Adam Rittenberg blog: Spring superlatives: Minnesota

With Beal in the mix now at LB, I wonder if we'll see a 3-4 wrinkle once in awhile. I would expect all four LBs to get a good amount of playing time this fall.

Outside impartial evaluation and by gosh dead on. D End will do more to determine our success this year than any other position. IMHO this position best demonstrated our coaching deficiencies last year. If there is a major upgrade with the new coaching staff the performance of the DE group will show it without any question. If so we will see a good hint of it in the spring scrimmage.

3 sacks from the team leader in 2010? If you give a qb enough time, somebody is gonna get open. My kingdom for another Willie VDS.

3 sacks from the team leader in 2010? If you give a qb enough time, somebody is gonna get open. My kingdom for another Willie VDS.

Recruiting kids to one system, and then playing another several times in four years leads to exactly this problem. The RS sophomores and up should fit the new system better than Cosgrove's. Hopefully it will show in their play this year.

The "read and react" defense of Cosgrove was possibly one of the worst scheme ideas I have seen. Even worse was the justification for its use. They went to that scheme in attempt "to eliminate the thinking involved" to eliminate confusion and make the team quicker to the ball. Wouldn't making the team read the play then react have significantly more think time than executing a defined assignment? This time to "read" the play caused confusion for an inexperienced team and made them a step slow.
If this team has defined roles and goes out and executes their roles in the plays called by the coach rather than reacting to the other team's offense I think there will be a vast improvement on D this year. Eliminating the read and react will also allow the team to play their own game rather than letting the other team dictate their defense. This way if there is a bad playcalled its on the coach for a bad call rather than the players for a bad read.
Hopefully this will put players in better position to make big plays (i.e., sacks and ints.).

Cosgrove was a coach who wasn't going anywhere...

until Brewster dialed him up. Nebraska fans almost tared and feathered him in his stint in Lincoln. He
lived on his run under Barry at Wisconsin a coaching lifetime.

I prefer the 3-4 to the 4-3.

With Beal in the mix now at LB, I wonder if we'll see a 3-4 wrinkle once in awhile. I would expect all four LBs to get a good amount of playing time this fall.

The biggest difference to me with the 3-4 is that you can blitz and a decent percentage of the time this blitzer is free to pressure the qb. With the 4-3 99% of the time a defensive lineman has to beat his man to pressure the qb. And with our troubles finding quality pass rushers it just seems a 3-4 would be a no brainer.

Top Bottom