Additions, Surprises?

DL65

Reaction score
Minnesota signed all 21 verbal commitments this morning. Question: Do you think there'll be any additions or surprises today? Do you think they're done recruiting for this signing class, or will they be looking at players of schools that had more commitments than scholarships?

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota signed all 21 verbal commitments this morning. Question: Do you think there'll be any additions or surprises today? Do you think they're done recruiting for this signing class, or will they be looking at players of schools that had more commitments than scholarships?

Go Gophers!!

They are waiting to see if Kenney is accepted and if Glasgow decides to walk-on here or at tOSU. Those are two that I have read about.

Andy is keeping the gophers sports chat open a little longer just to see if 1 or 2 more NLI come in. Didn't say any more than that...

Sounds like Glasgow is taking a weekend visit to tOSU so I doubt he'd sign today.

I think we're done, unless Kenney gets the go ahead from the staff.

Marz is going to UW.

Marz was having a signing this morning at the high school. He is going to Wisconsin there is no chance at all of him changing his mind.

Anybody else out there unsigned that Kill may be interested in. It does seem they need a few more. OL is in good shape, but other positions could use a little more depth.

Marz' status now changed to "Signed LOI" with Wisconsin on Rivals.

Marz' status now changed to "Signed LOI" with Wisconsin on Rivals.

UGGGGGGGGGG! I believe he is the only Minnesota kid to fall under the evil spell of brent enema. I hope no other Minnesota kid makes the same mistake.

Marz was having a signing this morning at the high school. He is going to Wisconsin there is no chance at all of him changing his mind.

It's too bad. He felt like Madison had a more small-town feel for him. I don't get it. There are urban kids willing to go to Iowa City and the like, to be in the "small-town", but we also have these small town MN kids afraid of Mpls. Mpls has it all for these kids (compared to other BigTen campuses). You can literally exist just on the TC campuses and it can seem as self-contained and provincial as you may like, but we also have the larger metro with everything it can offer - both during and after your playing days.

It's too bad. He felt like Madison had a more small-town feel for him. I don't get it. There are urban kids willing to go to Iowa City and the like, to be in the "small-town", but we also have these small town MN kids afraid of Mpls. Mpls has it all for these kids (compared to other BigTen campuses). You can literally exist just on the TC campuses and it can seem as self-contained and provincial as you may like, but we also have the larger metro with everything it can offer - both during and after your playing days.

Until our out-state walk-on program grows, kids like Marz will possibly feel more comfortable at Iowa or Wis. I graduated with 170 kids and was one of 3 kids that went to the U for school. Big city and campus is not for all. I couldn't wait for the big city.

I couldn't agree more, out of High School I HATED Minneapolis and big cities. I came to the U and Dinkytown has a true smalltown fee. If I feel like taking a 7 minute bus ride I can go watch the Twins, T-Wolves, or just get a big city fix (bars, concerts, etc...).

Do you really think that is it.

There was one thing that figured into his choice more than anything and it has zero to do with the campus. It was much more important to go to a program known for developing big offensive lineman that have NFL success. No I am sure the NFL is not in his thinking but he is a big lineman who wants to go to a program that develops lineman. The coaching situation was a major factor in his choice.

There was one thing that figured into his choice more than anything and it has zero to do with the campus. It was much more important to go to a program known for developing big offensive lineman that have NFL success. No I am sure the NFL is not in his thinking but he is a big lineman who wants to go to a program that develops lineman. The coaching situation was a major factor in his choice.

I agree as well. If two years from now a kid from MN is making the same choice that would be a red flag.

I agree as well. If two years from now a kid from MN is making the same choice that would be a red flag.

I would give it three. That will give time for the current crop of lineman being recruited to start showing potential.

So, you saying Ed Olson, Tommy Olson, Jimmy Gjere, etc don't have as much potential for the next level as Marz? Are these guys destroying any chance for the next level by being at MN and not at WI? I don't buy it. WI has developed a lot of lineman, but MN has developed O-lineman as well. WI has probably put more homegrown lineman with NFL potential in the league than any other position. The o-line is where they have a lot of homegrown talent. The same goes for MN, - we just haven't kept them all here, e.g. - Henderson and Marz.

Unless I am mistaken, I believe he had strong family ties to Wisconsin. Instead of bemoaning losing out, in regard to the OL, I believe the Gophers have more then enough positives to not get all that bothered over him.

It is a big deal to sign a Div 1 LOI, but it would be a bigger deal to sign a LOI to play in your HOME state not a in foreign country like sconnie.

Didn't Shortell change his verbal a while back to Michigan? Or am I thinking of someone else? I thought we lost a verbal QB to Michigan (that being Shortell)

Having grown up in a small town - about 500 people - I can confirm that a lot of people think that going to the Big, Bad city of Minneapolis is something like taking a vacation to Egypt would be right now.

Didn't Shortell change his verbal a while back to Michigan? Or am I thinking of someone else? I thought we lost a verbal QB to Michigan (that being Shortell)

Michigan showed interest but he was not interested. They got the DB Carter from us.

Having grown up in a small town - about 500 people - I can confirm that a lot of people think that going to the Big, Bad city of Minneapolis is something like taking a vacation to Egypt would be right now.

My sister-in-law makes my brother drive her to meetings in the "Cities" is she has them.

You're thinking of CB Tamani Carter. Switched shortly after Hoke got the job. Shortell was reportedly pursued by Michigan, as well as OSU (confirmed?). Sounds like Coach's Kill's Pitt State connection helped solidly Shortell's committment to the U, as Shortell's dad is a Pitt State alum.

You're thinking of CB Tamani Carter. Switched shortly after Hoke got the job. Shortell was reportedly pursued by Michigan, as well as OSU (confirmed?). Sounds like Coach's Kill's Pitt State connection helped solidly Shortell's committment to the U, as Shortell's dad is a Pitt State alum.

I remember Carter.. I thought someone else bailed on us for scUM. I guess not. But I just saw that he was also being recruited by tOSU late in the game.. That's probably what I was thinking.

Top Bottom