A few USC thoughts.

Ole

Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw out a few points that struck me about the USC matchup.

1)Royston's impact will be felt.
Our safety situation was godawful early last season, Theret had just come off of his suspension, Manuel and C. Lewis were still glowing from the toasting they got against USD. If Salamon can play his part and allow Royston to read Barkley, could be an opportunity for a big game. Also Stoudemire didn't play CB last year, I think there is a good chance our secondary is better than we all think, not deep at all, but that's a different issue.

2)If USC is indeed preparing for NIU, Lair could be a differencemaker. It's become obvious that Lair is not a typical Kill/Limegrover TE/Hback, he's got skills beyond what they usually have at that position, combined with Gray's running potentially sucking the LBer's/Safeties up the the LOS, Lair could be a guy that gets free early and often, he's got good open field running ability to cause some damage.

3)Our run defense will be ok, expect Beal/Tinsley/Rallis/Cooper to limit between the tackles damage, and Stoudemire/Salamon/Royston/Vereen to be better at defending the perimeters, if the Lber's can handle the run better, the PA pass will be less deadly than it was last year.

4)Marcus Jones will have an opportunity to shine if they choose not to kickoff to Stoudemire, can he rise to the occasion? We'll see.

Feeling better about this game everyday as I read more into it.
Wild card will be desperation by USC if things stay too close for comfort, Kiffin cannot lose this game, it would hurt his motivation for his team all season which has nothing to play for but pride and an AP championship.

Love the optimism. Is it Saturday yet?

Lair's going to have a monster year. His skills are going to more than make up for the the dropoff at WR after McKnight.

Living the last 30 years near usc brings the annual over hyped, now playing for the "mythical" AP title talk. This is a poor usc team that can be beat Saturday. SC will lose at least 4 games this year. Both lines are a mess. The sc defense is a joke. Shut down Barkley to Woods passing and run the ball down there throats. All the pressure is on SC. Kiffin is more concerned about Utah the next week.

Living the last 30 years near usc brings the annual over hyped, now playing for the "mythical" AP title talk. This is a poor usc team that can be beat Saturday. SC will lose at least 4 games this year. Both lines are a mess. The sc defense is a joke. Shut down Barkley to Woods passing and run the ball down there throats. All the pressure is on SC. Kiffin is more concerned about Utah the next week.

I agree, however there are NFL caliber athletes on that squad everywhere.
If the Gophers take an early lead or are ahead late, those athletes will get desperate and sometimes that can be enough to win. It also can cause mistakes. Will be an interesting one.

My keys to the game.
1. Don't allow big plays. Last year USC scored on a 53 yd pass play, a 56 yd run and Woods back breaker 97 yd KO return after the Gophers went ahead.

2. Take care of the ball.

3. Minimize penalties

4. No injuries to key players

5. Defense play well enough to keep the game close so we have a chance to get back into the game if we fall behind.

I am also looking for Lair to have a big game. The weakness of the Tampa 2 defense run by Monte Kiffin is the seam between the linebackers and the corners playing in deep zone. If Lair can get behind the linebackers and Gray can be accurate on the short throws, he should be able to rip off some nice gains and open up the running game as the drop the linebackers into coverage.

Top Bottom