A question earlier in the year...

sal

Reaction score
from a (sorry, don't remember) poster was "what other teams do you follow or pay attention to", or words to that effect. For me it has been UTEP. They are really fun to watch. Athletic, tough and Tony Barbee has them (mostly) well coached. They have characters and a Caracter, Louisville reclamation project Derrick Caracter who has been very good (14 and 9). Randy Culpepper (maybe 6-1) had one of the best put back dunks I've seen all year against Oklahoma (in Okla. City) during a game that they dismantled the Sooners. I've seen them 5 or 6 times this year and they are my guilty pleasure. Here is a link to a short piece on them from Gary Parrish.

UTEP

Any other "guilty pleasures" in this otherwise disappointing year for a Gopher fan?

The year of the mid-majors

Gopher expectations down the drain aside, for me this season has been all about the rise of the mid-major, such as teams like your UTEP. This is the year I really think the non-Big 6 are going to be rewarded with a lot of at-large bids, and deservedly so. I expect there to be at least 7 (usually it's somewhere between 3-5), and that number could be low.

In particular, I've enjoyed watching the likes of Butler, Siena, Gonzaga, BYU, New Mexico, Richmond, etc. (Northern Iowa not so much, remind me of Dick Bennett ball). I really think there are a couple teams in that group that can get to the Sweet 16 or beyond, especially a Siena, a Gonzaga or a BYU. BYU has become my adopted team this season. How can you not like a team whose star player's first name is Jimmer? This could be the year the Cougars finally get out of the first round (as long as they avoid Texas A&M).

Mnay Disappointments Among Big Name Teams

UNC, UCLA, Connecticut all having poor years. The "little guys" have turned the tables.

Interestingly (to me), the three best teams the Gophers have played are Mich St, Ohio St, and Butler. Gophers have W over OSU and Butler, and SHOULD have W over MSU also.

You forgot your Boilers, certainly a cut above Butler.

Top Bottom