After tonight, I know why Tim B threw the

oak_street1981

Reaction score
ball with under a minute left, with poor field position to F up the Northwestern game in 2008.

Mack Brown tought him how to speak with a fake Texas accent, and Mack Brown tought Brewster how to make foolish decisions with the ball in no win situations to lose games.

That uptight look on Mack Browns face tonight did look like Brewsters face this year. (and next year in his final year)

Well, it all will be over after next November, and the crow will be served, cold.

For the most part I liked Mason but noone looks more confused and pained than he did on the sidelines. He looked like he was constipated or was thinking WTF.

ball with under a minute left, with poor field position to F up the Northwestern game in 2008.

Mack Brown tought him how to speak with a fake Texas accent, and Mack Brown tought Brewster how to make foolish decisions with the ball in no win situations to lose games.

That uptight look on Mack Browns face tonight did look like Brewsters face this year. (and next year in his final year)

Well, it all will be over after next November, and the crow will be served, cold.

The NW game was lost by the kicker.

The NW game was lost by the kicker.
What this guy said. Also, he was trying to win the game. When a guy like Fitzgerald makes those kind of "questionable" calls, he gets a pat on the back for being "gutsy". Give me a coach who plays to win everytime, not one who plays not to lose (see Denny Green).

969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

Post of the year.

Oak_Street brings such a fresh take every time. He truly understands the nuances of the college game and, more importantly, what it takes to get the Gophers back to their winning traditions. If there were a way to Twitter GopherHole posts to Gopher Nation, nay, the college football universe, I would do it with Oak_Street's posts.

I suggest an Oak_Street post of the day thread. Gopher Nation must recognize the Moses in our midst and allow him to impart his wisdom upon us.

Why do you type 3/4 of your message in the title box?

NM

It's Mack Brown TAUT him how to speak with a fake Texas accent.

Post of the year.

Oak_Street brings such a fresh take every time. He truly understands the nuances of the college game and, more importantly, what it takes to get the Gophers back to their winning traditions. If there were a way to Twitter GopherHole posts to Gopher Nation, nay, the college football universe, I would do it with Oak_Street's posts.

I suggest an Oak_Street post of the day thread. Gopher Nation must recognize the Moses in our midst and allow him to impart his wisdom upon us.

Maybe then we could get the band to march down University!!!!

Witty response about Wren defending Dan Monson in 3....2....1....

Post of the year.

I can only hope to God you're being facetious.

I vote Oak Street's post as Least Insightful Post of the Year.

BTW, I'd give just about anything to have our team in the NC game, win or lose.

The 2008 Northwestern game was a "no win situation"? If there is a way to win, it's not a no win situation. If Decker had caught the pass, it would have been a winning situation. Throwing a bomb against Northwestern wasn't foolish. The great majority of those situations, even if its picked off, it's not coming back for a TD.

The shovel pass against Alabama wasn't foolish either. That's normally a pretty safe play. If the receiver had caught it instead of tipping it up into the air, we wouldn't be talking about it now. You can only call the play foolish if you would have called it foolish before the play took place.

But there is a no-win situation - if you play to win, you'll get blasted by people who say you should have played it safe. If you play it safe, those same people will blast you for playing it safe.

I can only hope to God you're being facetious.

I vote Oak Street's post as Least Insightful Post of the Year.

BTW, I'd give just about anything to have our team in the NC game, win or lose.

I referred to Oak_Street as Moses. How could I not have been facetious? ;)

Yes...MBAGuy is for what I can remember a clear thinker on matters pertaining to the Gophers.

I loved the post! LOL! Yes sarcastic is a another word for that post.

I referred to Oak_Street as Moses. How could I not have been facetious? ;)

True, the Moses comment did give me reassurance. :)

There are some really good-natured, level-headed commenters on here, but beyond that I like to categorize posters as angry, drunk, or angry drunks. To me, one of the most entertaining aspects of reading here is determining who fits into what category :D

What this guy said. Also, he was trying to win the game. When a guy like Fitzgerald makes those kind of "questionable" calls, he gets a pat on the back for being "gutsy". Give me a coach who plays to win everytime, not one who plays not to lose (see Denny Green).

Do you mean: see Tim Brewster?

Up 21-7 at Wisconsin with 2:05 left in the first half at your own 21 with two timeouts and you run the ball five times? The second run Eskridge breaks for 13 to give you 1st and 10 at the 37 with two timeouts and you run the ball again?

Or against Michigan State this season? 1:04 on the clock at your own 33 with two timeouts and you rush twice to run out the clock?

Throwing a bomb against Northwestern wasn't foolish.

It wasn't a bomb, it was a 19 yard pass across the middle. If it had been just picked off, Northwestern would've still had the ball inside Minnesota's 50 with probably 17-20 seconds on the clock and a timeout.

Minnesota had the ball at their own 14 with 47 seconds to go. After two incompletes, Decker saved the day with an incredible catch on third down or else Northwestern would've gotten the ball probably around their 40 with more than 30 seconds to play.

It was a colossal coaching catastrophe.

It wasn't a bomb, it was a 19 yard pass across the middle. If it had been just picked off, Northwestern would've still had the ball inside Minnesota's 50 with probably 17-20 seconds on the clock and a timeout.

Minnesota had the ball at their own 14 with 47 seconds to go. After two incompletes, Decker saved the day with an incredible catch on third down or else Northwestern would've gotten the ball probably around their 40 with more than 30 seconds to play.

Oh, so throwing a pass to an open receiver who does not make the catch is "a colossal coaching catastrophe"? You really should be doing stand-up.

Writing with bias: Ur doin it rite.

Oh, so throwing a pass to an open receiver who does not make the catch is "a colossal coaching catastrophe"? You really should be doing stand-up.

Throwing two incompletions from your 14 and throwing again on third and 10 is a colossal coaching catastrophe.

Writing with bias: Ur doin it rite.

It's called objectivity.

If I'm wrong, why has Brewster been so shell-shocked since then? How many times has he played it safe and run out the clock? At Wisconsin last year....2:05 on the clock with two timeouts and up 21-7? Against Michigan State, 1:04 on the clock at the 33 yard line with two timeouts and you've lit up the Spartan defense all half? Might be the first coach in history to get booed by the home crowd after having a 21-10 lead.

Should have went with the quick kick, eh?

Run on first, run on second, second half over...go to overtime at home.

Mase threw the ball against Northwestern in the exact same situation in 2000. Incomplete. Punt. Hail Mary. Loss.

It's called objectivity.

If I'm wrong, why has Brewster been so shell-shocked since then? How many times has he played it safe and run out the clock? At Wisconsin last year....2:05 on the clock with two timeouts and up 21-7? Against Michigan State, 1:04 on the clock at the 33 yard line with two timeouts and you've lit up the Spartan defense all half? Might be the first coach in history to get booed by the home crowd after having a 21-10 lead.

Ha. Yeah, you're objective. Ok.

BTW. After rhetorically asking how many times Brew has played it safe, you used the same examples you employed in a previous post. Are there more? If not, the answer is two. With two data points I can understand why you believe Brew to be shell shocked.

Maximus = brilliant statisician.

Another clueless poster, but to quote Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game."

Max, is this really how you want to round out your week of postings? Step ya-game up.

Nick and Mack both looked shellshocked. Nick with not deferring to the second half and then the fake punt to compound it.The look on Mack Brown's face was enough to know he screwed up.But these two guys get the big bucks and get to championship games,can happen to anybody.YOUR DAMMED IF YOU DO OR DAMMED IF YOU DON'T

Ha. Yeah, you're objective. Ok.

BTW. After rhetorically asking how many times Brew has played it safe, you used the same examples you employed in a previous post. Are there more? If not, the answer is two. With two data points I can understand why you believe Brew to be shell shocked.

Maximus = brilliant statisician.
I know this much. Nothing says playing it safe like going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a game-tying field goal with 22 seconds left in the 2008 opener against N. Illinois.

I know this much. Nothing says playing it safe like going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a game-tying field goal with 22 seconds left in the 2008 opener against N. Illinois.

That's the one that always comes to my mind as well. And going for 2 in the second overtime against NU for the win in 2007. That season sucked, but I gave him mad props for making that call.

Top Bottom