ABC Coverage Map for Saturday

Good ESPN is only pissing off Big Ten country and the Dakotas by forcing them to watch us. Suck it Wisconsin!

I am wondering the same thing. They always clear the 3:30 Big 10 game on ESPN or an alternate, but I'm not sure about Primetime. I don't have Game Plan since the BTN eliminates the need for it and I don't really want to order it for one game.

Why watch on TV? If you live in the metro, tickets are going for $7 on stubhub!

Next time post: Sucks to be you but if you wanna drive up I'm sure you could find tix for $7 on Stubhub. Stubhub Where Fans Buy & Sell Tickets. Where Do You Want to Sit?;)

DirecTV almost always has a feed of both games.

Darnit, I'm getting the dang Oregon-USC game. :mad:

Probably on ESPN Game Plan pay-per-view; definitely online at ESPN3 - but isn't that pay also?

Probably on ESPN Game Plan pay-per-view; definitely online at ESPN3 - but isn't that pay also?

I don't know whether ESPN3 is pay or not when showing college football. The only time I've ever used ESPN3 was to watch tons of qualifying soccer games leading up to the World Cup, and I never had to pay for those, of course I watched them after the fact too, so that might very well have something to do with the fact that they were free. I was really impressed with ESPN3 though- their broadcast quality is outstanding.

I don't know whether ESPN3 is pay or not when showing college football. The only time I've ever used ESPN3 was to watch tons of qualifying soccer games leading up to the World Cup, and I never had to pay for those, of course I watched them after the fact too, so that might very well have something to do with the fact that they were free. I was really impressed with ESPN3 though- their broadcast quality is outstanding.

ESPN3 is free only if your ISP can get it.

That is an odd coverage map. I understand we're not a marquee game, but all of Big Ten country has the MN-OSU game, but why does western and central IA have the PAC 10 game? I could see if it was a Big 12 game, but a PAC 10 game?? Odd.

Sioux City to Minnesota state line - 92 miles
Sioux City to Eugene, Oregon - 1,752 miles
Sioux City to Los Angeles, - 1,647 miles

I also screw.

highfive_Borat.gif

Exactly, I live in Big Ten country, I'm only a 4 hr drive from Minneapolis and I can't get the Minnesota game?? WTF ABC ??

Any word on whether they will put it up on Game Plan at least? I'm not sure I can get ESPN3 and really don't want to watch on my laptop anyway.

It's frustrating that the only time you can't see them when you live out of state is when they get 'picked' by the formerly relevant broadcast networks. When I was a kid that was the only time I could see them. Now it's the only time I can't.

I just sent an e-mail to the president of WOI-TV (Des Moines ABC affiliate) asking for answers and possible solutions. Who knows if I will get a reply.

Imagine the flood of emails ABC will receive when most of Big Ten country is unable to see one of the greatest upsets in Gopher history.

Here is the letter I received back from WOI President Ray Cole :

Mr. Pearson:

Thanks for your note. I assume you're a fan of either Ohio State or Minnesota which makes your frustration understandable...so allow me to explain.

When making our college football games selections, we give first preference to Iowa and Iowa State. After that, we simply pursue the option that we think will give our viewers the best, most competitive game. In this instance, it was an easy call from our vantage point: #2 Oregon State (7-0, 4-0) vs. USC (5-2, 2-2) or #11 Ohio State (7-1, 4-0) vs. Minnesota (1-7, 0-4). We saw just how badly Ohio State blew out Purdue last weekend and fear that the Minnesota game could be even worse in that respect. Especially since this choice involved games in the primetime window, we went with we think will be a much better game. So far, the viewers who support this decision are outnumbering those who don't by a 10-1 margin.

The only other thought I have on how you might watch the game is to check with a restaurant/bar who subscribes to the ESPN Gameplan offering.

Sincerely,

Ray Cole, President
WOI-DT

Mr. Pearson:

Thanks for your note. I assume you're a fan of either Ohio State or Minnesota which makes your frustration understandable...so allow me to explain.

When making our college football games selections, we give first preference to Iowa and Iowa State. After that, we simply pursue the option that we think will give our viewers the best, most competitive game. In this instance, it was an easy call from our vantage point: #2 Oregon State (7-0, 4-0) vs. USC (5-2, 2-2) or #11 Ohio State (7-1, 4-0) vs. Minnesota (1-7, 0-4). We saw just how badly Ohio State blew out Purdue last weekend and fear that the Minnesota game could be even worse in that respect. Especially since this choice involved games in the primetime window, we went with we think will be a much better game. So far, the viewers who support this decision are outnumbering those who don't by a 10-1 margin.

The only other thought I have on how you might watch the game is to check with a restaurant/bar who subscribes to the ESPN Gameplan offering.

Sincerely,

Ray Cole, President
WOI-DT

I'd say this stings, except I'm not terribly surprised.

Mr. Pearson:

Sincerely,

Ray Cole, President
WOI-DT

Oregon State? Does he even know who's playing? LOL

In case anyone is interested ALL ABC games are televised on ESPN Gameplan. The game being broadcast on your LOCAL ABC affiliate is blacked out on game plan so if you are getting Oregon/USC OTA(over the air) Minnesota/Ohio St will be available on game plan. If memory serves me right you can buy the package on a weekly basis.

Top Bottom