A wish list for skill improvement during off season

MinneMike

Reaction score
My wish list for this off season is for the following:

Blake Hoffarber - continues his hot 3-point shooting but adds during the off season an ability to beat the defender off the dribble for pull-up shots

Al Nolen - Complement is exceptional on-ball defender skills with an improved shooting percentage. Stay under control and on balance.

Colton Iverson - Add to his brutish physical play around the basket with improved footwork and moves around the rim. For example, he could add a hook shot with either hand.

Ralph Sampson III - continue to use hook shot but improve mid-range shooting percentage. He could use greater upper body strength too.

Feel free to take issue with my assessment and add your own thoughts about Gopher players and off-season skill development.

Devoe Joseph- Become a more consistant shooter, we can't afford you to have some may poor shooting games. The team will need far fewer 1 of 7, 0/4 or 3/13 type games out of you this year.

Al Nolen: Get and remain eligible.

Go Gophers!!

Blake Hoffarber: Get faster, learn how to dribble and shoot off the dribble, youre a shooting guard, and keep doing what you do.

Ralph Sampson IIIHe could use greater upper body strength too.

Think about Dexter Pittman every day before you start your workout. If that doesn't work think of another year of practicing against Iverson and Mbakwe (hopefully) every day.

Rodney Williams...

Dribble drive,
dribble drive,
dribble drive.
Be confident taking it to the tin and mix in an occasional mid-range pull up jumper.

Right on Golden Boy

I think Rodney provides the key to the team's success next year. (no pressure though)

Al Nolen: Finish, Finish, FINISH.
Ralph Sampson: Stop putting the ball on the floor 2 feet from the hoop and learn some post moves other than the baby hook.
Rodney Williams: Replace Damian Johnson on defense.
Colton Iverson: Hold on to that late season confidence.
Devoe Joseph: Grow 2 inches.

Al Nolen: As Bleed said, becoming and staying eligible is most important, as well as getting into game shape and playing a lot of games to shake off any potential rust. Finishing at the rim is a definite area for improvement, but developing a three point shot is big as well, even if its just decent. Can not have defenders sagging way off when he brings the ball up anymore, it clogs the middle and makes it tough attack the basket with the dribble. He needs to be able to hit a high enough 3pt % to bring the defender out and respect it.

Devoe Joesph: Consistency is big, for sure, but I'm not that worried about his shooting. I'd really like to see the D improve. I remember Devoe really impressing me at his first Tubby Tip Off with quick hands and steals, so I feel like the ability is there for him to grow. I'd also like to see the free throws improve, not because he's been bad (he started off slow last year, but did well at the end), but we need to replace Westbrook's FT as best we can. I'm hoping he can get in the 80% range, and be confident and fearless and demand the ball when we are trying to ice games. We saw him carry the team in clutch situations a couple times last season, so I have no doubt he develop that attitude.

Blake Hoffarber: Going into his senior year, I don't see much growth from him this summer. I think he has pretty much hit his ceiling, and I don't mean that in a bad way. I'm incredibly thankful he is in our program. What I'm really hoping for is that he becomes a leader, especially as he is the only currently eligible senior. I think Blake has a very high basketball IQ, and I hope that will rub off on his teammates.

Rodney Williams:
Dribble drive,
dribble drive,
dribble drive.
Be confident taking it to the tin and mix in an occasional mid-range pull up jumper.

Can you imagine him getting past his defender and dribbling into the paint with a head of steam. What do you do as the opposing post player? Step up to take the charge, knowing there is a good chance you're going to be humiliated on SC's top plays that night getting dunked over?

I just hope when the season rolls around Rodney isn't afraid to make mistakes, especially early against weaker opponents. Be aggressive, take guys on, even if it means some turnovers here and there. With his athleticism he could become a monster.

Ralph Sampson: Another post move, any post move. Drop step. Up and under. Whatever. He's got the hook shot, but that's not always going to be there, and it will be there less if he doesn't have anything else. Everything he does in the post is away from the basket. He can't be afraid of contact, and needs to go into the defender and attack the basket now and again. Maybe then that fade jumper he likes to go to will be more open.

Also, him learning to box out on free throws would help stop me destroying nearby inanimate objects.

Colton Iverson: Whatever he did before the end of the season, he needs to keep it up because it was magical. Confident, decisive, aggressive post moves with a soft touch (by Colton's standards anyway) were not something I expected, but I hope to see more of it. His game is never going to be the prettiest, but at the end of last season he was starting to look polished. Passing and cutting down on turnovers are things I hope will improve, but I think maintaining that confidence/swagger I saw in the BTT will be the most helpful.

Trevor Mbakwe (I didn't forget about him!): That situation must be really hard to be in, and I know I have no way of relating. I just hope that despite everything around him, he can be focused and motivated to improve through the offseason, and maybe even come out of the whole thing stronger. If not, I wouldn't blame him. Hopefully everything will work out well for him.

Despite the length of this post I am feeling optimistic about this team, provided we get Al and Trevor back.

Top Bottom