A sliver of hope (we're still in)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Perhaps this will cheer us up, at least until Sunday evening?

The way the Gophers are playing I'm not sure this will make anyone feel better, but Jerry Palm's latest CollegeRPI.com bracket (today) still has the Gophers in the field. Even better, so far we haven't dropped to the dreaded "last 4 in" status. Palm has the Gophers as a #10 seed playing #7 Utah in Kansas City in the East Region.

His "last 4 in" are Kentucky, Penn State, South Carolina & Virginia Tech.

His "first 4 out" are Baylor, Cincinnati, Georgetown & UNLV.

This Gopher/Big 10 season is reminding me a lot of the 1998-99 season, when the Gophers snuck into the NCAA Tournament with an 8-8 Big Ten record despite a 1st-round BTT exit at the hands of the #11 seed (Illinois). That also was a strong year for the Big 10. #1 RPI conference & 7 teams made the NCAA that season. I'd prefer not to count on that same route again.

It's pretty much in ours hands. That's the good news.

The bad news: It's pretty much in our hands.

It's classic. We take care of business and prove we belong we're in. If we don't we probably don't deserve it. Our inclusion (or not) will be easy for the committee. If our record is bubble like that means our finish was weak and we're out. If we finish well then our record and conference standing will make it a no brainer. I don't see much bubble drama for this team.

Repeating 1999 would involve a massive academic scandal, a 10 year losing streak to Illinois, and hiring Utah's coach. Yep, let's avoid that at all costs.

Regarding the bubble, 9-9 might still be enough if the other bubble teams keep playing like us. If your blind resume picks accurately reflect the committee's last choices (which I guess only they would know) our resume still looks decent. The Michigan State and Purdue home games would have been a nice win right about now.

More than a sliver

A good finish is needed to get invited, but there are also significant differences from last year's situation. This year's team has more dynamics: Sampson III, and Canadian Joseph along with ESPY Hoffbarber. (Think TV ratings). Also this team is healthy (cross your fingers!) and could surprise anyone as they did Louisville ( the key win). Last year another win could have helped, but too many players were injured to get the "come back story of the year" invited. Best deal that could be offered was an at-home for the NIT and (as assumed) we didn't have the healthy players to pull off a win. This year, another win or two...and Tubby is back in the NCAA tourney. Let's not forget he is President of the NABC and a well-respected coach. That counts, too, and the national pundits know it.

Gophers Need 3 W And Maybe 1 W In Big 10 Tourney

22 or 23 W on Selection Sunday would be needed.

A good finish is needed to get invited, but there are also significant differences from last year's situation. This year's team has more dynamics: Sampson III, and Canadian Joseph along with ESPY Hoffbarber. (Think TV ratings). Also this team is healthy (cross your fingers!) and could surprise anyone as they did Louisville ( the key win). Last year another win could have helped, but too many players were injured to get the "come back story of the year" invited. Best deal that could be offered was an at-home for the NIT and (as assumed) we didn't have the healthy players to pull off a win. This year, another win or two...and Tubby is back in the NCAA tourney. Let's not forget he is President of the NABC and a well-respected coach. That counts, too, and the national pundits know it.

So many things wrong with this "theory" I'm just going to leave it alone.

So many things wrong with this "theory" I'm just going to leave it alone.

I would have to agree with you 100%. Those things really don't matter. The only way I can see them making any kind of difference would be subconciously or something on the part of the committee.
I think we need to win 2 of 4 and 1 in the BTT and we are in no questions asked.
An NIT bid would not do anyone any good and also make me puke.

I was also under the assumption that the team name is largely left out of the decision.

I was also under the assumption that the team name is largely left out of the decision.

That would seem to make the most sense if they truly want to stay objective. Of course who knows what goes on inside the "war room" or whatever they call it. Could be drawing up top secret CIA plans to invade Canada and Mexico for all we know.:D

College Basketball is a big-money business. Big-money is not all perfect as advertised. Let's hope the wins come and all this discussion is a moot point.

Tubby's "name" will have zero bearing on whether the Gophs make the tournament or not. None. That's not how it works. If having a "name" coach means you'll make the field, then why were bubble teams led by Jim Boeheim (twice) and Bob Huggins in recent years left out of the tournament? The Gophers wil suceed or fail to earn an at-large bid based on their own merits, not their coach's name.

Oh, the same Bob Huggins who has been arrested for DUI more than once and had Cincinnati teams with bad reputations?

Oh, the same Bob Huggins who has been arrested for DUI more than once and had Cincinnati teams with bad reputations?

One DUI arrest. (You're thinking of Billy Gillispie, UK coach = 2 DUI arrests)

Huggins' UC teams were 399-127 and made 14 straight NCAA appearances from 1992 thru 2005.

His K-St team (in 2007) was 23-12 (10-6 in Big 12) but did not get an NCAA invite.

His West Va team (in 2008) was 26-11 and beat DUKE on the way to Sweet 16.

Tubby's "name" will have zero bearing on whether the Gophs make the tournament or not. None. That's not how it works. If having a "name" coach means you'll make the field, then why were bubble teams led by Jim Boeheim (twice) and Bob Huggins in recent years left out of the tournament? The Gophers wil suceed or fail to earn an at-large bid based on their own merits, not their coach's name.

Correct. Gophers will need 22, maybe 23 W on March 15 to earn NCAA bid.

I agree that the gophers having a name like Tubby, wont necessarily help us get a bid. But if we do make the tourney, what it might do, is set us up in a marketable matchup in the first round, or potentially in the second round. The committee has a tendency to try put together interesting matchups( last year K-State(Beasley) vs. USC (Mayo)). Which could work nicely this year if the committee wanted to do the unthinkable....and put us in a 7-10 matchup with Kentucky.......ooooo...yeah I said it...

Rematch with Louisville would possible as well
7 Utah
10 Minnesota

2 Louisville
15 -------

College Basketball is a big-money business. Big-money is not all perfect as advertised. Let's hope the wins come and all this discussion is a moot point.

The NCAA tournament is bigger than any coach, any team or any player. It sells itself by it's name and reputation and does not need to bow to letting inferior teams in to the tourney to improve tv ratings or attendance.

Top Bottom