A Gopher wins Reusse's 2020 Turkey of the Year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Lots of nominees, but Mark Coyle is the 2020 Turkey of the Year:

Mark Coyle, athletic director, University of Minnesota: The decision to eliminate three men’s sports — tennis, gymnastics, indoor track — has done so little to improve the athletic department’s financial predicament with the pandemic that it is absolutely folly.

As Fleck and football fritter away millions ($38 million-plus expended in 2019 and ever-increasing), Coyle is saving a couple million and allegedly addressing a Title IX problem that could be fixed with much less gore on his hands.

Sadly, in this one-person operation, the best the chairman could come up with as a token for claiming the TRUMP Award for Coyle was a secondhand MyPillow that was donated. Good shape, and those tear stains should come right out.

Go Gophers!!

I am a big fan of Patrick. I know he is not popular on this site. Maybe because I am like him, I like to give the needle. Life can be boring.

Yeah, put me solidly in the not a fan of reusse category. Among other things, hard for me to get past his article slamming the gophs for losing to mtsu in the dance even though we were without springs and mason was on one leg. He despises fleck.

Reusse is a POS. Considering the wealth of sports in the state....he seems to specifically target the University of Minnesota. Let's take a look back at his TotYs since 2003.

2003: Glen Mason, Gophers

2004: Red McCombs, Vikings

2005: Bob Naegele, Wild

2006: Pam Borton, Gophers

2007: Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

2008: Marian Gaborik, Wild

2009: Tim Brewster, Gophers

2010: Brett Favre, Vikings

2011: Zygi Wilf, Vikings

2012: Tubby Smith, Gophers

2013: Terry Ryan, Twins

2014: 25 Years of the Wolves

2015: The Grim Reaper

2016: Men’s Athletics at the University of Minnesota

2017: Patrick Reusse, Turkey Chairman

2018: P.J. Fleck, Gophers

2019: Nobody

2020: Mark Coyle, Gophers

I don't read his columns. Only see them when they are posted here. But it's really not worth taking seriously. The Wild spent a bounty to bring Parise and Suter here and managed to do nothing. The Timberwolves have been forever horrible. The Twins have the longest playoff losing streak in major sports history. He's even managed to sprinkle in a few non picks just so it's not a Gopher related pick every other year.

Lots to go around here. But for some reason....it's like he was slighted by the UofM at one point in time and it shattered his fragile ego.

And Fleck embarrassing him and his choice in 2018....by going out and winning the axe back 37-15....two days after naming him the turkey was fitting. After taking a year off last year....right back to hating on the University. It really doesn't matter much....since the column is in a playful nature....but Reusse doesn't leave an opportunity to criticize the Gophers on the table.

Gopher basketball also achieved its first top 10 ranking in God knows how long within like 6 weeks of Tubby being named turkey of the year. Admittedly 2012-13 could be viewed as a disappointing or frustrating year given the potential that seemed to be there, but being unable to beat just about anybody on the road. But in the recent history of Gopher basketball, finishing in the middle of the pack and winning our first legitimate NCAA Tournament game in two decades isn’t awful.

I am a big fan of Patrick. I know he is not popular on this site. Maybe because I am like him, I like to give the needle. Life can be boring.

Yeah, I dont know if you were wise to admit that. Your credibility has taken a hit. May want to change your account name at this point and start anew :).

Reusse is a POS. Considering the wealth of sports in the state....he seems to specifically target the University of Minnesota. Let's take a look back at his TotYs since 2003.

2003: Glen Mason, Gophers

2004: Red McCombs, Vikings

2005: Bob Naegele, Wild

2006: Pam Borton, Gophers

2007: Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

2008: Marian Gaborik, Wild

2009: Tim Brewster, Gophers

2010: Brett Favre, Vikings

2011: Zygi Wilf, Vikings

2012: Tubby Smith, Gophers

2013: Terry Ryan, Twins

2014: 25 Years of the Wolves

2015: The Grim Reaper

2016: Men’s Athletics at the University of Minnesota

2017: Patrick Reusse, Turkey Chairman

2018: P.J. Fleck, Gophers

2019: Nobody

2020: Mark Coyle, Gophers

I don't read his columns. Only see them when they are posted here. But it's really not worth taking seriously. The Wild spent a bounty to bring Parise and Suter here and managed to do nothing. The Timberwolves have been forever horrible. The Twins have the longest playoff losing streak in major sports history. He's even managed to sprinkle in a few non picks just so it's not a Gopher related pick every other year.

Lots to go around here. But for some reason....it's like he was slighted by the UofM at one point in time and it shattered his fragile ego.

And Fleck embarrassing him and his choice in 2018....by going out and winning the axe back 37-15....two days after naming him the turkey was fitting. After taking a year off last year....right back to hating on the University. It really doesn't matter much....since the column is in a playful nature....but Reusse doesn't leave an opportunity to criticize the Gophers on the table.

Looking at the list of Gopher recipients, my only quibbles are that Monson, Maturi, Teague, Lucia and Stollings weren't ever bestowed the TOY.

Top Bottom