After tonight, I know why Tim B threw the

I think Brew has learned that there are times to play it safe and times to go for it. I'm hoping that the next step is learning which are which.

Did I just say that?

I think Brew has learned that there are times to play it safe and times to go for it. I'm hoping that the next step is learning which are which.

Did I just say that?

Ha! You're not alone, man.

I'm really impressed by your ability to stay positive throughout the past three years. I've been somewhat down on Brewster since the Iowa State game. I think it is mostly due to sticking with Weber despite the inconsistency/inability. Was that a function of hope that Weber was going to get better or simply trying to keep Gray and Alipate in the holster for next season?

I need the input from the unabashed leader of the positive folks on the Hole.

I think he's got a method of madness that is sound but he was betrayed by it a bit. I think he has a vision for the future and is not about to let present needs derail it, Weber probably tested his patience for staying the course quite a bit.

I think he's got a method of madness that is sound but he was betrayed by it a bit. I think he has a vision for the future and is not about to let present needs derail it, Weber probably tested his patience for staying the course quite a bit.

Thank you. I appreciate your perspective.

Yeah, I'm believing that Brew means it when he says Gray/Alipate will have an equal chance with Weber to start next season. I really can't cope with the idea that Weber will be a lock to start next year. I'm fine with him starting, as long as he can produce; but I have serious doubts as to whether that is possible at this point.

It just seems to me that with Gray's athleticism, the offense can be built around around 20 plays that he and the rest of the offense has down solid. Forget the complexities and hand signals. Just build it around his abilities as a runner and passer and let them go.

Thank you. I appreciate your perspective.

Yeah, I'm believing that Brew means it when he says Gray/Alipate will have an equal chance with Weber to start next season. I really can't cope with the idea that Weber will be a lock to start next year. I'm fine with him starting, as long as he can produce; but I have serious doubts as to whether that is possible at this point.

It just seems to me that with Gray's athleticism, the offense can be built around around 20 plays that he and the rest of the offense has down solid. Forget the complexities and hand signals. Just build it around his abilities as a runner and passer and let them go.

agree

Did I just say that?
The times he's been agressive have been in the 4th quarter or OT. He's been conservative at the end of the half. I'll take that.

Did I just say that?

You just said that...

Learning on the job is something this program can ill afford for much longer.

yeah, these bowls are really getting old. :rolleyes:

You just said that...

Learning on the job is something this program can ill afford for much longer.

But he is learning as every coach is. And he's good enough to make it to two straight bowls which many coaches are unable to do. I think we can stop with the "he's a bad coach" crap. Just because he's not great or the best does not mean he's the worst or bad. he's apparently average at worst. I'd say that it's possible that given the talent level of his seniors and juniors, and the flux of coordinators it's possible he's actually a pretty damn good game day coach.

But he is learning as every coach is. And he's good enough to make it to two straight bowls which many coaches are unable to do. I think we can stop with the "he's a bad coach" crap. Just because he's not great or the best does not mean he's the worst or bad. he's apparently average at worst. I'd say that it's possible that given the talent level of his seniors and juniors, and the flux of coordinators it's possible he's actually a pretty damn good game day coach.

+1

That's the one that always comes to my mind as well. And going for 2 in the second overtime against NU for the win in 2007. That season sucked, but I gave him mad props for making that call.

Both of those examples were pre-2008 Northwestern meltdown

Ha. Yeah, you're objective. Ok.

BTW. After rhetorically asking how many times Brew has played it safe, you used the same examples you employed in a previous post. Are there more? If not, the answer is two. With two data points I can understand why you believe Brew to be shell shocked.

Maximus = brilliant statisician.

Up 13-10 vs. Wisconsin at home....1:15 on the clock in the second quarter with two timeouts. Runs the ball twice.

In 55-0 loss to Iowa...ball at their own 36 down 27-0 with three timeouts, runs the ball.

At Penn State, 00:35 on the clock at their own 20....two timeouts. Runs the ball.

Up 13-10 vs. Wisconsin at home....1:15 on the clock in the second quarter with two timeouts. Runs the ball twice.

In 55-0 loss to Iowa...ball at their own 36 down 27-0 with three timeouts, runs the ball.

At Penn State, 00:35 on the clock at their own 20....two timeouts. Runs the ball.

I like aggression as much as the next guy, so I'm not saying i agree with Brews choices here, but all three of these were very rational decisions. You'll notice all three were against vastly superior defenses with our proven inferior mistake prone offense. Wiscy and Penn State could have easily resulted in a TO in the opponents FG territory.

Iowa, we just needed to get the hell off the field and into the locker room. We were, as you remembered getting destroyed.

I like aggression as much as the next guy, so I'm not saying i agree with Brews choices here, but all three of these were very rational decisions.

Which is the point....at your own 14 against Northwestern. Run the ball. Play overtime at home.

Since then, he's either become "rational" or shellshocked.

I think NW was his 'AHA' moment. The limits of agression and bravado revealed.

Which is the point....at your own 14 against Northwestern. Run the ball. Play overtime at home.

Since then, he's either become "rational" or shellshocked.

That's fair. Good points. I'll vote for rational. :)

Two bowls: and, lost them both... the second of which he had his opponent outmanned.

This coach also made the point that the Gopher football team can no longer be satisfied with mediocre bowl games when he took the job.

If we're now accepting "average at worst", then that is flat out lame.

Name a solid program that goes through 3 D coordinators and 2 O coordinators in the first 3 years of a regime. Answer: none. You build based on consistency. (see Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State... I can go on)

I'll be the first to admit that we hired a career assistant/recruiting coordinator as our head coach. We can't expect him to become a brilliant strategist over night. But, knowing that, don't you think that he'd place a premium on keeping smart game day guys around him...? If you don't have the talent level, then it's imperative that you do more with less... This has not been the case with Brew.

nobody is accepting mediocre. The point is that he doesn't suck because he isn't great. He's at worst a very good recruiter and an average coach. Not a mediocre recruiter and terrible coach as so many want to say he is.

Top Bottom