A Gopher Fan Shoutout From Greensboro

Maldo4848

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a shout-out to all Gopher Fans! Stopped by the Greensboro Coliseum to watch the Gophs practice. Squad looked upbeat and ready to roll. I hope they come out to play, I can hardly wait for the game to start. There was maybe 30 or so Gopher fans throughout the arena, we made our voice be heard as the Gophs rolled out. Funny thing is the place cleared out since Duke was the team practicing before them and were they making the crowd roar for their beloved dukies.

Was surprised to see Flip was there talking to other coaches, he is one TRUE gopher fan. Nantz and CK were present talking to Tubby and his assistant coaches, at the end of practice the Gophs had some fun throwing them down. All in all a pretty good time.

The Coliseum is real nice, was surprised how small and intimate the arena is, seems like every seat in the house is a good one

Another surprise was I was wearing a Minnesota hat and T-shirt and had a lot of NC fans and Duke fans come up to me and tell me they are cheering for the Gophers, made a lasting impression on me. I think its the major respect for Tubby and what he is doing, still can't believe we have him as our coach. Was told several times we have a good ball team, I let it be known that this team will be ready to make a deep run in a couple years.

I have a feeling we are just going to come out ready to play tomorrow and jump all over the Horns, hope I'm right.

Any other Gopher fans in Greensboro? Hoping for a pre-game party with some fellow fans.

Very cool, thanks for the report. It looks like an arena with good sightlines..23000 for basketball, hopefully the place with be with the Gophers.

Just wanted to give a shout-out to all Gopher Fans! Stopped by the Greensboro Coliseum to watch the Gophs practice. Squad looked upbeat and ready to roll. I hope they come out to play, I can hardly wait for the game to start. There was maybe 30 or so Gopher fans throughout the arena, we made our voice be heard as the Gophs rolled out. Funny thing is the place cleared out since Duke was the team practicing before them and were they making the crowd roar for their beloved dukies.

Was surprised to see Flip was there talking to other coaches, he is one TRUE gopher fan. Nantz and CK were present talking to Tubby and his assistant coaches, at the end of practice the Gophs had some fun throwing them down. All in all a pretty good time.

The Coliseum is real nice, was surprised how small and intimate the arena is, seems like every seat in the house is a good one

Another surprise was I was wearing a Minnesota hat and T-shirt and had a lot of NC fans and Duke fans come up to me and tell me they are cheering for the Gophers, made a lasting impression on me. I think its the major respect for Tubby and what he is doing, still can't believe we have him as our coach. Was told several times we have a good ball team, I let it be known that this team will be ready to make a deep run in a couple years.

I have a feeling we are just going to come out ready to play tomorrow and jump all over the Horns, hope I'm right.

Any other Gopher fans in Greensboro? Hoping for a pre-game party with some fellow fans.

Thanks so much for the update - it makes me so jealous that I'm not there! As much as I'd like to think Duke fans giving us props is out of respect...I just think it's because they'd rather play us than Texas! It's always cool going to those events, because you meet the fans behind the schools, and most bball fans are pretty cool. Have a great weekend!

Thanks so much for the update - it makes me so jealous that I'm not there! As much as I'd like to think Duke fans giving us props is out of respect...I just think it's because they'd rather play us than Texas! It's always cool going to those events, because you meet the fans behind the schools, and most bball fans are pretty cool. Have a great weekend!

GL......didn't even think that they might want to play us rather than Texas....too bad we'll prove that theory wrong!

Go Gophers!

Well that would explain the Duke fans, but not necessarily the UNC fans. Maybe they want us to knock out Duke in the second round?

But even with a motive, it's nice to hear compliments from other fanbases.

If we by chance knock off the Horns, we'll have alot of Carolina Blue fans rooting for the Gophers!

really though , I could tell it was sincere when UNC and Duke fans said that they are cheering for us, funny thing is 3 or 4 different people told me, that's what I was kind of stunned. I think everyone knows that Tubby is turning the program around and knows things are on the way up for us. Everyone pretty much loves and respects Tubby because we recognize how great of a person and coach he is, that is everyone but Kentucky Fans.

Party

So, where's this party going to be?

At the final four in 97

The North Carolina fans were so nice to all of us. Arizona fans too. In fact the only fans that had a bad reputation for being stuck up jerks - the Kentucky fans LOL!

The North Carolina fans were so nice to all of us. Arizona fans too. In fact the only fans that had a bad reputation for being stuck up jerks - the Kentucky fans LOL!

Thanks for the update MALDO4848. I envy you.

We were fortunate enough to be at the '97 Final Four and that is the very same experience we had.
I was extremely impressed with the NC and the AZ fans. Had many very interesting conversations with them. We had a very nice informative conversation with Bill Raftery and some NC fans on the eve of the Final Four at a local watering hole. All were genuinly nice. However the KY fans were beyond Rude. I was amazed. I had never experienced that before. They had an arrogance that was very off putting.

I use to root against NC and for KY before '97 but since '97 I have had a strong distaste for anything KY.

MALDO 4848, I believe your feelings about the NC fans is correct; they are very genuine.

In fairness to the Kentucky fans, that wasn't the experience I had. The ones I met at the Final Four were very gracious, before and after the game. They left a good impression on me in '97. That said, it does look like they have a few too many lunatics inhabiting the chat sites.

Leaving for Greensboro in half an hour. I hope to see a few hundred (thousand?) other Gopher fans there. Go Gophers!

We'll be watching for you to hold up a sign greeting GopherHole Fans.

Top Bottom