$8M NIL DealšŸ“ˆ

It wouldnā€™t be a surprise if some players with hefty NIL deals decide to go to college for six years under the guise of grad school. Why not, if some entity is going to provide hefty money to win a championship. Will amateur student-athletes be in name only? Maybe for certain P5 schools with boosters with deep pockets.

It wouldnā€™t be a surprise if some players with hefty NIL deals decide to go to college for six years under the guise of grad school. Why not, if some entity is going to provide hefty money to win a championship. Will amateur student-athletes be in name only? Maybe for certain P5 schools with boosters with deep pockets.
I mean the grad school doesn't have to be a "guise" they can pursue education and make money at the same time. That said, those will be rare cases because most guys earning big dollars will have NFL aspirations.

How about if Adidas offers seven figures to the next super star high school prospect, but says he has to go to an "Adidas school"? That is not a specific school, but it is

How about if Adidas offers seven figures to the next super star high school prospect, but says he has to go to an "Adidas school"? That is not a specific school, but it is a more limited set.

Its over. College football - i loved it so much- is over. Sniff, sniff.

I will also be so sad when the Era of Alabama winning the national championship every other year is over.

Last edited:

Re: the fan donation NIL collectives what is the mechanism? Entity collects donations and offers them to recruits or current players to keep them from jumping ship. Do these NIL deals need to have a ā€œmarket valueā€ attached or is this essentially outright bribery.

IMO with rapid collapse in support for the amateurism model, coming increased disparities in compensation between sports, between schools, and probably gender, transfer portal inducements and tampering and chaos there will be renewed pushes for unionization, pay for play, directly from conferences and schools with all the attendant fallout. Perhaps revenue sharing, breakout of certain schools and leagues, pro-competition measures familiar to pro sports fans. Justice Kavanaugh has signaled he and presumedly others would be willing to redefine the definition of employee which will transform college sports in ways we probably cannot predict.

I can't possibly see fans at top schools taking step change extremist positions of cancelling their season tickets and refusing to watch another game, because players get paid.

You don't care if the players are even students.

You watch the team because it has the name and logo of your school on the uniform and helmet, and you want it to beat the other teams that have names/logos of other schools on their uniforms and helmets.

Top Bottom