Iowa- W
Northwestern- W
Wisconsin- L
Purdue- W
Michigan- L
Illinois- W
Nebraska- L
Michigan State- L

There it is. Bad recruiting news, no respect at media days, I don't care. This is my irrational fan post for the month and I'm sticking to it.

UNLV- W
UNH- W
WMich- W
Syracuse- W
Iowa- W
Northwestern- W
Wisconsin- L
Purdue- W
Michigan- L
Illinois- W
Nebraska- L
Michigan State- L

There it is. Bad recruiting news, no respect at media days, I don't care. This is my irrational fan post for the month and I'm sticking to it.

Damn, I wish you would have prefaced your post with "Spoiler Alert". Guess I've still got NFL to watch this fall...

If the Gophers play without self inflicted errors, and all players meet or exceed expectations, the scenario is possible. It's a lot to expect to happen but it wouldn't be a total shock.

I would be shocked, because I've already predicted a maximum of 7 wins and I'm never wrong.

But 8 would be awesome!

We will get spanked by a couple of the W listed above. 4-5 wins. Call me crazy. I don't think we will move up the B!G ladder, but we will regain our feet in the NC schedule.

We will get spanked by a couple of the W listed above. 4-5 wins. Call me crazy. I don't think we will move up the B!G ladder, but we will regain our feet in the NC schedule.

This is about my feeling as well. I just hope to hell we can beat UNLV and UNH this year...no more NMSU and NDSU games. That will be a good step forward.

I'll be happy with 5 wins with one of them being a trophy or 6 wins with no trophy. Plus I think it's important that we have no blowout losses.

Shortly after he was hired, I seem to remember Kill talking about the progress he expects when taking over a new team. It was something like in the first year you will probably have some bad losses. In the second year, you hope to be more competetive in the losses. And in the third year you expect to win the close ones. I hope that is exactly what we see.

If the gophers were to go 8-4 I would be as shocked as I would be happy.

Shoot for the moon, and hope to hit the lamp post. By the end of the season last year, you saw glimpses of Coach Kill coached teams. They stayed close, gave nothing away, and made big plays late. The team showed the ability to get a stop at key times. They began to get pressure on the QB. They began to understand how to play the game. And when I say that it has nothing to do with skill set more about mind set.

10 wins with an upset over Becky. AND win the bowl game too!! Go Gophers!!

NEED vs. WANT.

I think the Gophs NEED to win at least 5 games this year to show progress. I WANT them to win at least 6 games to become bowl-eligible. (And in my wildest dreams, if they could get to 7 wins, I would be thrilled - as long as one of the wins is over IA or WI.) If they go 7-5 in the regular season, and win a bowl game to go 8-5, it will be a very happy new year.

If you got a free first down for every question that was asked, I'd be concerned. But there is ample reason to think the 2012 team will be better than the 2011 team. As the season progressed, some key statistics improves:

Team, sacks for, sacks against, penalties
USC, 0, 4, 8
NMSU, 0, 1, 6
Miami, 1, 1, 4
NDSU, 0, 5, 8
Michigan, 1, 3, 9
Purdue, 3, 1, 6
Nebraska, 0, 0, 5
Iowa, 3, 0, 4
MSU, 2, 2, 8
Wisconsin, 2, 1, 3
Northwestern, 2, 2, 5
Illinois, 5, 2, 2

As the season progressed, the team improved. The defense got at the opposing QBs, the O-line protected our QB, and the team committed less penalties. The Gophers will probably have some rust to shake off, but they will know the system, and should begin much more like the end of last year than like the beginning. There are no guarantees, of course, I'm anxious to see against UNLV if we get to see the improvement I expect. I'm not expecting miracles, but improvement.

I'll be happy with 5 wins with one of them being a trophy or 6 wins with no trophy. Plus I think it's important that we have no blowout losses.

Shortly after he was hired, I seem to remember Kill talking about the progress he expects when taking over a new team. It was something like in the first year you will probably have some bad losses. In the second year, you hope to be more competetive in the losses. And in the third year you expect to win the close ones. I hope that is exactly what we see.

Kill may have said it as well, but that sounds like paraphrasing of Brewster. I laughed when I read about Bielema's thoughts on assistants. they were Brewster's words almost verbatim. Brewster had vision, he just didn't succeed in the practicals.

With that said, Kill is our coach now and a darn good one. I hope our program will catch some breaks and that Kill will be given time to position the team to take advantage of possible breaks and/ or the skill and drive to create their own..

Back to the OP I think 8 is possible, but it will take a number of things bouncing just right for it to happen. As posted by others, 4 to 7 is more likely.

If by will win 8 you mean it wouldnt be a major upset to win any of tyose 8, then yes.
If you win those 8 you are probably good enough to upset someone else and win 9.

I see them winning 4 maybe 5 games. And i would guess all the wins would be against those 8 teams.

We can and should start out at least 3-0. Riding that wave, I think we can beat Syracuse at home under the lights. @Iowa? That will be a tough one. I pretty much agree with you except for the Iowa game. I think we win 7 and lose the bowl game for 7-6

Kill may have said it as well, but that sounds like paraphrasing of Brewster. I laughed when I read about Bielema's thoughts on assistants. they were Brewster's words almost verbatim. Brewster had vision, he just didn't succeed in the practicals.

With that said, Kill is our coach now and a darn good one. I hope our program will catch some breaks and that Kill will be given time to position the team to take advantage of possible breaks and/ or the skill and drive to create their own..

Back to the OP I think 8 is possible, but it will take a number of things bouncing just right for it to happen. As posted by others, 4 to 7 is more likely.

I'm a dreamer, but I told my crew at the end of last year 8 wins as well, but had them losing to Iowa at Iowa and beating Michigan at home in a tear the goal posts down and haul down U Ave upset of the century. For some odd reason, I see us beating one of the two Michigan teams, and if we beat maize and blue at home, we can beat sparty.

The gophs will be favored in only 2 games this year. I think they'll win 2 or 3 games. Please feel free to remind me of this prediction at the end of the season cuz I would like to be wrong.

Minn 29 UNLV 20
Minn 32 New Hampshire 27
W. Michigan 21 Minn 20
Minn 23 Syracuse 19
Iowa 30 Minn 16
Minn 27 Northwestern 22
Wisconsin 38 Minn 16
Minn 26 Purdue 22
Michigan 43 Minn 15
Minn 19 Illinois 17
Nebraska 37 Minn 26
Mich St 31 Minn 22

There it is. 6-6 with a small bowl trip.

Top Bottom