7 National Championships for Gopher Football

Alabama claims 14. Most of those are shared or from other obscure poll to pump up the number.

Good job. I'm sure you are proud of those titles as well. I wonder how well your boxing program is doing now days?

Well, at least it went out on top!

I really can't stand boxing, but my parents (87 years old) told us that when they were in college, they would often go on dates to see boxing matches at the Field House. It was supposedly a wild scene. My brother said "Mom, I didn't know you liked boxing!" to which she replied "I didn't. But I liked your father."

Some things don't change that much.

throckmorton will be dropping by to remind us of his pton tigers.

You can call me Archie.

I am not recognizing your 7th championship. I am, however, accepting the 1950 championship on behalf of Princeton, giving us 27.

Best of luck in your bowl game.

I really can't stand boxing, but my parents (87 years old) told us that when they were in college, they would often go on dates to see boxing matches at the Field House. It was supposedly a wild scene. My brother said "Mom, I didn't know you liked boxing!" to which she replied "I didn't. But I liked your father."

Army and Navy still have college boxing. I think it would be awesome to have college boxing, but the allure to go pro is too great.

You can call me Archie.

I am not recognizing your 7th championship. I am, however, accepting the 1950 championship on behalf of Princeton, giving us 27.

Best of luck in your bowl game.

I honestly don't see the problem in claiming the 7th Nat. Championship. We are rightly due it. I mentioned it to a few of the folks in the athletic dept at the Kill Date Night and figured they may change it. A prof friend of mine did a statistical analysis of the Gophers strength of schedule going back to the 20s putting together a number of factors. He's the one who pointed out the 1904 lack of championship. We were undefeated as were I believe two other teams (including Michigan although we had a tougher schedule and more impressive margins of victory). Standardized nat championships didn't come around till much later. It doesn't mean we don't deserve it because we are claiming it so late. That's almost slander towards the 1904 team. If you don't want to recognize our championship, don't, but it still exist. It appears that people also forget that college football was a much different game back then. Just because we were ridiculously dominant, doesn't mean our team was any less.

Gopherdroppings
www.gopherjerseys.com

I honestly don't see the problem in claiming the 7th Nat. Championship. We are rightly due it. I mentioned it to a few of the folks in the athletic dept at the Kill Date Night and figured they may change it. A prof friend of mine did a statistical analysis of the Gophers strength of schedule going back to the 20s putting together a number of factors. He's the one who pointed out the 1904 lack of championship. We were undefeated as were I believe two other teams (including Michigan although we had a tougher schedule and more impressive margins of victory). Standardized nat championships didn't come around till much later. It doesn't mean we don't deserve it because we are claiming it so late. That's almost slander towards the 1904 team. If you don't want to recognize our championship, don't, but it still exist. It appears that people also forget that college football was a much different game back then. Just because we were ridiculously dominant, doesn't mean our team was any less.

Gopherdroppings
www.gopherjerseys.com

I apologize profusely. I had no idea that your "friend" did some "statistical analysis" using a "number of factors". That obviously changes everything. I now recognize your 1904 championship.

Unfortunately, a friend of mine did some statistical analysis using even more and better numbers of factors and he found that the 1960 championship belongs to undefeated Mississippi. So you're still at six overall.

Best,
Archie

I apologize profusely. I had no idea that your "friend" did some "statistical analysis" using a "number of factors". That obviously changes everything. I now recognize your 1904 championship.

Unfortunately, a friend of mine did some statistical analysis using even more and better numbers of factors and he found that the 1960 championship belongs to undefeated Mississippi. So you're still at six overall.

Best,
Archie

And, some of my friends at IBM noted that the Commodore 64 you were using hadn't been plugged in yet. You were reading the Post It note. How do I know that? Multiphoton Spectroscopy from a drone test platform, downlinking to my brand new IBM Sequoia! Whrooo ha ha ha haaaaaa aaaaaaaagh!

WI boxing ended when the boxer was killed in the ring. sad day.

Best,
Archie

If your friend (you have friends?) wishes to award a national championship, he's free to do so. Unfortunately, he can only grant a national championship, not take one away. The University of Minnesota has the 1960 AP Championship, nothing your hypothetical friend could do could change this. There are multiple organizations who awarded national championships, for 1904, they are divided among three teams, Michigan, Minnesota and Penn. Ole Miss DOES claim the 1960 National Championship. One of those sources they base this on? The Billingsley Report, the same one that gives Minnesota the 1904 championship. The Billingsley report might be a slightly weak claim, but other schools will claim such a championship, why shouldn't Minnesota. And regardless of the strength of the claim, it's certainly not some guy's friend giving out a championship.

Best,
Archie

If you don't have anything positive information to contribute, you should not be here. It is a place for Gopher football fans. It is not a Princeton forum, yet you are acting like it is a place to come and show your pretentious attitude. We're not here to talk about your Tiger, we are here to talk about Gopher. It should be crystal clear to you as well. You're perfectly fine with your derogatory comments on the U football history. However, you're acting like it is the end of the Princeton football world when other persons do the same. Self-proclaimed old school guy is acting like a teenager. It's a pity you couldn't see it as you're full of yourself.

If you don't have anything positive information to contribute, you should not be here. It is a place for Gopher football fans. It is not a Princeton forum, yet you are acting like it is a place to come and show your pretentious attitude. We're not here to talk about your Tiger, we are here to talk about Gopher. It should be crystal clear to you as well. You're perfectly fine with your derogatory comments on the U football history. However, you're acting like it is the end of the Princeton football world when other persons do the same. Self-proclaimed old school guy is acting like a teenager. It's a pity you couldn't see it as you're full of yourself.

Does anyone understand parody? Go Tigers!

Fair enough.

I didn't like boxing until Mike Tyson. And haven't since Mike. MMA is far more entertaining, IMO.

If your friend (you have friends?) wishes to award a national championship, he's free to do so. Unfortunately, he can only grant a national championship, not take one away. The University of Minnesota has the 1960 AP Championship, nothing your hypothetical friend could do could change this. There are multiple organizations who awarded national championships, for 1904, they are divided among three teams, Michigan, Minnesota and Penn. Ole Miss DOES claim the 1960 National Championship. One of those sources they base this on? The Billingsley Report, the same one that gives Minnesota the 1904 championship. The Billingsley report might be a slightly weak claim, but other schools will claim such a championship, why shouldn't Minnesota. And regardless of the strength of the claim, it's certainly not some guy's friend giving out a championship.

I'm afraid we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. I came here to defend your school's proud tradition against those upstart programs that think that national championships don't count just because they happened long, long ago*. Programs such as ours with rich, venerable traditions are few in number, and we should stick together. My pointing out, on occasion, that Princeton has a few (dozen) more championships than Minnesota is not meant to be a slight in any way. You have a very good, nay, great, program. It's just that Princeton's is better. No affront intended. Regarding the 1960 "championship" please allow me to reiterate that my friend did use a very large number of factors (I don't know if you missed that in my original post), so unfortunately the analysis -- and the revocation of the championship -- stands, I'm afraid.

* In fact, it occurs to me now, that Minnesota's "recent" troubles may be due to the fact that they've gotten away from what made them successful - single-platoon football and leather helmets. Perhaps "kicking it old-school", as the kids like to say, would help revive the glory days.

Regarding the 1960 "championship" please allow me to reiterate that my friend did use a very large number of factors (I don't know if you missed that in my original post), so unfortunately the analysis -- and the revocation of the championship -- stands, I'm afraid.

Your friend can't revoke the 1960 AP Championship.

i'm pretty sure that AMT III is sir tipsey who is kelly leeks who is some guy who drank five of our beers in fifteen minutes at a tailgate before the usc game in 2010.

i'm pretty sure that AMT III is sir tipsey who is kelly leeks who is some guy who drank five of our beers in fifteen minutes at a tailgate before the usc game in 2010.

Uhm. No. He is a badger fan who clearly thinks he is too clever by half. Stop feeding this troll.

I believe we also won two 'Premo and Helms" (or something) National Championships in basketball around the same time. Why don't we claim those?

Sorry, I am neither of those other gentlemen, but I would like to meet this Sir Tipsey chap, as my maternal grandfather was an Earl, and I am always interested in socializing with other folks of a similar social station who share titles of nobility. Maybe we can also invite MarQueis Gray, although based on the "unique" spelling, my guess is that his title may not have been granted in the usual manner.

I believe we also won two 'Premo and Helms" (or something) National Championships in basketball around the same time. Why don't we claim those?

Yes, we have three of those: 1902, 1903, and 1919. The reason we don't claim those probably has something to do with it being before the existence of the NCAA tournament. Some Indiana fans were talking on an ESPN board awhile back about how they have as many basketball national titles as the rest of the conference combined, and I pointed out that the Gophers had three of these Helms titles, and they basically told me that Helms titles are kinda bull and don't really count for anything, which I think is because it was before the NCAA tournament.

Sorry, I am neither of those other gentlemen, but I would like to meet this Sir Tipsey chap, as my maternal grandfather was an Earl, and I am always interested in socializing with other folks of a similar social station who share titles of nobility. Maybe we can also invite MarQueis Gray, although based on the "unique" spelling, my guess is that his title may not have been granted in the usual manner.

Thurston Howell III spending some time with the Commoners!

thumbnailCA3RTTWD.jpg

Uhm. No. He is a badger fan who clearly thinks he is too clever by half. Stop feeding this troll.

I for one think it's actually pretty funny when he posts.
We should be able to laugh at ourselves every once in awhile, doesn't make our national titles mean any more or less, but I think "Archie" is just here for good fun.

So has this newly found mythical championship been added to the edge of the 2nd deck of the stadium like the others?

So has this newly found mythical championship been added to the edge of the 2nd deck of the stadium like the others?

I'm not sure, but I was kind of thinking that should be the barometer of whether it is "counted" or not. It can be put up anywhere else, but unless it makes the stadium it doesn't seem official.

I'm not sure when it was granted, but this Billingsley Report 1904 championship wasn't just recently granted. I remember looking up an article on college football championships a few years ago, and I was surprised to see a NC that the U didn't claim.

One football historian (forget his name) wrote that Minnesota "has as good an argument as any" for a championship that year, but the NCAA recognizes Penn. "Selectors" (themselves self-selected) often back date their lists of champions, so maybe someone did that. Michigan claims a bunch of these pre-1920 "championships" - no reason we shouldn't - in the same spirit of self-promotion.

Top Bottom