AD Search - Trev Alberts of Nebraska - Omaha

Uffda

Reaction score
AD Search Committee - Please pursue heavily Trev Alberts currently AD at Nebraska - Omaha. He is a "FOOTBALL GUY" ! He was an All America Football player for Nebraska Cornhuskers. He won the prestigious Butkus and Outland trophys as a player. He was a top 5 in the 1st round draft choice.
He was a paid football expert/ commentator for ESPN and other Networks. This proves he has communication skills.
He made some tough and couragious decisions impacting the entire Athletic Dept after assuming the AD duties. He dropped the Football and Wrestling programs and launched the Hockey program which impressed not only the WCHA enough to include them as a partner, but impressed Dean Blais enough to accept the Head Coaching position.
He also proposed and sold the challenge of moving up to Division 1 from Division 2 to the Nebraska - Omaha Board of Regents.
I really like what I read about him and really hope the AD Search Committee pursues Trev Alberts.
http://omavs.com/staff.aspx?staff=172

What are everyone's thought? Doogie, what is your impression of him as a candidate? I know that a lot of Cornhusker fans want him as the heir apparent to Osborne. Lets get him before that happens.

Why would we want an AD who Dropped football? I don't think we want an ESPN talking head for an AD

Hopefully the search is focused on one person and one person only: Tom Jurich. Big time results on a big stage. He has hired big name coaches, he has raised huge sums of money, significantly enhanced facilities, he played for the Vikings, was an assistant coach with the Gophers, etc. We'll have to open the purse strings to make it happen, but he's as much of a HR hire as we can get. Here is a Q&A Nadine did with him a few years back:

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/94366?referrer_id=388419

Go Gophers!!

He was a paid football expert/ commentator for ESPN and other Networks. This proves he has communication skills.

Maybe he can bring in Mark May and Craig James as assistants?

I agree with your endorsement of Tom Jurich of Louisville. However he was extended a few years ago with a 16 year extension until 2023. Can we afford to beat that?

AD Search Committee - Please pursue heavily Trev Alberts currently AD at Nebraska - Omaha. He is a "FOOTBALL GUY" ! He was an All America Football player for Nebraska Cornhuskers. He won the prestigious Butkus and Outland trophys as a player. He was a top 5 in the 1st round draft choice.
He made some tough and couragious decisions impacting the entire Athletic Dept after assuming the AD duties. He dropped the Football and Wrestling programs and launched the Hockey program which impressed not only the WCHA enough to include them as a partner, but impressed Dean Blais enough to accept the Head Coaching position.
He also proposed and sold the challenge of moving up to Division 1 from Division 2 to the Nebraska - Omaha Board of Regents.
I really like what I read about him and really hope the AD Search Committee pursues Trev Alberts.
http://omavs.com/staff.aspx?staff=172

What are everyone's thought? Doogie, what is your impression of him as a candidate? I know that a lot of Cornhusker fans want him as the heir apparent to Osborne. Lets get him before that happens.

Let me correct a couple of things for you.

1. Most Nebraska fans do not want him to be names successor to Osborne, they want him no where near that job. He will not get that job by the way however, the successor to Osborne has already been decided though not revealed. However, it is believe to be Paul Meyers who is their Associate AD and primary fundraiser.
2. He cut the football and Wrestling program after UNO had already been accepted to the WCHA and after Dean Blais was already on board.
3. He has burned a TON of bridges in Omaha and the state. He cut arguably the most successful DII wrestling program ever (the last 3 national championships and 6 of the last 8 national titles). Worse than than Alberts decided to tell the team and coach their program was cut at the national championships literally hours after winning the championship, classy not so much. The wrestling program was also not losing money.
4. Just because he worked for ESPN does not prove he has good communication skills.
5. His decision making is questionable at best, literally days before announcing the discontinuation of football and wrestling he signed and approved the hiring of a new assistant football coach from out of state and approved transfer in requests from several students. Then tells them days later, sorry you moved across the country just a few days or weeks ago but you no longer have a job.

Perhaps you can provide the link to the opinion polls foe Nebraska fans on Trev Alberts. Thx

Perhaps you can provide the link to the opinion polls foe Nebraska fans on Trev Alberts. Thx

Perhaps you can as well. Thx

>>I know that a lot of Cornhusker fans want him as the heir apparent to Osborne.<<

If you're going to ask for this you should probably provide links that back your assertion that he's next in line for the job or that fans want him to be next in line.

It is my understanding that Alberts announced the elimination of the wrestling program while the team was in the air on an airplane coming back from just having won the D-2 National Championship. As I understand it, the people in Nebraska were pissed with how he handled the whole thing. If any of this is true, steer clear of this guy.

Here an Outside the Lines report on it: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6488960

Frankly, I say "pass" just based on the way he handled the sport cuts. Even if they were justified, his handling of the situation is atrocious. And as for those vaunted communication skills, not responding at all to OTL doesn't say much there either.

Some key quotes:
Wrestling coach Mike Denney got the word about his program around 11 p.m. on March 12, when Alberts called him just hours after his team had won the Division II national championship. The football coaches had heard about it just a couple of hours earlier as rumors spread through text messages from people who said they'd already read about it online.

In an attempt to find out what had been discussed in the past year, "Outside the Lines" made a public records request for documents, including email messages, pertaining to the Division I move and the elimination of programs.

According to the university records officers, all emails relating to those topics that were sent or received shortly before the NU board of regents meeting on March 25 had been deleted. State law requires that all correspondence which has "long-term ramifications to the operation of the agency" be retained for eight years. Officials also denied a request for the chancellor's and athletic director's calendars.

In public statements, Alberts said the football program was losing $1.3 million a year. However, according to financial statements filed with the NCAA that "Outside the Lines" obtained through public records requests, the football program was short $50,500 in revenue, and the wrestling program was ahead by $143,000 for the 2009-10 fiscal year.

When I'm looking at an AD candidate, that they played football means nothing. Bart Starr was a great quarterback, but that didn't make him a good coach. Having been on TV means nothing to me. Having cut football is an overwhelming negative. An AD should have been able to find a way to save football.

If I had to choose pick an AD from a school whose initials were UNO, I would pick Amy Champion, the AD at the University of New Orleans, because while one UNO dropped football, this UNO is ADDING football. I'm not serious about her as a candidate, but one who adds football is a better candidate than one who drops football.

“Some of the issues that UNO athletics has faced in the past is not having football,” Champion said. “If you do a poll across this country, in Division I, Division II and Division III, football is the sport that generates the most school spirit, student involvement, student activity and alumni support. We have got to put something in place that will generate that interest.”

The guy sounds like a complete ass. No thanks.

When I'm looking at an AD candidate, that they played football means nothing. Bart Starr was a great quarterback, but that didn't make him a good coach. Having been on TV means nothing to me. Having cut football is an overwhelming negative. An AD should have been able to find a way to save football.

If I had to choose pick an AD from a school whose initials were UNO, I would pick Amy Champion, the AD at the University of New Orleans, because while one UNO dropped football, this UNO is ADDING football. I'm not serious about her as a candidate, but one who adds football is a better candidate than one who drops football.

“Some of the issues that UNO athletics has faced in the past is not having football,” Champion said. “If you do a poll across this country, in Division I, Division II and Division III, football is the sport that generates the most school spirit, student involvement, student activity and alumni support. We have got to put something in place that will generate that interest.”

The traits I like about Alberts are his courage for dropping sports and his football background. In my opinion, a few sports programs may need to be eliminated. Football is #1 priority and should be the money maker. We may need to make decisions on certain coaches in the future and I believe Alberts is not afraid to pull the trigger if needed.He won't be a rubber stamp for the Administration.

I also like the AD at Iowa St. (Pollard). He would be a very good hire.

The traits I like about Alberts are his courage for dropping sports and his football background. In my opinion, a few sports programs may need to be eliminated. Football is #1 priority and should be the money maker. We may need to make decisions on certain coaches in the future and I believe Alberts is not afraid to pull the trigger if needed.He won't be a rubber stamp for the Administration.

Bushwa. That's not courage, that's hiding behind your inability to generate revenue and manage an athletic program. Get off this guy.

If he's not a "rubber stamp" for the admin, he's going to get fired. The AD starts with the school president, and the Director should be an extension of him. You do what your boss wants. Those programs were dropped because that's what the UNO admin wanted.

Uffda said:

You know what isn't courageous, firing your most successful coach who had been there for many years over the phone. A real man or courageous man would do it face to face. He didn't even have the courage to look the athletes and coach in the face.

Let me correct a couple of things for you.

1. Most Nebraska fans do not want him to be names successor to Osborne, they want him no where near that job. He will not get that job by the way however, the successor to Osborne has already been decided though not revealed. However, it is believe to be Paul Meyers who is their Associate AD and primary fundraiser.
2. He cut the football and Wrestling program after UNO had already been accepted to the WCHA and after Dean Blais was already on board.
3. He has burned a TON of bridges in Omaha and the state. He cut arguably the most successful DII wrestling program ever (the last 3 national championships and 6 of the last 8 national titles). Worse than than Alberts decided to tell the team and coach their program was cut at the national championships literally hours after winning the championship, classy not so much. The wrestling program was also not losing money.
4. Just because he worked for ESPN does not prove he has good communication skills.
5. His decision making is questionable at best, literally days before announcing the discontinuation of football and wrestling he signed and approved the hiring of a new assistant football coach from out of state and approved transfer in requests from several students. Then tells them days later, sorry you moved across the country just a few days or weeks ago but you no longer have a job.

He did drop football and wrestling at UNO....BUT...the athletic department at UNO was LOSING millions and millions of dollars. On a Saturday afternoon in Omaha, do you suppose ANYBODY gave a rip about attending a DII football game when the Huskers were playing? And, DII wrestling is NOT going to pay any bills...but...instead eats up money...

Omaha doesn't have ANY major league sports. The city is in the shadow of Lincoln on Saturdays in the fall and I don't think they much give a rip because EVERYWHERE in the state of Nebraska is in the shadow of Lincoln during football season.

Creighton dropped football half a century ago. BUT, Creighton has the BEST Division I Men's Hoops program in the city of Omaha and in the state of Nebraska. They have made 17 NCAA Hoops Tournaments. Year in and year out, they have averaged between 14,000 and 15,000 per home game. This year, when they have had an excellent team, they have averaged well over 17,000 fans per game for this season. They just advanced in the Tourney with a win over Alabama and will play North Carolina on Sunday.

This year the Creighton Men's Soccer Team advanced to the Final Four in Division I Soccer.

The other Division I sporting event that Omaha has always supported is the College World Series.

UNO has been TOTALLY left out of the Division I scene until their Hockey Program made the jump. That has been very successful for them and Omaha is HUNGRY for Division I sports. When Alberts took over in 2009, the athletic department at UNO was a TERRIBLE mess and was bleeding so much red ink that it is questionable what might have become of their sports programs. With money getting harder and harder to come by, they had to do something BOLD. And, it looks as though Alberts did just that.

He cut football. He also cut wrestling. In the process he made some enemies. BUT, he is bringing Hoops to Division I and he has a Division I Hockey program to try to win the hearts of the sports-hungry Omaha population.

Creighton has very competetive Basketball and Soccer and UNO will have competetive Division I Hockey and will bring hoops to Division I. Omaha can be a GREAT market for them. At Lincoln they have great football...but...men's hoops pretty much is in the tank.In a way, Omaha is a little section of Nebraska unto itself. UNO will now be able to try to get corporate involvement (Union Pacific RR is headquartered there) and the population of the greater Omaha Area involved with their two cash cows. By going Division I in hoops...just think of the great rivalrys they can build with Creighton and that other Division I school down the road in Lincoln. Iowa State is about 175 miles away and the University of Iowa isn't far either. (Creighton beat 3 Big Ten Team in Hoops this past season...natural rivals will help sell tickets at UNO too.) With their Division I Hockey program, they will join Denver and Minneapolis, Mankato, St. Cloud, Bemidji,& Duluth in having Division I Hockey. I'm sure they can bring Ohio State in for hockey games...and Michigan and MSU and wisky and probably even Notre Dame. They could help make Omaha a pretty "happening place" in the world of college D-I Hockey. And, there may be hope there for hoops too. They could bring in Big Twelve teams...Big Ten teams once in a while and spice up the sports scene in Omaha. By bringing UNO into the Summit Conference for Hoops, he is bringing UNO to a NON-FOOTBALL Conference that really does generally play some pretty decent basketball. For UNO's situation, it is a perfect conference affiliation.

I'd say that Uffda has come up with a GREAT candidate here. In fact, Trev Alberts with his gutsy and brilliant moves to totally restructure the UNO Athletic Department by dumping money losing sports and moving up to Division I in Hoops is facing the hard cold facts of life in UNO's situation and is setting them up to survive by having TWO cash cows to save sports at UNO and to capture loyalty from the greater Omaha Area for the University that he is representing. He is trying to capture a part of his market to support the athletic programs that he represents. Somehow Division II Wrestling and Division II Football were just NOT getting the job done in Omaha.

So, I'll have to admit...Trev Alberts has just jumped toward the top of my short list of potential candidates that the U of M SHOULD consider. In fact, I'd have to rate him even higher than Marc Trestman!

Good job of thinking outside the tired, booring and totally predictable old box that too many are stuck in Uffda!

; 0 )

imthewalrus said:
He did drop football and wrestling at UNO....BUT...the athletic department at UNO was LOSING millions and millions of dollars. On a Saturday afternoon in Omaha, do you suppose ANYBODY gave a rip about attending a DII football game when the Huskers were playing? And, DII wrestling is NOT going to pay any bills...but...instead eats up money...

Omaha doesn't have ANY major league sports. The city is in the shadow of Lincoln on Saturdays in the fall and I don't think they much give a rip because EVERYWHERE in the state of Nebraska is in the shadow of Lincoln during football season.

Creighton dropped football half a century ago. BUT, Creighton has the BEST Division I Men's Hoops program in the city of Omaha and in the state of Nebraska. They have made 17 NCAA Hoops Tournaments. Year in and year out, they have averaged between 14,000 and 15,000 per home game. This year, when they have had an excellent team, they have averaged well over 17,000 fans per game for this season. They just advanced in the Tourney with a win over Alabama and will play North Carolina on Sunday.

This year the Creighton Men's Soccer Team advanced to the Final Four in Division I Soccer.

The other Division I sporting event that Omaha has always supported is the College World Series.

UNO has been TOTALLY left out of the Division I scene until their Hockey Program made the jump. That has been very successful for them and Omaha is HUNGRY for Division I sports. When Alberts took over in 2009, the athletic department at UNO was a TERRIBLE mess and was bleeding so much red ink that it is questionable what might have become of their sports programs. With money getting harder and harder to come by, they had to do something BOLD. And, it looks as though Alberts did just that.

He cut football. He also cut wrestling. In the process he made some enemies. BUT, he is bringing Hoops to Division I and he has a Division I Hockey program to try to win the hearts of the sports-hungry Omaha population.

Creighton has very competetive Basketball and Soccer and UNO will have competetive Division I Hockey and will bring hoops to Division I. Omaha can be a GREAT market for them. At Lincoln they have great football...but...men's hoops pretty much is in the tank.In a way, Omaha is a little section of Nebraska unto itself. UNO will now be able to try to get corporate involvement (Union Pacific RR is headquartered there) and the population of the greater Omaha Area involved with their two cash cows. By going Divisin I in hoops...just think of the great rivalrys they can build with Creighton and that other Division I school down the road in Lincoln. With their Division I Hockey program, they will join Denver and Minneapolis, Mankato, St. Cloud, Bemidji,& Duluth in having Division I Hockey

I'd say that Uffda has come up with a GREAT candidate here. In fact, Trev Alberts with his gutsy and brilliant moves to totally restruction the UNO Athletic Department by dumping money losing sports and moving up to Division I in Hoops is facing the hard cold facts of life iin UNO's situation and is setting them up to survive by having TWO cash cows to save sports at UNO and to capture loyalty from the greater Omaha Area for the University that he is representing. He is trying to capture a part of his market to support the athletic programs that he represents. Somehow Division II Wrestling and Division II Football were just NOT getting the job done in Omaha.

So, I'll have to admit...Trev Alberts has just jumped toward the top of my short list of potential candidates that the U of M SHOULD consider. In fact, I'd have to rate him even higher than Marc Trestman!

Good job of thinking outside the tred old box that too many are stuck in Uffda!

; 0 )

First off Wren, the wrestling program actually made money(please see GoAupher post above). I can tell you that few if will likely care about the Division 1 basketball team at UNO, that market belongs to Creighton and UNL (primarily Creighton). It will not be a cash cow as you state in Omaha, especially with UNL investing in a brand new practice facility, arena, and coach and Creighton being 7th in attendance this year. Do you think these Creighton fans will all of a sudden start showing up at UNO games instead of Creighton or UNL, not likely? The hockey program was doing okay (at least attendance wise) long before these moves. It is a relatively new program that the fans have supported from inception, it took a leap after hiring Blais. They were Division 1 long before these moves. This is a guy that is so childish and petty that he walked off the set at ESPN right before taping because they wouldn't give him a spot on gameday outside the studio. How professional is that? Never mind the fact that he was a bumbling, stumbling, idiot on-air.

First off Wren, the wrestling program actually made money(please see GoAupher post above). I can tell you that few if will likely care about the Division 1 basketball team at UNO, that market belongs to Creighton and UNL (primarily Creighton). It will not be a cash cow as you state in Omaha, especially with UNL investing in a brand new practice facility, arena, and coach and Creighton being 7th in attendance this year. Do you think these Creighton fans will all of a sudden start showing up at UNO games instead of Creighton or UNL, not likely? The hockey program was doing okay (at least attendance wise) long before these moves. It is a relatively new program that the fans have supported from inception, it took a leap after hiring Blais. They were Division 1 long before these moves. This is a guy that is so childish and petty that he walked off the set at ESPN right before taping because they wouldn't give him a spot on gameday outside the studio. How professional is that? Never mind the fact that he was a bumbling, stumbling, idiot on-air.

Well, the UNO athletcs programs and the athletic department were losing a heck of a lot of money EVERY YEAR. D-II Wrestling wasn't getting the job done well enough to save the bleeding and near bankrupt athletic program there...

Omaha is a pretty large market...and there ARE a fair number of UNO graduates who live and work in Omaha. Union Pacific is pretty darn Omaha-centric and I believe that there will be plenty of fans who start following UNO. Creighton will do just fine and they have a very loyal following in the greater Omaha area. There are only about 6,000 Creighton undergraduate Students while the UNO student body is much larger.

Alberts is giving UNO a CHANCE to capture market share, following, loyalty and interest in the city of Omaha. I've got to believe that it has always been a REAL problem for UNO athletice to be totally overshadowed by that program 80 miles away in Lincoln. Who knows, maybe they will be able to recruit better hoops players and hire a better coach than they have in Lincoln for their hoops program. If there is an area to attach the University of Nebraska Athletics Department in it will by building a HOOPS program that is somewhat respectable and by providing D-I Hockey.

Alberts is brilliant to be approaching this the way he is....Let's steal him away from UNO!

; 0 )

Gophergod -- You expressed your dissatisfaction of Trev Alberts as a TV personality.
I always liked him. He was not afraid to speak his mind. In my book, he came from a Big-time football program so he knew more than some others who never played the game. Thats one of the things I like about him is the fact that he knows first hand what a big-time program is and he can objectively come here and try to implement building blocks to achieve success. I think he can do a good job on the fundraising also.
Like Tammy Wynette sang years ago: " Stand by Your Man". I am standing by my man , Trev Alberts.
I also like Pollard of Iowa St.

David Wheaton. Stanford alum. Highly competitive. Former board member of USTA. Decent communicator. Lives in the area. On second thought, nah!

Gopher God

First off Wren, the wrestling program actually made money(please see GoAupher post above).

It is nice to see that you have noticed that wren never let facts get in his way of his agendas. This man may not be the most intellectually dishonest poster here but he is way up there near the top. You sir are now a Kaler apologist.:)

Matt Millen played football for a high profile program at Penn St. He has been a broadcaster on CBS and ESPN. He was the general manager of a NFL football team.

Is he going to be advanced as the next candidate? I might prefer him to Alberts, who gave new meaning to the word 'gasbag' when he was on ESPN.

How much money did they make with wrestling?????????? Also, the bottom line is that wrestling and football were making it pretty much impossible for their athletic department to work with all the Title IX mandates and all the non-revenue sports that they were supporting. The numbers were not going to work for them to take football into D-IAA and pay for 27 more scholarships. They were relying more nd more on incereasing state subsidies (which had increased from 1.5 million per year to over 5 million a year in the face of the school having to make cuts in academic programs, etc.) By moving Hoops into a Division I situation, they will be able to accept "big paydays" for scheduling road games to to "big-time hoops programs' home courts..." Maybe Tubby will pay them to come to Minneapolis... ; 0 )...or they can go Kentucky or Carolina...or Duke...

Actually, all the rest of their remaining sports, plus the soccer pogram that they will add will be Division I going forward. Much of it is also dependent upon their invitation to join the Summit Conferencee.

READ THIS for a better picture of the FACTS:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110313/MAVS/303139964

I say that Trev Alberts is putting a GREAT PLAN in place for UNO and the city of Omaha. Omaha represents a fairly large portion of the population in the state of Nebraska...

; 0 )

Matt Millen played football for a high profile program at Penn St. He has been a broadcaster on CBS and ESPN. He was the general manager of a NFL football team.

Is he going to be advanced as the next candidate? I might prefer him to Alberts, who gave new meaning to the word 'gasbag' when he was on ESPN.

Matt Millen was the worst NFL GM of the last 20 years (at least) and was only hired by the Lions because he and Ford got drunk together 5 days a week. Great choice.

Gophergod -- You expressed your dissatisfaction of Trev Alberts as a TV personality.
I always liked him. He was not afraid to speak his mind. In my book, he came from a Big-time football program so he knew more than some others who never played the game. Thats one of the things I like about him is the fact that he knows first hand what a big-time program is and he can objectively come here and try to implement building blocks to achieve success. I think he can do a good job on the fundraising also.
Like Tammy Wynette sang years ago: " Stand by Your Man". I am standing by my man , Trev Alberts.
I also like Pollard of Iowa St.

Oh...My...God...

Top Bottom