Adam Rittenberg: Your suggestions: Big Ten division names

Anything but Woody and Bo. If they go in that direction why don't they just call them Michigan(and other worthless teams) and Ohio State(and other worthless teams) divisions

Black and blue is an NFL thing. Pass.

Great Lakes and Great Plains sounds good, but still doesn't make sense. The teams I associate with "Great Lakes" would be Michigan and MSU (and to a lesser extent, Minnesota), who are in the same division as the teams I would most associate with "Great Plains" - Nebraska and Iowa.

:confused:

It didn't make his finals, but in the comment section yesterday someone wrote the Ro*Tel and Dominoe's divisions.

They have to just go with something geographical right? Northwest and Southeast would cover it, no?

Sioux and We Mean That in the Nicest Way Possible Division and Ojibwe and We Mean That in the Nicest Way Possible division.

East and West.

A BIG NO to naming them after people. That elevates two schools over the others. Let that be done on the field.

And no to Great Lakes/Great Plains. Only Nebraska is considered a Great Plains state. Minnesota sure isn't a Great Plains state. We have some prairie, yes, but we have have plenty of forests and a good chunk of Lake Superior shore. Bad publicity for a state where a good chunk of tourism is based on Lake Superior.

Are some of these idiots serious with the "Stars/Stripes" and "Liberty/Justice" suggestions? Wow - it's a college football division, it's really not that important. Call it "Flag and Yellow Ribbon" in that case then. Things like that just make a joke of being patriotic. If it was all parochial schools involved, would we name them the St. Peter and St. Paul divisions? No. That would be silly.

Of course, some smug idiot from Chicago thinks they should name the divisions after the one Big Ten affiliated university that no longer offers collegiate sports. That makes a ton of sense -- just like "Honor/Strength" or whatever ridiculous credos that people are taking off of Ed Hardy t-shirts.

Just make it West and East and be done with it.

Geographic doesn't really work, naming them after people won't work either. They will probably sell the rights to Miller and Target.

Monkey and Lemur
Coke and Pepsi
Chocolate and Peanut Butter
Williams and Nagurski
This and That
Happy Happy and Joy Joy
Ren and Stimpy
Brillig and the Slithy Toves
Mordor and Gondor
Superman and Batman

But my favorite may be:

Macaroni and Cheese.

If you're going to sell the rights, it should be the GoDaddy.com Division and Hooters Division.

East: Steel and Cheese Division
West: Automobiles and Corn Division

If we can't have coastal and atlantic, how about Atlantic and Pacific?
Lutefisk and Cheesesteak
Lunar and Solar
Stupid and I'm With Stupid
Toy Boat and Pheasant Plucker
Spam and Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Eggs, Spam, Spam, Bacon, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam.

East/West would still be a whole lot better than something completely arbitrary like Atlantic/Coastal

They end up with some variation of e/w, even though it isn't 100% accurate. Weren't the Saints and Falcons in the NFC West for years?

It didn't make his finals, but in the comment section yesterday someone wrote the Ro*Tel and Dominoe's divisions.

Should've been Ro*Tel and Velveeta. Everyone knows it's a winning gameday combination!

Should've been Ro*Tel and Velveeta. Everyone knows it's a winning gameday combination!

+1. If we are going to go for stupid names, let's go all out.

I'd prefer our division be the Ro*Tel division. I don't like Velveeta.

+1. If we are going to go for stupid names, let's go all out.

I'd prefer our division be the Ro*Tel division. I don't like Velveeta.

Backpacking on this, divisions:
Close Shave America Division
Close Shave Barbasol Division

East - Senior Division (contains 5 of the 8 oldest continuous members + PSU)
West - Junior Division (contains newcomers Iowa 1899, Michigan 1917, Michigan State 1949, and Nebraska 2011)

2b97823b474312cf13225ca365f644b1.png

Are some of these idiots serious with the "Stars/Stripes" and "Liberty/Justice" suggestions? Wow - it's a college football division, it's really not that important. Call it "Flag and Yellow Ribbon" in that case then. Things like that just make a joke of being patriotic. If it was all parochial schools involved, would we name them the St. Peter and St. Paul divisions? No. That would be silly.

Of course, some smug idiot from Chicago thinks they should name the divisions after the one Big Ten affiliated university that no longer offers collegiate sports. That makes a ton of sense -- just like "Honor/Strength" or whatever ridiculous credos that people are taking off of Ed Hardy t-shirts.

+1

Top Bottom