After sleeping on it..

Gopher028

Reaction score
...and watching some of the game over.

I'd hate to say it, but this loss was LARGELY on Rossi and the defense.

I pick on PJ and his choice to do the co-offensive coordinator thing
(which is still very relevant, give Simon the full-time job!)

But our defense was out of position, couldn't cover, looked lost so often,
couldn't tackle, get pressure when we needed it. They looked so bad..
Even watching "first round draft pick" Tyler Nubin looked like a D3 player out there..

any idea why?? Over looked NW? Hungover?

Even watching "first round draft pick" Tyler Nubin looked like a D3 player out there..

This was the worst I have seen our defense look in decades. This was Joe Salem-era defense, except they seemed to be faster.

How long a list you want? The scheme and strategy defensively was foolish and not connected.

1. We rushed 3 and dropped immobile lbers into a Tampa 2. You have to at least mix in some pressure or the QB knows exactly where to look before the snap starts
2. Tyler Nubin when in cover 1 is trying to play hero. On the tying TD pass he’s fooled by Bryant looking to the sideline. Even if you’re the fastest player in the league, you can’t get all the way to the pylon to help. Instead he turns his hips and takes multiple steps out there like he’ll save the day, vacating his area of the field that is also uncovered by the 2 guys in the middle of the field who can’t run with a WR
3. We don’t move at all presnap nor post snap. The drops are all in line, guys staying in same area. I think a ton of this is lack of Lindenberg (and MSM being gone) in that they’re so scared they won’t get lined up right. Makes it way easier on a QB
4. NW stuck to their guns. Bryant missed a bunch of deep shots early and it clearly scared the coaching staff and pushed them to play deep shell all night.

The list goes on and on. But this one felt like a game NWs coordinator learned exactly what we were doing and took the yards there on every play because it was easy and our coach just said the clock will run out if we play conservative and tackle. He was almost right but ain’t that a theme we’ve heard before

I blame PJ’s facelift for everything. He looks weird and creeps people out now.
That was mean and I apologize. He really does look a bit defeated though. I think he thought the B1G was going to be a lot easier road than it’s been since he made the move from the MAC.

I agree.

That offered, as Rossi's defenses over his tenure have kept us in many a game last night it was time for the offense to step up and bail out the D with just one first down for those 3 end-game possessions. Coach emphasized this in his presser.

D may have lost the game but the O contributed mightily. Team effort there.

How long a list you want? The scheme and strategy defensively was foolish and not connected.

1. We rushed 3 and dropped immobile lbers into a Tampa 2. You have to at least mix in some pressure or the QB knows exactly where to look before the snap starts
2. Tyler Nubin when in cover 1 is trying to play hero. On the tying TD pass he’s fooled by Bryant looking to the sideline. Even if you’re the fastest player in the league, you can’t get all the way to the pylon to help. Instead he turns his hips and takes multiple steps out there like he’ll save the day, vacating his area of the field that is also uncovered by the 2 guys in the middle of the field who can’t run with a WR
3. We don’t move at all presnap nor post snap. The drops are all in line, guys staying in same area. I think a ton of this is lack of Lindenberg (and MSM being gone) in that they’re so scared they won’t get lined up right. Makes it way easier on a QB
4. NW stuck to their guns. Bryant missed a bunch of deep shots early and it clearly scared the coaching staff and pushed them to play deep shell all night.

The list goes on and on. But this one felt like a game NWs coordinator learned exactly what we were doing and took the yards there on every play because it was easy and our coach just said the clock will run out if we play conservative and tackle. He was almost right but ain’t that a theme we’ve heard before
Perfectly explained.

I picked 3 screen shots out of about 20 REALLY bad plays, that included a lot of missed tackles, bad reads and bad angles.
Nubin is not a first round pick. Walley is a 2 star DB, along with the rest of them.
1695571596405.png
1695571763467.png

1695572075424.png

Why does everyone hate the offense but love Simon when Simon having a major role is the only constant from 2020-present?
Because people still have it in their head he called the Auburn game and that the offense would do everything just like that if he called the plays so we’d win

Why does everyone hate the offense but love Simon when Simon having a major role is the only constant from 2020-present?
Eisenhower concept- An army operates far more efficiently when you have just ONE supreme allied commander. When you put it to committee...it's not efficient, too many ideas to be decided in mere seconds and he's not the ultimate deciding factor anyway and he should be.
He deserves the opportunity and we can all agree, Harbaugh ain't cutting it..

Because people still have it in their head he called the Auburn game and that the offense would do everything just like that if he called the plays so we’d win
😂

I agree the offense is and has been a problem. I disagree with the notion that the correct solution is the current co-OC

Eisenhower concept- An army operates far more efficiently when you have just ONE supreme allied commander. When you put it to committee...it's not efficient, too many ideas to be decided in mere seconds and he's not the ultimate deciding factor anyway and he should be.
He deserves the opportunity and we can all agree, Harbaugh ain't cutting it..
He does NOT deserve an opportunity
His position has been the weakest on the field the last few years.

I wish we would’ve hired external but Simon is a joke

What do you have against it???
States your reasons.

You think Harbaugh is doing a bang up job do ya?...
He did call the Auburn game and beat a team that had 7 defensive players drafted.
Our offense was far better doing the KC model which Simon uses but adds a wrinkle to keep it unpredictable (like it is now).
Remember the double crossing patterns nobody could stop?
Bubble screens for 20 yards a pop?
Wild cat plays at the correct times?

Harbaugh's playbook looks nothing like it.

He does NOT deserve an opportunity
His position has been the weakest on the field the last few years.

I wish we would’ve hired external but Simon is a joke
The guy who put like, 4 WRs in the NFL.
Or
The guy running a Mike Sanford offense.

K, you're football genius

What do you have against it???
States your reasons.

You think Harbaugh is doing a bang up job do ya?...
He did call the Auburn game and beat a team that had 7 defensive players drafted.
Our offense was far better doing the KC model which Simon uses but adds a wrinkle to keep it unpredictable (like it is now).
Remember the double crossing patterns nobody could stop?
Bubble screens for 20 yards a pop?
Wild cat plays at the correct times?

Harbaugh's playbook looks nothing like it.
Lol no. I’d go outside and hire someone new. I like Simon but to say he just should get the job hands down is too simplistic/naive. I was just trying to answer OPs question. I would have him call plays the rest of the year to see if it’s merited. Harbaugh is atrocious

You know the answer to this and it's because of the Auburn game. I think that there are certain things that PJ is doing that show a complete lack of pragmatism (benching a star RB because he fumbled two weeks ago, refusing to give the playcalling duties to someone that flashed in his one tryout, running one RB into the ground when every other team in the country has figured out how to use a rotation, etc.)

I like PJ because he stabilized a lot of things, and I think that MN needed some of his philosophical 'junk', but I'm a little bored with him. The entertainment factor has worn off and I'm not really having fun watching the Gophers this year.

Last edited:

I agree that the second half was the worst defensive performance I've seen from this team in some time but the offense deserves some blame for that. It's been said multiple times that a major reason for our high defensive ratings during most of Rossi's tenure is that the defense didn't spend so much time on the field due to the offense sustaining drives and eating up the clock.

After we got to 31 points, Fleck decided to take no more chances. Northwestern, on the other hand, started playing like a team with nothing to lose. All the pressure was on our defense and very little pressure was on theirs (just go all in on stopping Taylor). In the end we suffered an almost unimaginable loss and may also have suffered the loss of Taylor at least temporarily.

Offense scored 31 in regulation, which is exactly what we wanted and needed to see at this point. So they come through and the defense shits the bed in return. You can't make it up.

You know the answer to this and it's because of the Auburn game. I think that there are certain things that PJ is doing that show a complete lack of pragmatism (benching a star RB because he fumbled two weeks ago, refusing to give the playcalling duties to someone that flashed in his one tryout, running one RB into the ground when every other team in the country has figured out how to use a rotation, etc.)

I like PJ because he stabilized a lot of things, and I think that MN needed some of his philosophical 'junk', but I'm a little bored with him. The entertainment factor has worn off and I'm not really having fun watching the Gophers this year.

Ciarrocca was hired by Penn St 5 days before the Auburn game. It was Ciarrocca's gameplan that was implemented for a month, and Simon just followed it.

Simon has worked for PJ for over a decade. Despite multiple opportunities, there's a reason he's not the play caller here, and hasn't left to do it anywhere else.

Ciarrocca was hired by Penn St 5 days before the Auburn game. It was Ciarrocca's gameplan that was implemented for a month, and Simon just followed it.

Simon has worked for PJ for over a decade. Despite multiple opportunities, there's a reason he's not the play caller here, and hasn't left to do it anywhere else.
He had every play called down by down all game, huh? Simon did zero decision making?

Amazing.

Or... Simon follows KC's play calling scheme which, works, and haven't seen a lot of that or of Harbaugh this year. Have you?

He had every play called down by down all game, huh? Simon did zero decision making?

Amazing.

Or... Simon follows KC's play calling scheme which, works, and haven't seen a lot of that or of Harbaugh this year. Have you?

I never said he did zero decision making, but there's more to being an OC than just calling plays.

Obviously Simon doesn't have what it takes, or doesn't want to do it, which is why he's never been a full time play calling OC in his life.

It was a Mason defense in the second half. The whole thing felt like a blast from Gopher past

Yes it's in their head he called the game cause he actually did. PJ said he Simon called the game. Dont let facts get in your way tho 🤷

Top Bottom