After the Cooper commit: Constructing the roster.

We got three starters penciled in. We need an off guard. The other front court spot at least has a number of guys fighting for playing time. In as far as Ihnen I’ve seen very little to indicate he is a front runner for minutes.

The theme of the thread is everybody got worse playing for Pitino...didn't happen...
Murphy: 8.8 Reb, 11.3 reb, 11 reb ... Oturu came aboard to pick up 7 of Murphy's possibles
11.3 pts, 16.8 pts 14.4 pts ...again Oturu some of his shots as a senior
Coffey 12.2 pts, 14 pts, 16.6 pts
Oturu 7 rebs and 10.8 pts 1 for 2 from 3
followed by 11.3 reb and 20.1 pts plus 19 for 52 from 3
Ihnen was team leader in shooting percentage on 3's as a freshman at 38% 17 for 45
Ihnen had a different role as a sophomore...increased his blocks from 9 to 21
increased his rebounds from 2.5 to 3.5
Mason got better
McBrayer got better
dang near everybody got better each year under Pitino...that ain't why we sucked

Too many resources and too much knowledge to guess. Ragnar!
I actually have no idea who is more explosive but I imagine whatever difference there is must be minuscule. From their rebounding stats Murphy averaged slightly more at 2" less height and same weight (250lbs) so Murphy would have been my guess. Was hoping there were recorded vertical leap for both players published somewhere.

Based on what?
Intelligence, demeanor, humility, ability to relate with players and motivate effort and discipline. Superior game planning and game coaching which led to his team competing well despite inferior talent in most games.

I actually have no idea who is more explosive but I imagine whatever difference there is must be minuscule. From their rebounding stats Murphy averaged slightly more at 2" less height and same weight (250lbs) so Murphy would have been my guess. Was hoping there were recorded vertical leap for both players published somewhere.
Mbakwe is two inches taller than Murphy and has a 40-inch vertical jump and 7-4 wingspan. Murphy makes up for a lack of size with quick leaping ...

One of those subscribe things and I don't have it.

Intelligence, demeanor, humility, ability to relate with players and motivate effort and discipline. Superior game planning and game coaching which led to his team competing well despite inferior talent in most games.

We must have been watching two different teams. The team I saw went 3-16 down the stretch and was blown out in the majority of those games.

We must have been watching two different teams. The team I saw went 3-16 down the stretch and was blown out in the majority of those games.
And see I would flip that to say we must have been watching very different teams because the team I saw was rarely blown out even though they were at a significant disadvantage most nights.

But at this point there is nothing to be gained by rehashing last year (especially in a thread about the roster moving forward). Those opinions are set and nothing anyone says here is going to change that. Time to turn the page and look to the future.

And see I would flip that to say we must have been watching very different teams because the team I saw was rarely blown out even though they were at a significant disadvantage most nights.

But at this point there is nothing to be gained by rehashing last year (especially in a thread about the roster moving forward). Those opinions are set and nothing anyone says here is going to change that. Time to turn the page and look to the future.

11 of those 16 losses were by double digits, and it would have been 12 had they not made a bunch of 3's at the end of the game against Indiana when they were down 20. They were blown out regularly.

I agree that rehashing last year again is pointless. My point is that most people were pretty happy with Pitino's coaching ability after he won the NIT in year 1. Ben finished last in the B1G in year 1 and now we know for sure he's an upgrade over Pitino? It will be years before we know that.

11 of those 16 losses were by double digits, and it would have been 12 had they not made a bunch of 3's at the end of the game against Indiana when they were down 20. They were blown out regularly.

I agree that rehashing last year again is pointless. My point is that most people were pretty happy with Pitino's coaching ability after he won the NIT in year 1. Ben finished last in the B1G in year 1 and now we know for sure he's an upgrade over Pitino? It will be years before we know that.
You are right, it will be awhile before we get to make more solid opinions on comparing the two. Pitino had a lot more to work with his first year though. Feels like things are looking up and I felt like it was the right decision to let Pitino go and hopefully Ben was also a good decision.

I will make a prediction that by the end of year two it will be very clear that Ben is a significant upgrade from Pitino.

Actually, the point he and I are discussing is about the current roster and specifically Ihnen: will he be a better player for Ben Johnson than he was his first two years. I say -- if his knee is good -- he will be. Johnson is a better coach.

Name the coach -- former Gopher coach or not -- who could have done more with that roster.

It was Ben’s roster, but we’ve been down this path before.

Since Pitino was the worst coach ever, I guess we’ll just forget that Ben was a big part of his staff, coaching and recruiting with him for 5 years.

Don't forget GWG insists that making the NCAA 2nd round is the same as winning the NIT.

Don't forget GWG insists that making the NCAA 2nd round is the same as winning the NIT.
Everyone has their own opinion. We have plenty of fans who describe getting to the sweet 16 as going on a run ! It is two games ! I will take a conference title. Ben will do better than Pitino. It would be hard to do worse.

It was Ben’s roster, but we’ve been down this path before.

Since Pitino was the worst coach ever, I guess we’ll just forget that Ben was a big part of his staff, coaching and recruiting with him for 5 years.
Now you're going silly. I don't know of anybody, and certainly not me, saying Pitino is the worst coach ever. He's a middling professional basketball coach who contributed to running down Minnesota basketball.

I'd rather have a season where we get to the second round of the NCAA than win the NIT. It means we likely were better during the season and got to play in the only tournament that matters. I watched several NCAA first round and second round games. I don't think I wanted any of the NIT.

Not sure how this thread got to this point, but by no means is/was Pitino a "middling" coach. It's almost impossible to find a B1G coach anywhere but Northwestern who has ever coached for 8 years and won 36% of his conference games. He was AWFUL. 4-16 this year was also awful. To reach middling as a Big Ten coach, Johnson would have to average 12-8 over the next 3 years to get his conference record to .500 at the end of year 4.

It remains incredibly depressing that a comparison can be made to his replacement, but that's the route the decision makers somehow decided to go about a year ago. If we aren't beyond that comparison by this time next year...yikes.

Back on the topic of constructing the roster, it seems like the hunt is still on for both a starter and a backup guard. How they fill those two spots will go a long way towards determining the fate of next season. I wonder if they are waiting for more kids to enter the portal or hoping to land someone who is currently focused on the NBA draft and is waiting on making a college decision? As an example, Marcus Carr didn't commit to Texas until July 17 of last year...so there will be impact guys out there for awhile.

Everyone has their own opinion. We have plenty of fans who describe getting to the sweet 16 as going on a run ! It is two games ! I will take a conference title. Ben will do better than Pitino. It would be hard to do worse.
Hey! We here on Gopherhole will take a 2 game win streak anytime we can get it!!

Not sure how this thread got to this point, but by no means is/was Pitino a "middling" coach. It's almost impossible to find a B1G coach anywhere but Northwestern who has ever coached for 8 years and won 36% of his conference games. He was AWFUL. 4-16 this year was also awful. To reach middling as a Big Ten coach, Johnson would have to average 12-8 over the next 3 years to get his conference record to .500 at the end of year 4.

It remains incredibly depressing that a comparison can be made to his replacement, but that's the route the decision makers somehow decided to go about a year ago. If we aren't beyond that comparison by this time next year...yikes.

Back on the topic of constructing the roster, it seems like the hunt is still on for both a starter and a backup guard. How they fill those two spots will go a long way towards determining the fate of next season. I wonder if they are waiting for more kids to enter the portal or hoping to land someone who is currently focused on the NBA draft and is waiting on making a college decision? As an example, Marcus Carr didn't commit to Texas until July 17 of last year...so there will be impact guys out there for awhile.
Didn't say he was a middling Big Ten coach. He was not. His career will be as a middle level college coach. A middling Big Ten coach would rank in higher echelons of college coaching.

I think that is more the exception than the rule for getting productive players. A player like Carr (consensus top 5 if not #1 transfer target last year) can wait as long as he wants and pick his spot, there will always be a spot open for him wherever he goes. We are not getting those type guys, if we wait until July to fill out the last two spots we are far far more likely to have the G versions of Daniels. The more we go here to me the likely outcome seems to be adding one more CG who probably starts at the SG but can play PG when Cooper is out and doesnt put all that pressure on Carrington and then this summer we end up giving Ramberg the last scholarship in July. If that does happen I dont know its this massive "failure" but I def think it would be mismanagement of the roster. I dont think we are getting 4 transfer studs but then you need to find the guy who can be great at that 1 thing for 10-15min a game, if thats a true pass first PG or a lock down defender or a stud 3pt shooter, just someone who gives you an elite skill for small bursts.

That is a pessimistic perspective. The optimists would throw out the first transition year and just be happy at 3 consecutive 12-8 records for a 3 year total of 36-24!

The first year is done. We knew that it was a lost cause going in so there should have been no expectations. They FAR exceeded them with an undefeated non-conf and 4 wins in conference.

Let's quit living in the past and look to the future. The 2022-23 season will begin in about 6 months.

Top Bottom