A Dapper Punishment

DrunkDons

Reaction score
I am currently a student at the U and my roommate is in a marketing class with a few guys on the football team.
Today, they all showed up in suits and my roommate asked them, "What's the occasion?". They told him that one of their teammates got caught skipping a class on the St. Paul campus and Fleck punished the whole team by making them wear suits to class for the rest of the week. He also said that if one more person skips one more class, they have to wear them for the rest of the year.

Sharing this story because I found it interesting and I am glad Fleck is strict with his boys about their academics.
As we all know, academics are the main reason we even had a bowl game last season. Also found it a little funny seeing a bunch of guys walking around in suits today. As if they already didn't stick out enough on campus, they definitely will now.

My only issue with this is college me owned 2 suits. One was a hand me down that was too small and one from my mom’s funeral. Not exactly ready for a week of classes.

Hope the boys have deeper wardrobes than I did.

My only issue with this is college me owned 2 suits. One was a hand me down that was too small and one from my mom’s funeral. Not exactly ready for a week of classes.

Hope the boys have deeper wardrobes than I did.
I believe they’re required to dress up for events, gameday and such.

We had to do this when I was in 8th grade basketball. It drew a bunch of kids to join the team. We had tons of dudes sign up. A lot of the kids were from the projects, so this became a huge source of pride.
What city? Which projects?

As we all know, academics are the main reason we even had a bowl game last season.
It actually was because of APR which is a made up, arbitrary way to measure how many guys are graduating.

I am currently a student at the U and my roommate is in a marketing class with a few guys on the football team.
Today, they all showed up in suits and my roommate asked them, "What's the occasion?". They told him that one of their teammates got caught skipping a class on the St. Paul campus and Fleck punished the whole team by making them wear suits to class for the rest of the week. He also said that if one more person skips one more class, they have to wear them for the rest of the year.

Sharing this story because I found it interesting and I am glad Fleck is strict with his boys about their academics.
As we all know, academics are the main reason we even had a bowl game last season. Also found it a little funny seeing a bunch of guys walking around in suits today. As if they already didn't stick out enough on campus, they definitely will now.

This is great. Appreciate you sharing.

Go Gophers!!

There is a time when perhaps you punish the whole team, and a time not to. I don't think this was a time to punish the whole team base on the information that has just been said.

Pretty light as a punishment. The key here is that if only the player skipping class gets any discipline.....the message isn't made to the rest of the team. Fleck expects the guys on the team to keep one another accountable....and if one guy isn't doing his job....it cascades down to everyone else.

As long as you also teach them how to wear the suit and tie properly and also keep it clean and looking nice. Otherwise it is kind of a waste.

Pretty light as a punishment. The key here is that if only the player skipping class gets any discipline.....the message isn't made to the rest of the team. Fleck expects the guys on the team to keep one another accountable....and if one guy isn't doing his job....it cascades down to everyone else.
Agree it is a light "punishment".

And you do want players keeping each other accountable in positive ways ... the guys skipping classes wouldn't be surprised if some of his teammates knew. Now everyone knows what happens if they see someone skipping classes, maybe they tell them "Bro don't do this to me again..."

Last edited:

love this!

There is a time when perhaps you punish the whole team, and a time not to. I don't think this was a time to punish the whole team base on the information that has just been said.
I'm with ya here. If I was Brosmer I'd be back in the portal ASAP, same with any of the good talent we have.

Grown men being treated like children...and they tolerate it. Different generation I guess?

It's obvious the OP is getting paid by Fleck to share this since Fleck only does things to make himself look good and doesn't care about anyone else. Just another publicity stunt. What a snake.

I'm with ya here. If I was Brosmer I'd be back in the portal ASAP, same with any of the good talent we have.

Grown men being treated like children...and they tolerate it. Different generation I guess?
This post reminds me of the old "then vs now" comic where a parent asks their child:

"How did you treat your teacher today?"

and now was

"How did your teacher treat you today?"

Different generation indeed.

I'd take it one step further. Sue the whole university, the NCAA, PJ Fleck, Glen Mason, Eric Decker. Post it on tik tok for the world to see this injustice. Call KSTP, Kare 11, CNN. Spread the word.

Silly.
Academics are a game that most students understand how to play. I easily held a very strong GPA and missed class strategically based on the demands of the course.

Silly.
Academics are a game that most students understand how to play. I easily held a very strong GPA and missed class strategically based on the demands of the course.
I would guess you also didn't agree join a program that made it clear that you had to attend your classes every day?

I also missed classes, but I get that guys who joined the football team knew what was expected of them and I think they should do that thing.

PJ has people validating if they actually went to class in person or not (not an unusual thing for football programs), there is no mystery as to what is expected of them.

Last edited:

What city? Which projects?
Minneapolis. Wouldn’t know a complete answer, I didn’t live there. However, we were One of the primary ESL schools and a magnet. It was located in lower NE. That put us at probably drawing from a lot.

I did have a buddy I stayed overnight at various spots. There were some towers that were near north by where heritage park is now. They were razed 20 years ago. They had open sky bridges between them. He also lived in Riverside plaza. Those aren’t technically public, but that’s splitting heirs.

Top Bottom