A message to Andre McDonald, Jonah Pirsig, Will Johnson, et al

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
SI: Jeffery's success extra sweet with hometown South Carolina team
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...h-carolina/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a1

Selected excerpts:

- Alshon Jeffery could have done this anywhere. He knows that. Any coach in America could have taken Jeffery's oven-mitt hands and street brawler's body and put them to proper use. The South Carolina wide receiver could still be an All-America candidate, first-round draft prospect and red zone monster no matter where he'd gone to ply his trade.
It just never would have felt this good.
"It's so much more satisfying, being here," said Jeffery, a Saint Matthews, South Carolina native who originally committed to Southern Cal before choosing the Gamecocks. "If I had gone to the West Coast or somewhere else, I wouldn't have been able to do as much for the program. Here, we're trying to start something. We're just trying to keep kids in state and represent."

- And then there was a speech, delivered by coach Steve Spurrier over a meal, that told Jeffery what awaited him in Columbia.
"He looked at him, and he told him that football programs are like math equations," said Walter Wilson, Jeffery's high school coach. "He said it's one thing to go into an equation that already works, to be just another variable. It's another thing to be the independent variable, the variable that makes the equation come together.
"He said the equation at Southern Cal works every year. South Carolina needed that variable, and that could be Alshon."

I think Steve is mixing up his science and math terminology, but other than that, I agree.

I had no problem with Seantrel not choosing us last year. My problem was that argument that he needed to go to one of these premier football factories to get noticed. If you are 6'7" 345 and can pancake guys regularly....the NFL will find you whether you play at USC or at some DII school. It annoyed me when that rhetoric was bandied about (but I would accept that Minnesota had a mediocre coaching staff in place at that point, and coaching does matter).

As corny as it always sounds, I really do think it would be so much more rewarding to help a place like Minnesota return to glory than to go to OSU/USC/Miami and win a conference title. It's like the feeling you get when you beat a Nintendo game with the Game Genie on there, versus the real way.

dpodoll68

Thanks - It was great to read an article about a young kid who was able to suppress his ego and to see the opportunity by staying home. I suspect Jerry Kill makes a very strong case to Minnesota's instate recruits as to the advantages of doing this. Alshon Jeffery is exactly the kind of recruit we want to attract to here, i.e. a talented team player who doesn't seem to have a big ego and wants to play for his home team.

Andre McDonald, Jonah Pirsig, and Will Johnson, we would love to see you become an independent variable with the 2012 Minnesota Gophers!

You guys better commit today, or we're pulling your offer, I guess.

It's like the feeling you get when you beat a Nintendo game with the Game Genie on there, versus the real way.

I love the quote. Although I don't think 80% of the people in this forum will have any idea what a Game Genie is, or even a Nintendo for that matter!

Message to MarQueis Gray. Winning a conference title with Indiana would have been like beating Tyson's Punchout. Winning one with Minnesota would be like beating it with Game Genie.

Message to MarQueis Gray. Winning a conference title with Indiana would have been like beating Tyson's Punchout. Winning one with Minnesota would be like beating it with Game Genie.

Strong misuse of analogy. Going out of state to Minnesota =/= going out of state to tOSU/USC/Florida/etc

Strong misuse of analogy. Going out of state to Minnesota =/= going out of state to tOSU/USC/Florida/etc

No wonder these kids take so long to make a decision, the rules are so complicated. It's totally acceptable to go out of state to a program better than the one recruiting you in state, but ONLY if that program isn't a REALLY big upgrade. I wonder if someone has quantified this somewhere. Like it's OK to go out of state ONLY if the program you're going to averages less than 8 wins over the last 15? Or maybe, it's OK if the program you're going to attend has fewer national championships, like if Pirsig went to Iowa or Wisconsin. Otherwise the lines could be so fine as to be really confusing.

Maybe the rule can be simplified to state: it's acceptable to go out of state to a program that is better than the one recruiting you in your state ONLY if you're going to Minnesota.

Slippery Rock isn't D-II, they are I-A (OK, FCS if you want to be picky).

I don't have ill will toward players leaving the state, but I have a finite amount of good will to spread around. I've got enough for the Gophers players. I seems rather bush league to cheer for someone who decides to go elsewhere. They will get plenty of cheering from the school they do decide to play for.

"He looked at him, and he told him that football programs are like math equations," said Walter Wilson, Jeffery's high school coach. "He said it's one thing to go into an equation that already works, to be just another variable. It's another thing to be the independent variable, the variable that makes the equation come together.
"He said the equation at Southern Cal works every year. South Carolina needed that variable, and that could be Alshon."

I had no problem with Seantrel not choosing us last year. As corny as it always sounds, ......I really do think it would be so much more rewarding to help a place like Minnesota return to glory than to go to OSU/USC/Miami and win a conference title. It's like the feeling you get when you beat a Nintendo game with the Game Genie on there, versus the real way.

No wonder these kids take so long to make a decision, the rules are so complicated. It's totally acceptable to go out of state to a program better than the one recruiting you in state, but ONLY if that program isn't a REALLY big upgrade. I wonder if someone has quantified this somewhere. Like it's OK to go out of state ONLY if the program you're going to averages less than 8 wins over the last 15? Or maybe, it's OK if the program you're going to attend has fewer national championships, like if Pirsig went to Iowa or Wisconsin. Otherwise the lines could be so fine as to be really confusing.

Maybe the rule can be simplified to state: it's acceptable to go out of state to a program that is better than the one recruiting you in your state ONLY if you're going to Minnesota.

Please re-read the quotes I put above yours. I really think you are trying to be negative towards other Gopher fans and it is clouding your reading comprehension. Staying home is part of the equation but another part is the opportunity to be a KEY player on a team that gets better and returns to prominence during your time at school, rather than just another guy on a team that is already a national powerhouse.

It has nothing to do with the Gophers, I just find it funny that every fan base has the same viewpoint on recruiting: the factors that make their school an attractive place are more meaningful and should be weighted more heavily than the factors that make the other school an attractive place. It's easy to say that the two most important factors are staying home AND returning a down program to prominence because those favor the Pirsig, Johnson, and McDonald to Minnesota argument. If McDonald lived in Iowa and Minnesota had won 4 straight B1G titles, there isn't a person on this board would who be advancing that argument.

I also think that the premise is offbase. USC didn't win the conference title last year. Miami hasn't won one in quite a while. OSU is really the only school that is on a conference title winning streak. So to say that every player on the team is some minor piece because those teams' winning is predestined is silly.

It has nothing to do with the Gophers, I just find it funny that every fan base has the same viewpoint on recruiting: the factors that make their school an attractive place are more meaningful and should be weighted more heavily than the factors that make the other school an attractive place. It's easy to say that the two most important factors are staying home AND returning a down program to prominence because those favor the Pirsig, Johnson, and McDonald to Minnesota argument. If McDonald lived in Iowa and Minnesota had won 4 straight B1G titles, there isn't a person on this board would who be advancing that argument.

I also think that the premise is offbase. USC didn't win the conference title last year. Miami hasn't won one in quite a while. OSU is really the only school that is on a conference title winning streak. So to say that every player on the team is some minor piece because those teams' winning is predestined is silly.

You're confusing them with the facts.

What's funny about it? Of course people are going to make the best case they can for their own school. Who else is going to? It's the way life works.

Welcome to the world of recruiting. Every school has something different and a different set of circumstances that could possibly sway a kid one way or the other. I think most reasonable Gopher fans can understand that there might be perks that our program couldn't offer kids that other programs could. However, we (as Gopher fans) are obviously going to stress our situation.

The fact is that the U has a lot to offer a prospective student (local and out-state) and a lot of those things are pretty unique to the U. On this board, we are obviously going to be trying to talk about what we have going for us and HOPE that those perks align with his goals. If they don't, if he is looking for something else or connected with another coach better, I usually say good luck to him.

Welcome to the world of recruiting. Every school has something different and a different set of circumstances that could possibly sway a kid one way or the other. I think most reasonable Gopher fans can understand that there might be perks that our program couldn't offer kids that other programs could. However, we (as Gopher fans) are obviously going to stress our situation.

The fact is that the U has a lot to offer a prospective student (local and out-state) and a lot of those things are pretty unique to the U. On this board, we are obviously going to be trying to talk about what we have going for us and HOPE that those perks align with his goals. If they don't, if he is looking for something else or connected with another coach better, I usually say good luck to him.

That would be a great explanation if people on this board were saying, "I can totally understand why someone might go to OSU or USC, but I hope that what's valuable to Pirsig, et al is what seemed to have been valuable to Jeffery"

Instead people made it seem like choosing to do something other than stay at home and play for Minnesota is objectively wrong:

"It's like the feeling you get when you beat a Nintendo game with the Game Genie on there, versus the real way. "

"Alshon Jeffery is exactly the kind of recruit we want to attract to here, i.e. a talented team player who doesn't seem to have a big ego and wants to play for his home team. "

Why is going to OSU and winning not the 'real way?' Why is your ego smaller if you don't go to play for OSU? I'll leave it alone, but the fact of the matter is that there are probably 10 different variables that are weighted differently for each recruit and no decision short of ones that break NCAA rules can be judged worse than another.

That would be a great explanation if people on this board were saying, "I can totally understand why someone might go to OSU or USC, but I hope that what's valuable to Pirsig, et al is what seemed to have been valuable to Jeffery"

Instead people made it seem like choosing to do something other than stay at home and play for Minnesota is objectively wrong:

"It's like the feeling you get when you beat a Nintendo game with the Game Genie on there, versus the real way. "

"Alshon Jeffery is exactly the kind of recruit we want to attract to here, i.e. a talented team player who doesn't seem to have a big ego and wants to play for his home team. "

Why is going to OSU and winning not the 'real way?' Why is your ego smaller if you don't go to play for OSU? I'll leave it alone, but the fact of the matter is that there are probably 10 different variables that are weighted differently for each recruit and no decision short of ones that break NCAA rules can be judged worse than another.

This is a Gopher site for Gopher fans, so is it really beyond your comprehension that we might look at every recruiting battle through a very specific lens? To us, these kids are not variables that are interchangeable, and it certainly makes sense that we have a natural vested interest in have the best of the state stay home and play for The U.

Why would anyone want to do that? Let Ohio State make their own case, why in the world would I want to make their case for them?

I'm not sure the players get that deep into it. IMHO, the decision on which school to attend is based on more basic factors:

Reasons for Staying Home and going to UofM:
1. player wants to play close to home
2. Parents want player to stay close to home
3. Girlfriend wants player to stay close to home.........
4. Player thinks he has a better chance to play sooner/get more playing time at Minn.
5. Player has grown up following the Gophs and wants to play for the hometown team.

Reasons for going to another school:
1. Player wants to get away from home (including parents, ex-girlfriends, etc)
2. Player wants to play for a 'helmet' school, with a chance to win conf title, play in
BCS bowl game every year.
3. Player has grown up reading Reusse, listening to KFAN, and thinks the Gophers stink.
4. Player grew up with dad/mom who went to IA, WI, Neb and dreams of playing for one of
those schools
5. Player wants to get away from MN winters

Feel free to add to either list.

^^^ I Think the above post hits the basics very well here - IMO, the article compares #4 and #5 from the first list to #2 from the second list. Of course your other factors listed play into the decision as well

There are also factors that could work in the favor of either option: player likes one campus more than the other, player likes one coach more than the other, player likes academics at one school more than the other, player likes teammates at one school more than the other, etc.

I'm not sure the players get that deep into it. IMHO, the decision on which school to attend is based on more basic factors:

Reasons for Staying Home and going to UofM:
1. player wants to play close to home
2. Parents want player to stay close to home
3. Girlfriend wants player to stay close to home.........
4. Player thinks he has a better chance to play sooner/get more playing time at Minn.
5. Player has grown up following the Gophs and wants to play for the hometown team.

Reasons for going to another school:
1. Player wants to get away from home (including parents, ex-girlfriends, etc)
2. Player wants to play for a 'helmet' school, with a chance to win conf title, play in
BCS bowl game every year.
3. Player has grown up reading Reusse, listening to KFAN, and thinks the Gophers stink.
4. Player grew up with dad/mom who went to IA, WI, Neb and dreams of playing for one of
those schools
5. Player wants to get away from MN winters

Feel free to add to either list.

Top Bottom