A plea to the board...

GopherLady

Reaction score
which is the same thing as I tell my nephew when he's upset - "use your words" instead of crying. After a loss, it's always a little heated around here...toss in the possible timing for a contract extension, a lot of negativity, and a lot of passionate fans that post here - and it's gotten a bit crazy (which is an understatement).

Personally, I like reading the posts from probably 95% of the posters - if you're a "Kool-aid" drinking Brewster supporter or a poster accused of being a "troll." I like the variance of opinions, and how passionate people are if I agree with them or not.

I also know that the posters on this board are overwhelmingly educated, and had pretty broad vocabularies, so please use them. I've been following a few threads where I've seen a lot of name calling from "idiot" to "Dumbs*it" to worse. If you want to prove someone is an idiot - you can easily do that by proving your point, and making them look like one. I've never been a big fan of name calling on the boards, and I think it makes you get your point across a lot more effectively when you do refrain from that. A

nyways, those are just my $.02 - didn't want to call anyone out, it just makes it a lot more civilized board when people can have debates about what's going on, without making personal attacks.

There used to be basic criteria for posting. Isn't it still valid? If so, post it for all to see and and have the mods use their power.

There used to be basic criteria for posting. Isn't it still valid? If so, post it for all to see and and have the mods use their power.

I would assume so - I would also assume it'd just be common courtesy/sense.

Could have the powers that be just delete, but it makes for a much better board if people can just think a half second more before they post. Have just seen it more often recently, so I thought I'd make a request, instead of reporting anything.

The Lady has spoken gentlemen. Either find another message board or refrain from attacking a messenger. If you have the chops attack the message.

The way people go after Doogie personally is getting really ugly and uncomfortable.

I was really hoping this would be a plea to stop the gossiping about things people don't know anything about. Unfortunately it is a plea not to attack the gossipers who gossip, just make sure when you are debunking gossip you use your own gossip.

On the flip side dots are now entertaining.

The way people go after Doogie personally is getting really ugly and uncomfortable.

Khaliq -- In all honesty, I don't think in a while there has been any personal shot or shots. In the past = YES, but not so much of late.
Many disagree with my takes, which is fine, and do so in a fun and entertaining way, thus this board becomes fun.

Khaliq -- In all honesty, I don't think in a while there has been any personal shot or shots. In the past = YES, but not so much of late.
Many disagree with my takes, which is fine, and do so in a fun and entertaining way, thus this board becomes fun.

No dots ... :(... no fun.

I've been following a few threads where I've seen a lot of name calling from "idiot" to "Dumbs*it" to worse ... it just makes it a lot more civilized board when people can have debates about what's going on, without making personal attacks.
That's what moderators are for. A few warnings would wake people up rather quickly.

I was really hoping this would be a plea to stop the gossiping about things people don't know anything about. Unfortunately it is a plea not to attack the gossipers who gossip, just make sure when you are debunking gossip you use your own gossip.

On the flip side dots are now entertaining.

voice in the wilderness, buddy. voice in the wilderness.

i agree with the what gopherlady is saying, but the fact that people seem to post rumors like facts on this board with absolutely no consequences is much more disturbing to me that the personal attacks.

[QUOTE=bigtenchamps1899;162074]

i agree with the what gopherlady is saying, but the fact that people seem to post rumors like facts on this board with absolutely no consequences is much more disturbing to me that the personal attacks.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the World Wide Web - where rumors, falsehoods, and facts are almost indistinguishable. Get used to it. This is the way information is going to be disseminated from now on. The days of Walter Cronkite and Dave Moore are over. In my opinion, GopherHole is one of the more reliable, readable, and ethical web sites that I visit on a regular basis.

Ok - I missed the origin of this inside joke - what is this about? I feel left out!
........I believe it has to do.....with Doogie's use of dots.......in his posts.....

While agree that it might be good to have some devisivness on this board for more hits to pay the bills, the outcome is surely name calling. Can't really have it both ways. If they want a more civil board dump Doogie and have GL take up his role.

Schnoodler -- What kind of ice cream do you abuse? Are you suggesting that contrarian opinions are not allowed? That everyone has to agree with you? 90 percent of the time I do my best to backup my stance ... have I failed at that? I have, but I'd like to think that I have succeeded also.

No mostly you just ignore the information available and go for the easy target. I'm sure you work long hours, but your writing is lazy even if your effort is not. Anybody can say our offense sucks. You seem to think you can get by with that simply becuase you have credentials. In reality you haven't said a goddamn thing. And you think you're brilliant because a bunch of down and outs disheartened by the latest loss are only too eager to stand behind you because it plays to their dissapointment.

I expect more insight from someone trying to be a professional. As of yet, I've only seem emulation and sniping.

No mostly you just ignore the information available and go for the easy target. I'm sure you work long hours, but your writing is lazy even if your effort is not. Anybody can say our offense sucks. You seem to think you can get by with that simply becuase you have credentials. In reality you haven't said a goddamn thing. And you think you're brilliant because a bunch of down and outs disheartened by the latest loss are only too eager to stand behind you because it plays to their dissapointment.

I expect more insight from someone trying to be a professional. As of yet, I've only seem emulation and sniping.

By insight you really mean more pro Brewster comments. If Doogie wrote in every article that Brewster was the greatest thing since sliced bread and completely ignored all of the challenges of this team you would you still be calling him out to "bring more insight."

Schoodler -- I have 12+ years in the marketplace ... if you don't like my thoughts/broadcasts, there's nothing I can do about that, but please respect me as I have you.

+1

While agree that it might be good to have some devisivness on this board for more hits to pay the bills, the outcome is surely name calling. Can't really have it both ways. If they want a more civil board dump Doogie and have GL take up his role.

I guess I thought most of us were grown ups and could have disagreements without making personal attacks or name calling, guess I was wrong. :rolleyes:

Quite honestly - Doogie has kept his cool. He's been the target of many members on this board, and I think he's done a great job of answering most posters, without losing his cool. I don't know if I could keep such a level head actually, I think I probably would have gone off is I were him.

I also think that to support his points, Doogie does list examples every time he is asked, but that is just my opinion. Agree with him or not, but he has not resorted many tactics that others have.

Schnoodler -- Are you in the metro? Let's meet for beers in the near future.

I can't say that I agree with Doogie on a normal basis but he has definitely taken any and all criticism far better than I would ever expect. I would say he's dealt with critical posters better than any other member since this place started which is commendable. That being said, I would prefer a more positive outlook with the metro sports media. You don't need to drink the Kool-Aid but it never hurts to sip it on occasion. For all the criticism Sid Hartman gets, once he is gone there will be a huge hole in the Twin Cities for the "homer" reporter and whoever fills it will most likely have a very successful career. I'm just saying...

Keep it cordial, think before you post, and most importantly don't be a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag. Think of that as a descriptive term rather than a label.

No I'm not a professional like Doc.

Can I bring twenty of my closest friends?? They don't drink much either.

alright. Let's do it.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I'm free monday, maybe tuesday as well. Actually Sunday too I think. If those days are good, I think I can make time at any time. PM me.

Top Bottom