$8M NIL Deal📈

Well said. It's odd to me that with all the money that has taken over sports this is what is pushing people over the edge and "ruining the game".
I think maybe it's because we've seen so much of this at the same time as the player movement. For me, I don't care if Ohio State's QB has a NIL deal or not. The portal is the bigger change (IMO) and even that won't be quite as crazy when the COVID years expire.

They say lottery money can change lives. NIL money will change the college game forever.

They say lottery money can change lives. NIL money will change the college game forever.
To play the devil's advocate:

which school(s) do you suddenly see as being national champion contenders because of NIL money, where before they were not?

I do think it's a huge change, in of itself, but I pessimistically don't ever see the national champion coming outside of the current "cabal" at the top.

You'd need a "P5 draft" or something to that effect -- 65 schools * 10 picks each = "top 650" players -- for there to be a significant breakthrough, in that sense. I think

Big deals like this if true will not win championships. It will create discontent and an unfavorable light on the institution. Most of it is BS.

To play the devil's advocate:

which school(s) do you suddenly see as being national champion contenders because of NIL money, where before they were not?

I do think it's a huge change, in of itself, but I pessimistically don't ever see the national champion coming outside of the current "cabal" at the top.

You'd need a "P5 draft" or something to that effect -- 65 schools * 10 picks each = "top 650" players -- for there to be a significant breakthrough, in that sense. I think
I'm not one of those who thinks NIL will totally upend the CFB landscape, but to answer your initial question, see Texas A&M's recruiting class that they just signed.

Per this snippet from the article, it appears NIL deals cannot specify that the player attend a specific school. At what point does a player sign a deal then go to another school than was intended?

"According to the report, the language in the contract cleverly sidesteps NCAA rules against pay for play by making no mention of a specific school. An NIL collective – a third-party pooling of booster funds that doesn't represent a university in any formal way – is behind the deal. But make no mistake: NIL collectives come draped in team colors; and athletes, like anyone else would, will go where the money is."

Per this snippet from the article, it appears NIL deals cannot specify that the player attend a specific school. At what point does a player sign a deal then go to another school than was intended?

"According to the report, the language in the contract cleverly sidesteps NCAA rules against pay for play by making no mention of a specific school. An NIL collective – a third-party pooling of booster funds that doesn't represent a university in any formal way – is behind the deal. But make no mistake: NIL collectives come draped in team colors; and athletes, like anyone else would, will go where the money is."
Quinn Ewers kind of did this, transferring from OSU this year.

The deal itself might not specify a specific school but you can bet it is made very clear to the player and the family what is expected.

that said, Ewers name came up, I wonder how much of the NIL money associated with OSU had to be forfeited when he transferred.

The deal itself might not specify a specific school but you can bet it is made very clear to the player and the family what is expected.

that said, Ewers name came up, I wonder how much of the NIL money associated with OSU had to be forfeited when he transferred.
I don't think the money can be associated with the school per the NCAA. Of course, we all know any NIL money tied to boosters would imply to the athlete that it is school based, but how could those boosters actually enforce that? We're bound to see some court cases spring out of this.

I don't think the money can be associated with the school per the NCAA.
I think the piece that's missing in your assessment is the timing of the agreements. For the vast majority of students, these NIL agreements won't be signed until after they have signed on with the school, even if they are negotiated (and maybe even reported) beforehand. The prohibition the NCAA thinks that it can enforce is for an NIL agreement as an inducement to attend a specific school ("pay to play"). So if I sign a student to a NIL deal that says "we'll pay you $10,000 to sign with the University of Minnesota," that would violate the NCAA guidance. But most NIL agreements won't be signed until after the student commits and are, in theory, therefore not an inducement to sign with a school because the student has already committed to the school before signing the NIL agreement. Of course that will often prove to be an artificial distinction as you suggest.

But the agreements themselves can be linked to athletic participation at a particular school. Example, if I own a restaurant in Maple Grove and sign a NIL deal with a Gopher student-athlete, that agreement can be limited to the time he or she is participating in a sport at the U. Payment can terminate if my endorser transfers, quits, gets expelled, etc., so the agreement is specifically and expressly associated with the school.

The Arch Mannings and Zion Willaimsons of the world who have significant marketability regardless of where they attend school are pretty rare. Most students will have to sign with a school before they can sign their NIL deals.

I'm not one of those who thinks NIL will totally upend the CFB landscape, but to answer your initial question, see Texas A&M's recruiting class that they just signed.
No doubt this is probably as good a chance as anyone, with how rich they are.

Have to get by Alabama, Georgia, etc. etc. Plus UT and OU coming in. Part of the "problem" for the SEC.

I don't think the money can be associated with the school per the NCAA. Of course, we all know any NIL money tied to boosters would imply to the athlete that it is school based, but how could those boosters actually enforce that? We're bound to see some court cases spring out of this.
If you think like a major shoe/national company/product endorsement deal for an NFL All-Pro ... the endorsement follows them around regardless which team they play for.

If it's a local thing to NYC, then if they leave the Giants for the Rams, would make sense to terminate the deal.

I think the piece that's missing in your assessment is the timing of the agreements. For the vast majority of students, these NIL agreements won't be signed until after they have signed on with the school, even if they are negotiated (and maybe even reported) beforehand. The prohibition the NCAA thinks that it can enforce is for an NIL agreement as an inducement to attend a specific school ("pay to play"). So if I sign a student to a NIL deal that says "we'll pay you $10,000 to sign with the University of Minnesota," that would violate the NCAA guidance. But most NIL agreements won't be signed until after the student commits and are, in theory, therefore not an inducement to sign with a school because the student has already committed to the school before signing the NIL agreement. Of course that will often prove to be an artificial distinction as you suggest.

But the agreements themselves can be linked to athletic participation at a particular school. Example, if I own a restaurant in Maple Grove and sign a NIL deal with a Gopher student-athlete, that agreement can be limited to the time he or she is participating in a sport at the U. Payment can terminate if my endorser transfers, quits, gets expelled, etc., so the agreement is specifically and expressly associated with the school.

The Arch Mannings and Zion Willaimsons of the world who have significant marketability regardless of where they attend school are pretty rare. Most students will have to sign with a school before they can sign their NIL deals.
How about if Adidas offers seven figures to the next super star high school prospect, but says he has to go to an "Adidas school"? That is not a specific school, but it is a more limited set.

How about if Adidas offers seven figures to the next super star high school prospect, but says he has to go to an "Adidas school"? That is not a specific school, but it is a more limited set.
I think the contract would be written to provide seven figures if he goes to an adidas school. It might be a gray area, but how likely is that the NCAA wants to get into a spat with adidas?

I guess I bring that up because they were (are?) supposedly guilty of trying to push basketball prospects to say Louisville under (the elder) Pitino.

I guess I bring that up because they were (are?) supposedly guilty of trying to push basketball prospects to say Louisville under (the elder) Pitino.
I agree that it's a real concern, but I think the NCAA has given up trying to do anything about it. At this point, it appears to me that they are just waiting for Congress to act or for the student-athletes to unionize so that they can try to collectively bargain some constraints.

Sounds like hot air.

Discount Double-check was rumored $2M endorsement deal, for a national figure.

Would love to see the contract. Why so coy? Hmm.

Once again, this game is sort of gross. At least institute a draft for top 300 players.
None of these big money NIL deals are actually being given to players to because they are adding monetary value to whomever is paying them. They’re payments to play masquerading as an “endorsement.”

None of these big money NIL deals are actually being given to players to because they are adding monetary value to whomever is paying them. They’re payments to play masquerading as an “endorsement.”
A lot of the NIL deals are purely endorsement type of deals, they are given to players with enormous social media followings and the they want to capitalize on their fame. Many of them are pretty run-of-the-mill standard endorsement deals. Even the old pay for play schemes were endorsements (kid gets money to sit at a used car lot and sell cars). It's a lot of clothing lines, online marketing, etc.

With the alleged massive ones, I'm not sure where those are coming from. I'd guess that it is someone trying to capitalize on their social media following. Logan and Jake Paul made millions of dollars purely from the social media followings, I think many of these NIL deals will be just like that (except the people have actual talent).

A lot of the NIL deals are purely endorsement type of deals, they are given to players with enormous social media followings and the they want to capitalize on their fame. Many of them are pretty run-of-the-mill standard endorsement deals. Even the old pay for play schemes were endorsements (kid gets money to sit at a used car lot and sell cars). It's a lot of clothing lines, online marketing, etc.

With the alleged massive ones, I'm not sure where those are coming from. I'd guess that it is someone trying to capitalize on their social media following. Logan and Jake Paul made millions of dollars purely from the social media followings, I think many of these NIL deals will be just like that (except the people have actual talent).
I get that they’re technically endorsement deals but how about these pools like the nonprofit that Texas started for their OL. Those players are being paid just to be there. They’re not getting 100k of marketing value in return.

I agree that the social media monetization is a completely different thing altogether. That’s actual marketing money that they’re not going to get if the payee isn’t getting marketing value back in return.

I get that they’re technically endorsement deals but how about these pools like the nonprofit that Texas started for their OL. Those players are being paid just to be there. They’re not getting 100k of marketing value in return.

I agree that the social media monetization is a completely different thing altogether. That’s actual marketing money that they’re not going to get if the payee isn’t getting marketing value back in return.
Oh yeah, I think those deals are also bringing a monetary return. A winning football team makes a lot of money.

As far as he social media monetization, sure. But that's extremely common outside the world of NCAA athletics. People with following (podcasts) pushing products. I am sure many of them are a cut of what they bring in ("don't forget to type promo code "RowtheBoat"") and I'm sure some are just contracts. But that's just endorsements/marketing 101. The only difference is NCAA athletes can also partake.

Oh yeah, I think those deals are also bringing a monetary return. A winning football team makes a lot of money.

As far as he social media monetization, sure. But that's extremely common outside the world of NCAA athletics. People with following (podcasts) pushing products. I am sure many of them are a cut of what they bring in ("don't forget to type promo code "RowtheBoat"") and I'm sure some are just contracts. But that's just endorsements/marketing 101. The only difference is NCAA athletes can also partake.
I don’t disagree that it brings in money. With the Texas deal it’s not bringing in money to the people that are paying it. It’s a sidestep to claim that it’s a traditional marketing deal.

I’m not even saying they should or shouldn’t be able to do it. My point is that in many cases this is being used by boosters to legally get money to players rather than the illegal ways they used to do it.

Bud Grant talked about getting a car from his college, and Sid talked about paying people in the 40's. I don't see much changing.
Years ago when I was at the U, a few of the very top athletes got some gifts but that is a mere pittance to the many thousands and even millions some are getting today. Its night and day. Still, then as now, the money will flow to a chosen few while the 3rd and 4th team football lineman, for example, will get zilch.

Years ago when I was at the U, a few of the very top athletes got some gifts but that is a mere pittance to the many thousands and even millions some are getting today. Its night and day. Still, then as now, the money will flow to a chosen few while the 3rd and 4th team football lineman, for example, will get zilch.
unless you play for texas, where all the scholarship lineman get 50k. there will be some good things with players earning potential extra income at bigger programs, but F it's going to make it near impossible for teams like MN, NW, Indiana (and possibly even Iowa and WI) contend in the B10 versus teams who will clearly have NIL/bag money (just to call it what it is) to throw around

unless you play for texas, where all the scholarship lineman get 50k. there will be some good things with players earning potential extra income at bigger programs, but F it's going to make it near impossible for teams like MN, NW, Indiana (and possibly even Iowa and WI) contend in the B10 versus teams who will clearly have NIL/bag money (just to call it what it is) to throw around
So you're saying our days of competing with Ohio State for recruits are over?

So you're saying our days of competing with Ohio State for recruits are over?
I see what you're saying, but let's leave OSU out of it. Bad comparison.
Let's say a Nebraska (who we've been on relatively even ground with for recruiting lately) all of a sudden can pay their players more than us, then yes it will be tougher to recruit against them. That's just one example, but there could be other schools that we're currently approximately "even" with in recruiting and if we're paying half or 1/4 the going rate then we may lose out on some recruits.

We'll need to be paying our players above average for the Big Ten to in order to be competitive recruiting. At this point I don't know if we can pull that off.

Let's say a Nebraska (who we've been on relatively even ground with for recruiting lately) all of a sudden can pay their players more than us, then yes it will be tougher to recruit against them. That's just one example, but there could be other schools that we're currently approximately "even" with in recruiting and if we're paying half or 1/4 the going rate then we may lose out on some recruits.

We'll need to be paying our players above average for the Big Ten to in order to be competitive recruiting. At this point I don't know if we can pull that off.
It's a fair concern, and your points are totally valid. I think none of us knows how this will all look when the dust settles. I do think it will be a small number of kids getting these massive deals, but there may be a 3 star who chooses Nebraska over us if he thinks he can earn an additional $10k or so. My uneducated guess is that this will impact things less than people think, but I can't honestly say that I know the answer.

I always took a passing interest in most sports. I like to watch the Twins and watch the Vikings when I am not outdoors in the fall. Other sports too but not seriously. However, I have always been passionate about Gopher football. Since I was a young boy. That is over 50 years.

Now with all this pay to play stuff going on it just isn't the same. It is no different than any professional sports that don't have a cap limit. It may take a few years but NIL has ruined college football ... at least for me.
It's worse than pro. At least in pro there are contracts for players to stay for a specified time. With the transfer portal and NIL I think we'll see fan loyalty waning rapidly.

This. Add in the bumper crop of teams in the SEC and that’s really the spot where you’re going to lose the guys we’re recruiting to (coupled with the potential to
Lose guys in the portal as there’s nothing prohibiting a booster from school X to actively recruit your star qb to leave). I don’t think anyone who’s worried about how this plays out is saying it’s about the Bama, OSU, Clemson types. It’s the bumper crop of who will dump money in the arms race chase to move up which could sway competitive balance entirely

I see that Penn State has the “Success with Honor”, Illinois has the “ Illini Guardians”, Indiana has the “ Hoosier Hysteries” and Maryland has “ Turtle NIL” as organized fund groups to help raise funds for their athletes. does/will the Gophers create such a group?

I see that Penn State has the “Success with Honor”, Illinois has the “ Illini Guardians”, Indiana has the “ Hoosier Hysteries” and Maryland has “ Turtle NIL” as organized fund groups to help raise funds for their athletes. does/will the Gophers create such a group?
"PJ Payments"?

Top Bottom