Adam Rittenberg: Minnesota recognizes urgency of NIU game

Has It Come To This?

I guess so, because project what it'll be like . . . staring at a, God forbid, 1-3 record heading into Big Ten play.

:eek:

Dammit we need to win this weekend. And win big.

The article pretty much states the obvious. Although, I'm not convinced that a decent performance against USC was enough to be considered 'momentum' going into the NIU game. Then again, after the USD loss, I suppose it could be construed as momentum.

Dammit we need to win this weekend. And win big.

The article pretty much states the obvious. Although, I'm not convinced that a decent performance against USC was enough to be considered 'momentum' going into the NIU game. Then again, after the USD loss, I suppose it could be construed as momentum.

I agree...a decent performance against a battered average USC team is supposed to be a positive thing?

I agree...a decent performance against a battered average USC team is supposed to be a positive thing?

I think only if the team shreds NIU. Then you know many of us, myself probably included, will point to the USC game as a turning point. Thus making it a positive thing.

But that's ONLY if we destroy NIU.

I think only if the team shreds NIU. Then you know many of us, myself probably included, will point to the USC game as a turning point. Thus making it a positive thing.

But that's ONLY if we destroy NIU.

I do think NIU was better when we faced them 2 years ago & they scored both late TD's on 3rd & Longs due to blown assignments on Defense so I'm guessing we'll win by at least 10...

Worse case scenario...this is week 2 all over again... :(

Worse case scenario...this is week 2 all over again... :(

Yes - that is pretty much right. The only thing worse is getting blown out at home by NIU.

A win by 14 or more will make me feel slightly better about Northwestern the following week.
A win by 21 or more will make me feel moderately better about Northwestern the following week.
A win by 28 or more will make me feel that we're as ready for Big 10 play as we're going to be.

In any case, even squeaking out a win against Northern Illinois will feel a whole lot better than a loss. If we win on Saturday, I'll celebrate the win, and concern myself about the implications later.

I have a bad feeling about this game. UNI's QB is a dual threat guy. Just some food for thought.

I have a bad feeling about this game. UNI's QB is a dual threat guy. Just some food for thought.

I've had that feeling all week. In fact, that was one of the primary reasons I thought the Rodent defense would fare better against USC than the first two opponents;

Mobility of the QB. The Gophers didn't have to worry about Barkley running around all that much.

That being said, should we really expect to blow out a team that put up 400 yards of offense at Illinois last week and played them within 6 points? Yes, I would like to think the Gophers are a better team than Illinois, no doubt about it, but it will be embarassing somehow if they don't beat NIU by 30? Wasn't NIU expected to win, or at least contend for the MAC title this year? I can't remember for sure.

Anyway, against a dangerous mobile 3-yr starting QB, and with the Gopher defense still finding their way, I'll be happy with a win and seeing continued improvement on both offense and defense this week.

Top Bottom