A Gentle Criticism

Governor Sibley

Section 109 Row 21
Reaction score
Our defense practically started partying while that fumble was being run back.

Nobody looked sideways or backwards for somebody to block. Instead, a Hawkeye ran past five oblivious Gophers to catch him from behind.

That should've been housed.

That's unacceptable.

I DVR'd it and watchng the replay that man should have been blocked, but he would have gotten no more than 10 additional yards as there were 4 Hawkeyes cutting him off at a 45-degree angle.

The fumble went laterally and then was juggle backwards before we controlled it.

It will be a teachable moment. I thought the same thing as I sit on the home side and watched the guy come up from behind.

I agree with previous post ... there were several guys that had the angle and I don't think through fault of the D. I would give credit to Rallis, who bobbled the ball, got tackled, then got up and took out the guy who tackled him.

I agree with previous post ... there were several guys that had the angle and I don't think through fault of the D. I would give credit to Rallis, who bobbled the ball, got tackled, then got up and took out the guy who tackled him.

And on the subject of Rallis...by no means is he greatest player I've ever seen, but the dude has a non-stop motor and he flies around the field. Argue with me if you want, but IMO his energy makes him the best defensive player we have right now.

P.S. After that fumble recovery/return, he was going bonkers on the sideline. It's obvious Rallis is playing his heart out.

The play isn't over until the whistle blows. What looks like luck is preparedness. If you're playing until the whistle, you're ready to take advantage of opportunities. If you not, the other team probably will.

I had a number of criticisms in the game but a win washes a lot that away.

I thought the offense was really predictable in the first half and some of the red zone calls were really bad (QB draw against a full house on the line that completely stuffed, Shortell 2-point conversion play, etc).

I thought the the DC was very slow to adjust and really needed to go to a 4-4 or 5-3 to stop their run game. They were gashing the D over and over and over and you really can't keep asking safeties to stop it - they should have added a LB or DL and loaded up on the run.

There were some things like that bugged me but it all worked out.

And on the subject of Rallis...by no means is he greatest player I've ever seen, but the dude has a non-stop motor and he flies around the field. Argue with me if you want, but IMO his energy makes him the best defensive player we have right now.

P.S. After that fumble recovery/return, he was going bonkers on the sideline. It's obvious Rallis is playing his heart out.

I remember writing about Rallis and his non-stop motor last season and got ripped by some yahoo who replied, "whatever that means?" It's pretty obvious what that means and he certainly has one. Rallis is far from our best player out there, but his hustle is very noticable.

The extra point play with Shortell was a well designed play. The receiver was wide open. Shortell just made a bad pass.

The extra point play with Shortell was a well designed play. The receiver was wide open. Shortell just made a bad pass.
Wasn't a bad pass. Defensive lineman made a nice play to get his hand on the ball.

QB Draw was a legit play call, keep the ball in the hands of your best player and hope the other team bites on the fake. Gray easily could have bounced that outside and been in for the score.

He can't play downhill.

Fill in "he" with the aforementioned linebacker.

Wasn't a bad pass. Defensive lineman made a nice play to get his hand on the ball.

Was a bad pass. Shortell and almost the entire D were moving to his right. McKnight was running a post. Shortell was under no pressure, and had he held onto the ball for an extra second, the passing lane would've been wide open.

When Kirksey was running with the ball, it felt an awful lot like Tinsley's INT vs. Purdue last year.

Grays 2pt conversion draw play was not a horrible play. Watch it again, gray had a great day, but all he had to do was bounce it to his left and there is no one there. May not have even have even been touched too

Not that one, there was one on a drive before that where it was crushed into the teeth of the D for a fairly big loss.

Was a bad pass. Shortell and almost the entire D were moving to his right. McKnight was running a post. Shortell was under no pressure, and had he held onto the ball for an extra second, the passing lane would've been wide open.
Freshmen mistake. Doesn't make it a bad play.

Yup. Shouldn't be the best player but often is.

Top Bottom