A more rational reaction?

SRSKSM

FB Season Ticket Holder
Reaction score
First of all Brewster's first words out of his mouth were this was a terrible loss and it is unacceptable! He said what he should say and he also took responsibility for the loss which he should.

Breaking down the game. First of all the offense should have played better and there were some disappointing plays but in the end the offense scored 38 points and that should be enough to win any game so the offense in general is not the reason to panic and fire Brewster.

The defensive side of the ball is where everyone is calling to fire Brewster. However break this down a little further. Brewster needs (and does) to take responsibility for the end result (losses and wins). However he completely delegates coaching responsibility to his OC and DC just like Mack does in Texas. So that leads you to question his DC as being completely inept. However Cosgrove was successful last year and has tons of big time experience as a DC at Wisconsin and Nebraska so this leaves you scratching your head regarding Cosgrove. Wondering if he has some personal problems that are causing him to now be a complete idiot as a DC or if he has been dealt a bad hand of cards. I believe it is the latter because the Big Ten experts when doing their preseason analysis of the Gophers were very flattering of the offense but warned fans that the defense was going to "take their lumps". They said the big question was whether the Gophers could get lucky and win the early games where the defense was going to fail because the young players were going to experience some "on field learning experiences". I believe that is what happened today, specifically to Garin and Manual.

In summary after all the analysis it would seem logical to focus our blame on why after four years of Brewster is Cosgrove being dealt a bad hand of cards? This question would seem to be consistent with what the Big Ten experts conclusion about the Gophers.

Cosgrove/Brewsters cards were a heck of a lot better than South Dakotas.

We didn't offer a scholarship to a single kid on their team. I'm fairly certain South Dakota would have offered each and every one of our players if they had the travel in their recruiting budget and if the NCAA allowed them to have as many scholarship players as we do.

The defensive struggles were not about lack of talent but rather inexperience causing blown assignments and blown responsibilities.

First of all Brewster's first words out of his mouth were this was a terrible loss and it is unacceptable! He said what he should say and he also took responsibility for the loss which he should.

Breaking down the game. First of all the offense should have played better and there were some disappointing plays but in the end the offense scored 38 points and that should be enough to win any game so the offense in general is not the reason to panic and fire Brewster.

The defensive side of the ball is where everyone is calling to fire Brewster. However break this down a little further. Brewster needs (and does) to take responsibility for the end result (losses and wins). However he completely delegates coaching responsibility to his OC and DC just like Mack does in Texas. So that leads you to question his DC as being completely inept. However Cosgrove was successful last year and has tons of big time experience as a DC at Wisconsin and Nebraska so this leaves you scratching your head regarding Cosgrove. Wondering if he has some personal problems that are causing him to now be a complete idiot as a DC or if he has been dealt a bad hand of cards. I believe it is the latter because the Big Ten experts when doing their preseason analysis of the Gophers were very flattering of the offense but warned fans that the defense was going to "take their lumps". They said the big question was whether the Gophers could get lucky and win the early games where the defense was going to fail because the young players were going to experience some "on field learning experiences". I believe that is what happened today, specifically to Garin and Manual.

In summary after all the analysis it would seem logical to focus our blame on why after four years of Brewster is Cosgrove being dealt a bad hand of cards? This question would seem to be consistent with what the Big Ten experts conclusion about the Gophers.

You can summarize, analyze all you want it's all about winning!! If he doesn't win, especially against teams like yesterday Brew will be out sooner than you think. People talk about there tough schedule SO WHAT!!! I don't care who they are playing Brew needs to win ball games and quick! I'm sick of all the excuses coming from the AD, head coach and whoever else is associated with this program.

I was in Nebraska a few years ago when Cosgrove was coaching the defense on a night when USC came to town. It wasn't pretty. And Nebraska then was a lot better than what the Gophers are this week with USC coming to town. Expect an absolute thrashing. And by the way, the hire of Cosgrove was severely criticized by people in the know when it comes to Cosgrove. He's horrible and was run out of Nebraska. He was only hired because he's Brewster's buddy. To me, the hiring of Cosgrove was the nail in Brewster's coffin.

Yesterday was not part of the tough schedule.

The USD offense out executed the Gophers on crucial plays USD Offense v MN Defense.

Maturi should start looking to get someone in the fold to take over for Brewster. Someone who runs a power running game. It ain't boring when you win. And someone who not only emphasises, but get execution on defense.

Brewster needs to be more involved so that his players are ready to play teams the HC simply has no interested in.

I hope Joel has him in the office today reminding him that the current contract has a pretty favorable out for the U.

I don't know if Brewster can "prove himself" v USC. But I would not want to be NIU in a couple of weeks. Because, I were Maturi. I'd be asking for a commanding victory in that game as a starting point.

You can summarize, analyze all you want it's all about winning!! If he doesn't win, especially against teams like yesterday Brew will be out sooner than you think. People talk about there tough schedule SO WHAT!!! I don't care who they are playing Brew needs to win ball games and quick! I'm sick of all the excuses coming from the AD, head caoch and whoever else is associated with this program.

Typically on this board because of the youth of many on it we undervalue experience. Freshmen suck. It's just the way it is. A BCS freshman is no match for experienced college players of almost any level because they take themselves out of the play, their athleticism advantage never enters the equation. But your main point is still the one I'm most left with. Why are we even having this discussion in year four of a program. How can we lack depth so much we are forced to play these guys with no on field leadership? That really bugs me.

How can we lack depth so much we are forced to play these guys with no on field leadership? That really bugs me.

I agree. Look at Alabama, they have like 9 new starters on defense and they did not seem to be hindered by the new guys too much yesterday against PSU. I understand that PSU had a freshman qb, but still PSU is a lot better than so dak.

The tough schedule argument loses just a wee bit of credibility when you lose to South Dakota.

I'm thankful we beat MTSU...

1-11 is possible...just as 11-1...

South Dakota did what good coaches do, they exploited a weakness

Coyotes exploited a weakness in the secondary and against the D-line on film and they did it to a T. Once that weakness is exploited you can bet it will be needled even more.
They didn't just go after the weakness, they kept running the same plays against it and said go ahead and stop it.
The part I don't understand, why at year four in the program, this team even with injuries and suspensions, should be playing true freshman and first time division one players like Lewis and Manuel in the defensive backfield. It could be when it is all said and done that these guy's will be pretty good players to even really good down the road if the coaches thought they could step in and handle it.
Right now there just not ready for this, they are not in position to cover over the top for the corners and they are not tackling well, trying to do to much. That and they went at DE Garin and the other defensive ends and found they were not maintaining the edge at least getting in the way staying in there rush lanes so the linebackers could have time to come up and make a play on the ball carrier. Over pursuit on tackling was an issue and the communication just seemed to be lacking.

I was in Nebraska a few years ago when Cosgrove was coaching the defense on a night when USC came to town. It wasn't pretty. And Nebraska then was a lot better than what the Gophers are this week with USC coming to town. Expect an absolute thrashing. And by the way, the hire of Cosgrove was severely criticized by people in the know when it comes to Cosgrove. He's horrible and was run out of Nebraska. He was only hired because he's Brewster's buddy. To me, the hiring of Cosgrove was the nail in Brewster's coffin.

If by people in the know you mean irrational Corhusker fans then you have a point. Cosgrove was fine as a DC before Nebraska and after Nebraska.

I'm not sure I can pin this on Cosgrove. Who else was he suppose to play in the secondary. I'm pretty sure he didn't supply the liquor that led to Therets DWI, and I'm pretty sure he didn't break Royston's leg. And I'm pretty sure freshmen are stupid. It takes a high dose of embarrassment before they understand the importance of their assignments.

This staff is responsible for our lack of experienced depth, but I don't think Cosgrove can be blamed given this is only his second year.

If by people in the know you mean irrational Corhusker fans then you have a point. Cosgrove was fine as a DC before Nebraska and after Nebraska.

Chris: Among the things obvious after yesterday: Your son is the defensive MVP by a landslide.

What happened to the Depth Brewster claimed he would bring in? What happened to all those "killer" recruits?

At worst Brewster promised athletes...he hasn't even delivered on that outside of being a horrible coach, smh...

Just to point out on a few of those QB bootlegs.. I watched our DE get held (especially on the last TD they had). Not that it really matters, that defense sucked yesterday.

What happened to the Depth Brewster claimed he would bring in? What happened to all those "killer" recruits?

At worst Brewster promised athletes...he hasn't even delivered on that outside of being a horrible coach, smh...

He's got a lot to prove. But I think our defense is about as athletic as the one we had last year.. They just were NOT coached right and were NOT prepared.

And I think that's because Brew didn't care to prep them for the 'walkover' USD.

That's ALL on Brew.

We are deeper everywhere than we were four years ago. Just not in the secondary. And actually we are there too, it's just that they are not experienced. It's actually probably one of the most talented secondaries we've had. But Royston out, Theret out, and the youth of the rest is just too much of a problem to overcome in game two.

We are deeper everywhere than we were four years ago. Just not in the secondary. And actually we are there too, it's just that they are not experienced. It's actually probably one of the most talented secondaries we've had. But Royston out, Theret out, and the youth of the rest is just too much of a problem to overcome in game two.

I refuse to believe USD is *THAT* much better on Offense then we are on Defense to put up 41 points...

I actually watched their game with Central Florida...they are not that good...we were outcoached...*AGAIN*...

Top Bottom