After sleeping on it..

Because people still have it in their head he called the Auburn game and that the offense would do everything just like that if he called the plays so we’d win
He also called a solid last five games of 2021 after Fleck finally took it away from Sanford.

He also called a solid last five games of 2021 after Fleck finally took it away from Sanford.
I don’t know if he did or didn’t call those games, I’m just answering what I believe to be the answer for why so many want Simon.

I don’t know if he did or didn’t call those games, I’m just answering what I believe to be the answer for why so many want Simon.
The offense changed those last five games. Either it was given to Simon or Sanford changed himself dramatically. If the latter were true Fleck wouldn’t have fired him at the end of the season. By elimination that leaves Simon.

After sleeping on it…

I’m glad Minnesota isn’t a “national brand” because this would otherwise be painted all over the national media, and it’s not.

That’s my depressing solace. We’re irrelevant enough that this epic collapse barely registers beyond the Minnesota and Northwestern fanbases.

After sleeping on it…

I’m glad Minnesota isn’t a “national brand” because this would otherwise be painted all over the national media, and it’s not.

That’s my depressing solace. We’re irrelevant enough that this epic collapse barely registers beyond the Minnesota and Northwestern fanbases.
They should thank OSU & Notre dame for playing that game.

If Matt Simon is so good why is he still at Minnesota?
1. He graduated from Farmington, MN HS...he's home.
He's married, he has two boys. Living here is probably a pretty big factor to his family.
2. Loyalty. PJ Fleck was Simon's WR position coach at Northern Illinois. Simon was good enough to sign with the New Orleans Saints.
PJ left NI to Rutgers. Left Rutgers to coach Tampa Bay Bucs...Simon moved into Rutgers after PJ left...coincidence?
Prior to Rutgers PJ left Northern Illinois and Simon started his coaching career returning to Northern Illinois after a year chasing the NFL..
PJ got the Western Michigan job and hired Simon to be his WR coach in 2014. They have coached together for 10 years. They have worked together off and on for 17 years. These guys are connected.
3. Security. Simon makes $600,000 in his position with the Gophers. PJ's buyout is $10,000,000 in 2023. Simon is secure. IF PJ leaves any time soon, it seems likely Simon will have the opportunity to make even more money following PJ. If PJ stays...these two guys have a bond and Simon is still at home working his way toward a million dollars a year.
4. Accolades. Coached two NFL 1st Round WR's in Corey Davis and Bateman. Tyler Johnson and Braverman from W Michigan were also drafted. Coached 5 All Big Ten WR's.

So, we could make the argument Simon could have left/leave but would it be the best decision for his family?

We had a handful of athletes transfer out on defense over the last year, especially from the front 7, yet people kept insisting that we had the depth to recover from that. We don't look as athletic or physical as we did last year.

@short ornery norwegian you have astute observations about the defensive substitutions. I agree. And this seems like something new this season, at least to the extent that we're trying to pull them off??

We have two brand new coaches for corners and safeties, who Fleck also bestowed titles of passing/co- defensive coordinators, and I wonder if this is their doing? But then why did Rossi go along with it?

Whatever it is, they had better un-F it and right quick. It is not working.

Lol no. I’d go outside and hire someone new. I like Simon but to say he just should get the job hands down is too simplistic/naive. I was just trying to answer OPs question. I would have him call plays the rest of the year to see if it’s merited. Harbaugh is atrocious
Like any other coach out there, he's not married to the job for life. But he should've been given a shot for more than one game (which they won against a very good D)

And if anything, give it to him the remainder of the season instead of doing this co-coaching crap that made me nervous from the very moment it was announced.

Top Bottom