when it comes to walk-ons getting scholarships.

Lincoln really rose to the occasion, but his consistency was always in question. I think Barker will prove to be more reliable over time.

Given the way Lincoln's career was cut short it is kind of unfair to knock his consistency. Had he had more time to develop he may have continued to improve.

He reminds me of a combination of Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, Mike Tyson, and Abraham Lincoln.

So you're saying AJ Barker is a great vampire hunter? Glad he's on our team.

Given the way Lincoln's career was cut short it is kind of unfair to knock his consistency. Had he had more time to develop he may have continued to improve.

He was one of the all time greats at his position, and I agree he could have been the greatest ever given more time, which is why I think he's in the same league as A.J. Barker. You also can't forget that as great as Lincoln was by himself, he was an awesome glue guy, he knew he was part of a team, he made sure everyone remained united.

He needs to reward these kids or it will all amount to nothing, however. Barker, Mottla and Wettstein should all get scholarships for being prominent components of the team.

That's not a criticism, I have no idea what he's done or going to do because there isn't much transparency when it comes to walk-ons getting scholarships.

Kill has awarded Botticelli with a scholarship.

Wettstein will be done and he might be on a scholarship now. It's tough to say.
Mottla isn't on scholarship, but he might eventually earn one. I don't think it's important to him though, he comes from quite a bit of money.

Awarding scholarships to walk-ons is more of a nuanced thing to get the most "bang for your buck". Barker will almost for sure be on scholarship next year. For senior walk-ons who are going to be awarded scholarships, they almost never get the offer until close to August. If a kid leaves the team in August, you give it to a senior walk-on. That way, you get to give the walk-on what he's earned but you also get to use your full allotment of scholarships for incoming recruits. You typically only see an official awarding of a scholarship to a walk-on player when the player is an underclassmen (ala Botticelli).

My guess is that guys like Mottla and Barker will be on scholarship next season but it won't be official until after the natural attrition that will take place around July and August. That way we get to utilize as many scholarships as possible.

This is a good example why a good walk on program is so important.
Some Helmet Programs treat their Walk-on's like Crap. (USC)
A kid who chooses to walk on here, will know that he will get an equal shot.

Does USC treat their walk-ons like crap? I'm not doubting you because I have no idea. However, they've had some walk-ons play pretty prominent roles on their teams.

Decker or not

Comparisons to Decker are a bit premature.

Decker was very fast AND he blocked like Matt Spaeth.

AJ seems to have good hands and to enjoy the physical part of the game.

So AJ is not fast? Decker was bigger, AJ so far seems to have some wiggle and lateral movement in the slot, and some of that toughness. Of all the big name receivers this team has brought in what a pleseant suprise he has been.

Let's hope he is not like Decker in that one area...

being the only decent receiver who has to carry the team even when double and triple teamed.

So AJ is not fast? Decker was bigger, AJ so far seems to have some wiggle and lateral movement in the slot, and some of that toughness. Of all the big name receivers this team has brought in what a pleseant suprise he has been.

Let's hope he is not like Decker in that one area...

being the only decent receiver who has to carry the team even when double and triple teamed.

I think Rabe is doing a good job and should help at least a little with the coverages along with Fruechte(spelling?).

Does USC treat their walk-ons like crap? I'm not doubting you because I have no idea. However, they've had some walk-ons play pretty prominent roles on their teams.

It seems like Kiffen, out of boredom, decided to mock his Scout Team by dressing them up in UCLA colors. Kiffen stated, "Hopefully they’ll be motivated to get off the service team so they won’t have to wear the powder blue jerseys."

Some Players do not have the talent to be anymore then a Scout Team Player. They may work as hard as anyone and contribute highly to the Program.
But it appears that Kiffin chooses to mock and ridicule these Scout Team Players.

How would it look if Kill had a number of his Players wearing Wisconsin Jerseys all year?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...ne-kiffin-ucla-rick-neuheisel-minnesota-.html

Neither Barker and Derrick Engel have scholarships which should change based on their production. An inside source told me they are roommates. I believe AJ is the all-time leading Minnesota HS receiver.

Neither Barker and Derrick Engel have scholarships which should change based on their production. An inside source told me they are roommates. I believe AJ is the all-time leading Minnesota HS receiver.

that's correct, he's also the all-time state leader in TD catches.

Top Bottom