85 per year Scholarships

MaxyJR1

Reaction score

By "NCAA", do you mean the presidents of the SEC?

I mean seriously, wasn't this put in place to solve the problem of SEC schools signing like 30+ high school students and then not having room for them all, having them grey shirt or whatever?

I knew my interest in college football was fading, but I thought I'd at least make it another season or two before tuning out completely. Now I'm not so sure I'll even care come the end of the year.

They must really want to crack down on schools moving from FCS to FBS. Looks like NDSU missed their window.

In addition to shortening the transfer portal window, the Division I Council also rubber-stamped the following changes:

-- Attendance requirements to achieve or maintain FBS membership have been eliminated, effective immediately.

-- Related to that, the application fee to transition from FCS to FBS has increased from $5,000 to $5 million, also effective immediately.

-- All FBS programs are required to provide at least 90 percent of available scholarships across 16 sports, including football. Additionally, FBS teams must fund 210 scholarships per year, totaling no less than $6 million. (That's effective 2027.)

I'll be monitoring bisonville.com, because I expect a meltdown.

By "NCAA", do you mean the presidents of the SEC?

I mean seriously, wasn't this put in place to solve the problem of SEC schools signing like 30+ high school students and then not having room for them all, having them grey shirt or whatever?

I knew my interest in college football was fading, but I thought I'd at least make it another season or two before tuning out completely. Now I'm not so sure I'll even care come the end of the year.
It was for SEC teams and then loosened during COVID and now permanent.

My understanding is that the chief barrier to any Dakota school moving up to FBS has been that you must have an invitation from an existing FBS conference.

Semi-recently, Liberty U challenged this and was allowed to move to FBS as an independent.

But I think at least at NDSU their leadership have always used that as an excuse of not being able to do it.

If PAC raids MWC and then MWC looks to cobble together a path forward, then maybe MonDak schools have a way.

They must really want to crack down on schools moving from FCS to FBS. Looks like NDSU missed their window.

In addition to shortening the transfer portal window, the Division I Council also rubber-stamped the following changes:

-- Attendance requirements to achieve or maintain FBS membership have been eliminated, effective immediately.

-- Related to that, the application fee to transition from FCS to FBS has increased from $5,000 to $5 million, also effective immediately.

-- All FBS programs are required to provide at least 90 percent of available scholarships across 16 sports, including football. Additionally, FBS teams must fund 210 scholarships per year, totaling no less than $6 million. (That's effective 2027.)
Show the $$ and they don't care how big your school is. As UpandUnder says. Pay $5M and St. Thomas can look to move up quickly.

Show the $$ and they don't care how big your school is. As UpandUnder says. Pay $5M and St. Thomas can look to move up quickly.
It's not just the $5m, though that will matter for some programs. It's the funding of other scholarships and requiring 16 sports.

All FBS programs are required to provide at least 90 percent of available scholarships across 16 sports, including football. Additionally, FBS teams must fund 210 scholarships per year, totaling no less than $6 million. (That's effective 2027.)

It's not just the $5m, though that will matter for some programs. It's the funding of other scholarships and requiring 16 sports.

All FBS programs are required to provide at least 90 percent of available scholarships across 16 sports, including football. Additionally, FBS teams must fund 210 scholarships per year, totaling no less than $6 million. (That's effective 2027.)
These all seems to be a way to level the playing field. Then NIL went and messed it all up.

I'll be interested to see if any schools start to move to stop the guaranteeing of 4 year scholarships or how this interplays with NIL.

Wow. Letting St Thomas go full D1 overnight!
I'm not very bright. Can you explain this to me? How/why does this affect St. THOMAS?

I'm not very bright. Can you explain this to me? How/why does this affect St. THOMAS?

Everything is about St Thomas.

But actually they could go full scholarship and add 85 guys (varying ages/eligibility) immediately.

Meaning, if they wanted to go from FCS to FBS?
They'd have to find a conference or be approved as an independent. The Pioneer League is specifically an FCS conference for D1 schools that don't want to fund scholarship football.

Indeed but they still can't play in the playoffs until their five years are up.
I think that the five year thing is stupid. JMU is one of the best teams in the G5 right now, and they're still prohibited from a bowl game for another year because of "a transition period" from FCS to FBS.

That's dumb.

Meaning, if they wanted to go from FCS to FBS?

St Thomas doesn’t give football scholarships. Under the previous rules they could only give 25 in year 1 making the transition tougher. Now they could give 85 making the transition to scholarship football easier.

While UU43 is 100% correct, just for full clarity the rule was that FBS teams could only have 25 new players on scholarship each fall who were not the previous fall, no matter where they came from.

I believe they got rid of that for covid and then kept extending it because coaches wanted it so badly, so they finally just gave up.

Even though the rule was correct and clearly needed. What Prime did was pathetic.

Aren’t first year coaches the only ones that are allowed to cut players though? I know coaches pull BS like Harbaugh and medically retire players like St Juste and such, but if someone pulled a Deion and turned over the whole roster, wouldn’t they have some explaining to do?

Yeah, it is unfortunate. I would like to see NDSU FBS. I know they are hated on this site, but I would love to have another FBS team in the region. Wouldn't be good for the Gophers but would be good for the football fan.

Similar until I can't wait until St. Thomas eventually moves to the Big East (nothing official, I would just be shocked if it didn't happen) and would love to have another option to watch basketball games.

While UU43 is 100% correct, just for full clarity the rule was that FBS teams could only have 25 new players on scholarship each fall who were not the previous fall, no matter where they came from.

I believe they got rid of that for covid and then kept extending it because coaches wanted it so badly, so they finally just gave up.

Even though the rule was correct and clearly needed. What Prime did was pathetic.
I hink the NCAA has been looking at which of their rules will and will not hold up if challenged in court, and if they think something won't, they'll get rid of it rather than litigate.

They're so toothless now that if UND wanted to change their name back to Fighting Sioux, they probably could.

Yeah, it is unfortunate. I would like to see NDSU FBS. I know they are hated on this site, but I would love to have another FBS team in the region. Wouldn't be good for the Gophers but would be good for the football fan.
I think a big hurdle will the the school having to fully fund (correction - 90%) scholarships for 16 sports including the full 85 for football. That and the BoE controls both NDSU and UND and there are UND supporters that wouldn't be cool with that considering UND had to cut sports a few years ago for money reasons.

The 90% floor is just for the 85 of football, if I’m not mistaken.

They have a department wide total equivalency floor as well, now being increased to 210 but it was something before as well. Also believe the 16 sport minimum was there before too. (And there is a minimum number of team sports embedded in that, for both men’s and women’s.)

I believe they would have to add a couple women’s sports to make it to 16.
EDIT: actually they’re at 16 now, with six running, two golf, wrestling, then seven team sports.
You’re allowed to count cross-country, indoor track, and outdoor track as six separate sports over men’s women’s.

St Thomas doesn’t give football scholarships. Under the previous rules they could only give 25 in year 1 making the transition tougher. Now they could give 85 making the transition to scholarship football easier.
So kids who go to ndsu are not on scholarship?

So kids who go to ndsu are not on scholarship?
What? No--they have scholarship football. St Thomas does not.

St Thomas football plays in the Pioneer League (which does not have scholarships). NDSU is in the Missouri Valley which allows (and likely requires) scholarships.

What? No--they have scholarship football. St Thomas does not.

St Thomas football plays in the Pioneer League (which does not have scholarships). NDSU is in the Missouri Valley which allows (and likely requires) scholarships.
Okay thx. I was thinking that because both were FCS, they did things the same. As I told you, I'm not that smart. This is too complicated. I'll leave you alone! :).

Okay thx. I was thinking that because both were FCS, they did things the same. As I told you, I'm not that smart. This is too complicated. I'll leave you alone! :).
The FBS-FCS designation is only football related.
Both NDSU and UST play their other sports in the Summit League, which is a D1 conference like any other - sends a representative to March Madness etc.

^^ true, but the NCAA has three different sets of minimum requirements that a school has to meet to be in DI, depending on if they have no football team, are FCS, or are FBS. They get progressively more difficult (expensive) to meet.

Top Bottom