ADs: Gophers' facilities can support NIT - not NCAA - titles for Tubby Smith

Reserve

Reaction score
CM Newton on the lack of facilities for the Gophers:

NEW YORK - NIT chairman C.M. Newton gets to see his former Kentucky coach try to win another national postseason tournament this week. But he figures Tubby Smith won't be able to win the main one again, the NCAA, unless the University of Minnesota gives him what he needs.

"He's not had the chance at Minnesota yet," Newton, the athletics director who hired Smith and watched the new coach lead the Wildcats to the 1998 NCAA title, told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday, March 28. "They're going to have to make some decisions facilitywise in order for him to do that, in my opinion. They're behind Michigan State and Ohio State and others

Comments from Maturi in the article as well:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20276667/ads-gophers-facilities-can-support-nit-not-ncaa

"It might be tougher to deal with prosperity than it is to deal with adversity," Smith said. "That's why you have to be concerned about this time of the year. I've seen it before. Guys who come in and they didn't think they were part of the experience, they look to transfer or something else. So I have to worry about now and concentrate on what we need to do to get ready for Stanford."

Setting the stage?

"It might be tougher to deal with prosperity than it is to deal with adversity," Smith said. "That's why you have to be concerned about this time of the year. I've seen it before. Guys who come in and they didn't think they were part of the experience, they look to transfer or something else. So I have to worry about now and concentrate on what we need to do to get ready for Stanford."

Setting the stage?

Just what I feared: Ralph's transferring.

Just what I feared: Ralph's transferring.

Lord please no. Heard AR.Trib on ESPN 1500 tonight, said Tubby has been encouraging RS to play, he has practiced and looked ready to give it a try for a while now. He asks him before every game how he feels, looking for "I'm ready to go coach".... but gets a ho-hum answer.

EE is sick and might not able to play (bet he tuffs it out). If not Andre.I will see 30mins unless RS steps up. What's it gonna be?

Lord please no. Heard AR.Trib on ESPN 1500 tonight, said Tubby has been encouraging RS to play, he has practiced and looked ready to give it a try for a while now. He asks him before every game how he feels, looking for "I'm ready to go coach".... but gets a ho-hum answer.

EE is sick and might not able to play (bet he tuffs it out). If not Andre.I will see 30mins unless RS steps up. What's it gonna be?

RS3 is worried he might ruin his shot as a lottery pick

Welch had some piss poor body language at the end of regulation. This is clearly Andre H's team to run now. It's not absurd to think Welch could transfer. He hasn't sat out a year yet.

I stand corrected. It looks like he redshirted his first year at UC-Davis. I knew he hadn't sat out either of the two years prior to this year. My mistake.

Reckon he'll stay then. That's good, as far as I'm concerned. Any idea what was up at the end of regulation vs. Washington?

I stand corrected. It looks like he redshirted his first year at UC-Davis. I knew he hadn't sat out either of the two years prior to this year. My mistake.

Reckon he'll stay then. That's good, as far as I'm concerned. Any idea what was up at the end of regulation vs. Washington?
Was it a situation where he was told to enter the game and then Tubby decided against it? It certainly does appear that Tubby is, as station 19 said, setting the stage. Sure would be interesting to know whats going to transpire.

Whatever happens, next year we will go to war with the army we've got. That's the only way to do it.

I am always intrigued by the practice facility discussion. What are the most successful teams without one? Are there any in the Final Four? The Elite Eight? Sweet 16? Is there a list of who does and doesn't have one? We also need to be concerned with correlation/causation issues. If Kentucky decides that this year's success has provided them with enough revenue to afford solid gold toilet flushers next season, and then the have another good year next year, that doesn't mean that they succeeded because of the toilet flushers.

Whatever happens, next year we will go to war with the army we've got. That's the only way to do it.

I am always intrigued by the practice facility discussion. What are the most successful teams without one? Are there any in the Final Four? The Elite Eight? Sweet 16? Is there a list of who does and doesn't have one? We also need to be concerned with correlation/causation issues. If Kentucky decides that this year's success has provided them with enough revenue to afford solid gold toilet flushers next season, and then the have another good year next year, that doesn't mean that they succeeded because of the toilet flushers.

I think most teams have them, I'd assume all final 4 teams do. The most notable that doesn't / didn't was UCONN. They were pretty successful before the practice facility craze ever started so it didn't affect them as much, however, now they are getting one.

Butler doesn't have one, however none of the teams in their conference do either (to my knowledge).

Kansas opened their practice facility in 2009, after winning the 2008 National Championship. And they are just now making it back to the Final Four.

Kansas opened their practice facility in 2009, after winning the 2008 National Championship. And they are just now making it back to the Final Four.
Kansas also had great success before the practice facility craze.

Kansas also had great success before the practice facility craze.

That was kind of my point. The fact that programs that were successful before getting practice facilities are also successful after doesn't prove much. I am looking for a team that was not good before but is now. Or a great program that has tapered off due to not building one.

That was kind of my point. The fact that programs that were successful before getting practice facilities are also successful after doesn't prove much. I am looking for a team that was not good before but is now. Or a great program that has tapered off due to not building one.
I was just responding to Nate's post.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Winning an NCAA title? Here's a newsflash: Even with a practice facility, we wouldn't be winning NCAA titles now or at any time even remotely in the future, so how about we just table the national championship talk and start at square one: Qualifying for the NCAA Tournament more than twice every five years.

Also, everybody realizes the need for a practice facility. That's neither a secret nor a revelation and nothing C.M. Newton has to say on the matter is going to change anybody's feelings on it. Same goes for Maturi. He can pledge to keep working hard on the practice facility all he wants. The bottom line is that he's an outgoing AD who is going to replaced sometime in the not-to-distant future. That being the case, I think I'll wait to see what the new AD can do in terms of fundraising for the practice facility. Maturi may indeed be able to help fundraise for the practice facility; after all, his new position is pretty vague in its job description. But past results indicate he hasn't exactly been doing a bang up job in that regard.

All and all, I'm not sure what the point of the article was. Maybe trying to take the whole practice facility discussion in a new direction? I honestly don't know. Speaking for myself, all I see is the whole "we need a practice facility" discussion fluffed up by the always great phrase "NCAA championship."

I think most teams have them, I'd assume all final 4 teams do. The most notable that doesn't / didn't was UCONN. They were pretty successful before the practice facility craze ever started so it didn't affect them as much, however, now they are getting one.

Butler doesn't have one, however none of the teams in their conference do either (to my knowledge).

Highly doubtful. 90% of high schools with an enrollment of over 1400 or so in MN have a practice facility.

I am all about getting a practice facility! A new practice facility would be AMAZING and it would help with recruiting! However, a shiny new facility doesn’t transform the athletes or ultimately make them any better! Look at Butler and all of their success without a practice facility! Hopefully a practice facility will be a small factor in drawing in some talented athletes.

What's considered a practice facility for HS?

I don't know. I've never actually seen Indiana or Ohio State's practice facility. From what I've heard they're just two to four practice gyms with a weight room and maybe some offices. Based off that description, I can't think of any large schools in the metro that do not have something like that. Most high schools in the Twin Cities have three or four gyms with a track around that are called the activity center or fieldhouse. They usually have a track and weight room as well. If we got a practice facility that's all we'd be getting, right? Just a building with a few practice courts and a weight room?

I'm just puzzled that a private school like Hill Murray has a practice facility, but a Big Ten University doesn't.

RS3 is worried he might ruin his shot as a lottery pick

Not a big RS3 guy, but if he would have played 20mins last night he would have been unfairly savaged for the loss.

Watching that game I missed Colton, he would have pummeled that neanderthal.

Top Bottom