A look at the Gopher Victory From the Billikens Perspective

One of their best shooters was off, but even if he wasn't, I doubt they could keep up at 44% three point clip over an entire season. I'm not sure what the best team three point percentages are, but 44% has to be near the top, and that seems like a lot to rely on for the long haul. The whole commentary is predicated that they shoot 44%. I suggest they find some other ways to score consistently if they are to take their rightful place in the top 25. They are not going to shoot 44% the whole season in a competitive conference.

Here is their in game thread on their message board.

most seem to think we will finish at or near the bottom of the Big Ten.

They said on a good we we could upset a team like OSU or Michigan.

I think on a good day we can beat a team like MSU or Wisconsin and on an average day we can beat a team like Michigan or OSU. Iowa right now is the only team in the conference where I really don’t think we have much of a shot to win.

On their message board, some were saying Pitinonout coached him.
Pitino did out coach them, especially on our defensive game. Going into the game we needed to shut down any hopes they had of continuing their 3 point game which we did. At the first timeout Pitino made adjustments to defend their in-the-paint scoring, and with the half-time break he completed implementing that adjustment. Nice game plan going into the game, nice adjustments during the time outs and especially at half time, resulting in a win.

I think on a good day we can beat a team like MSU or Wisconsin and on an average day we can beat a team like Michigan or OSU. Iowa right now is the only team in the conference where I really don’t think we have much of a shot to win.

I'm not as pessimistic about Iowa. They're ranked so highly because they have the top candidate for player of the year and returned a large percentage of their rotation from last year. I think we have an athleticism advantage on them. Earlier in the season we would have had a size advantage but, because of the return of Nunge, probably not now. They depend heavily on the 3 pointer so if we can defend that well that would be a big help.

Of the teams we play twice this season, Rutgers might be the one that gives me the strongest doubts (other than Illinois of course). They have a veteran lineup, strong and tough big men, one very dynamic scorer, some other scoring options, and are well known for their very tough defense. If we could just figure out some way to defend Kofi Cockburn well enough, I could even see us having a chance against Illinois.

Top Bottom