#7 at safety is a failed experiment....

Texan Gopher

Reaction score
I just realized after watching highlights, #7 is the cause of many of the big plays we have given up in the passing game. Is he really the best we can put out there ?

#20 plays well. #5 plays well. #27 is our best player in the secondary but he is a huge reason we have up 2 TDs, but he had an INT and some good pass break ups.

#7 flat out sucks. Wrong initial reads and zero quickness to get back into the correct position. He is an FCS safety IMHO

Last edited:

Thank you.

100% correct.

It's just fine to go ahead and name him: Gousby. He's who everyone remembers for giving up two massive TD's against North Carolina (granted, he did a very nice job of running back on the first one and almost blocked it).

But he is 100% at fault for the last TD yesterday.

Nubin wouldn't say it. He wouldn't throw his teammate under the bus. But it was not Nubin's fault. It was Gousby's fault.

Yeah, let's put Gousby back there. Not the MVP of the bowl game. Good call!

4:32 here:

The WR starts on the right side, and Gousby (#7) is deep on that side. I mean, G-D ... it looks like he just stops running ... stops caring .... just gives up. WTF??

I just realized after watching highlights, #7 is the cause of many of the big plays we have given up in the passing game. Is he really the best we can put out there ?

#20 plays well. #5 plays well. #27 is our best player in the secondary but he is a huge reason we have up 2 TDs, but he had an INT and some good pass break ups.

#7 flat out sucks. Wrong initial reads and zero quickness to get back into the correct position. He is an FCS safety IMHO
I’m not going to write him off because youth and inexperience can make talented players look really bad, but yeah not sure why he is in the game at that moment.

Green (#12) is who is usually back there next to Nubin, but they had him playing coverage Nickle. You can see him in that play, playing up on a slot receiver.

Williams ran a great route and he’s fast. We were playing zone with 2 safeties deep. All players were watching their zones. Cody Lindenberg started to cover Williams in his zone and quickly Williams zoomed passed Cody’s zone, then it’s the 2 safeties, Nubin and Gousby, responsibilities. It’s neither Nubin or Gousby s fault, Williams was simply just too fast and split his route between both of our safeties and neither of them could close their gap soon enough.

BTW, Gousby is a freshman so definitely he’s not as experienced but this busted play was not his fault.

Great pass by the backup 5th year transfer and a great determined route by Williams.

Looking back, the only way we could’ve disrupted this last play was we were playing Man-to-Man with Cody checked Williams at the line to delay his route and then someone defended Williams one-on-one.

Our D’s mentality was too cocky to play zone. Williams was their best receiver and coming into this game Williams was known to be their best receiver, how we ignored him as if his a normal dude, I have no clue.

Their entire last drive (3 plays), our D just went through the motions and Rossi did not place an emphasis on their most dynamic receiver.

Watch the highlight video again, pause it and run it back and forth, you’ll see Williams just ran past everyone like a ghost, like a hot knife through butter. By the time we paid him any attention, it was too late, he’s already beyond Nubin and Gousby.

Nonsense. I don't buy for a second that this play isn't mostly on Gousby. You can see in the video of the play right after the ball is thrown and the camera catches up to them that Gousby took a terrible angle directly towards the WR when he realized it was his guy to cover. Never had a chance.

Sure, he's a freshman.

That's on Fleck for putting him back there.

Williams ran a great route and he’s fast. We were playing zone with 2 safeties deep. All players were watching their zones. Cody Lindenberg started to cover Williams in his zone and quickly Williams zoomed passed Cody’s zone, then it’s the 2 safeties, Nubin and Gousby, responsibilities. It’s neither Nubin or Gousby s fault, Williams was simply just too fast and split his route between both of our safeties and neither of them could close their gap soon enough.

BTW, Gousby is a freshman so definitely he’s not as experienced but this busted play was not his fault.

Great pass by the backup 5th year transfer and a great determined route by Williams.

Looking back, the only way we could’ve disrupted this last play was we were playing Man-to-Man with Cody checked Williams at the line to delay his route and then someone defended Williams one-on-one.

Our D’s mentality was too cocky to play zone. Williams was their best receiver and coming into this game Williams was known to be their best receiver, how we ignored him as if his a normal dude, I have no clue.

Their entire last drive (3 plays), our D just went through the motions and Rossi did not place an emphasis on their most dynamic receiver.

Watch the highlight video again, pause it and run it back and forth, you’ll see Williams just ran past everyone like a ghost, like a hot knife through butter. By the time we paid him any attention, it was too late, he’s already beyond Nubin and Gousby.
Seeing this summa is what drive me nuts about Fleck. The Freshman WR would never see the field under fleck and would never be running free like that. Our passing game is that bad

You can't stop moving or quit on a play. # 7 Gousby stopped moving and got caught flat footed. Williams is fast but no excuse for Gousby to not be deeper on this play. Everyone knows# 1 Is fast and was likely to get the ball on this play. You cannot blame being a freshman on A not knowing where to be and B making no effort to recover, or stopping, being stuck not moving on a play. Nubin wasn't fast enough to close, # 7 Gousby crapped his pants and quit seeing what was in front of his face on this play. He did the same thing on the first TD by Illinois, ran to his zone and quit on the play figuring he did his job. That kid has to be more instinctive, and start watching more film. Howden got better, I sure hope this guy can.

Nonsense. I don't buy for a second that this play isn't mostly on Gousby. You can see in the video of the play right after the ball is thrown and the camera catches up to them that Gousby took a terrible angle directly towards the WR when he realized it was his guy to cover. Never had a chance.

Sure, he's a freshman.

That's on Fleck for putting him back there.
Williams was too fast! All of this happens within seconds! Boom boom Williams was gone.

Could Gousby be stronger and faster and smarter, of course but so could Lindenberg and Nubin and Green and Walley….

Outside of Superman or Flash, no one saw Williams on that play!

Look at the play again! Williams ran his route and NO ONE cared for him except for Cody in the beginning. That’s zone D for ya.

You can't stop moving or quit on a play. # 7 Gousby stopped moving and got caught flat footed. Williams is fast but no excuse for Gousby to not be deeper on this play. Everyone knows# 1 Is fast and was likely to get the ball on this play. You cannot blame being a freshman on A not knowing where to be and B making no effort to recover, or stopping, being stuck not moving on a play. Nubin wasn't fast enough to close, # 7 Gousby crapped his pants and quit seeing what was in front of his face on this play. He did the same thing on the first TD by Illinois, ran to his zone and quit on the play figuring he did his job. That kid has to be more instinctive, and start watching more film. Howden got better, I sure hope this guy can.
Also my point.

How do you not focus on #1 on every play. Play zone, fine, but keep your eyes on 1 at all times.

Fleck said they were supposed to be deeper.

Gousby's first reaction was directly towards him (ie, moving almost exactly opposite the direction of the ball and receiver).

You can think whatever you want to, and blame Rossi.

Maybe Gousby ends up being an All-American. But we've now seen multiple times that when he is in the game he lets guys get behind him for huge plays.

Also my point.

How do you not focus on #1 on every play. Play zone, fine, but keep your eyes on 1 at all times.
I agree, he is one of their top two players, hell I'm tackling that guy Williams if I'm near him just so he doesn't burn anyone else. The real bad angles and poor call was the swing pass to # 3. No reason that play should have went for 54 yards and a TD if team defense is played and everyone is where they are suppose to be. With 50 seconds left you cannot get beat over the top even by a flash lightening quick player. I guess we get paid back for luck against Iowa. I don't know what Bielema did, some voodo something, but he sure has one hell of a jinx and hex on Gophers. Back up QB even if 6th year guy cold, come on.

Last edited:

Watching that replay, it looks like Gousby bit on the route (can’t determine what player it is) that went above the LB but below the S. However, that guy already had 2 players around him (the LB and CB). Meanwhile the best player on Illinois just ran past everybody. 2 high safeties in this context means you play “nothing over you”. If you give up a 20 yard pass play, fine. You don’t give up a TD and you live to fight another day.

The loss was very much a team effort. This one play doesn’t define a player, but it does seem to be a recurring theme. It is somewhat disappointing Gousby at this point in his career is apparently the best option back there.

I don’t care what type of defense is called, you don’t let a receiver run past you when you know it is the closing seconds and the opposing team needs a TD. He must go with that receiver. If he doesn’t understand and can’t adapt to that, he doesn’t belong on the field. Blame him or blame PJ and Rossi for having him on the field in this crucial situation. Doesn’t matter. Hopefully, it gets better for him, but he’s seen this play now in multiple games and has routinely failed to cover the receiver.

He has no business being out there. It’s not his fault that he is. Our coaches are continuing to run him out there and the kid either is not ready or he chokes in big situations but we’ve got a whole roster full of DBs try someone else.

I can't bring my self to rewatch. We had multiple chances on offense and defense to "finish" Illinois and failed multiple times. For a team that played so well for such long stretches in the game (and it did play well), the failure of our offense to complete a simple pitch-and-catch pop pass to a TE, and our strange pass coverage fails that followed, were so out of character. We are a team with talent that has to learn how to finish off an opponent.

Question: On the 4th and long play, deep in Illinois's end--when Illinois brings in a new, cold QB--what kind of pressure did we bring? Did we blitz or just rush 4? Or did we rush 3 and drop back into our Swiss cheese zone? The Williams long pass to score was amazing, but to me the earlier 4th down pass for 20 yards, delivered by a cold QB who had just entered the game, to a wide open receiver, was equally amazing--and portentous. The QB looked kind of comfortable when he threw, as if he wasn't under pressure. Stop that 4th down play, game over.

Last edited:

Eyes in the wrong place. Illinois QB said he got #7 to move right and let it rip when Williams split it.
Yep. This. It’s bad eyes which is the key in zone. Why exactly we’re rushing 4 and playing a cover 2 or 3 zone is baffling rather than 2 deep man under if you’re only going to rush 4.

4:32 here:

The WR starts on the right side, and Gousby (#7) is deep on that side. I mean, G-D ... it looks like he just stops running ... stops caring .... just gives up. WTF??

Thanks for pointing out #7, everyone. I hate to single out a player, and they are college guys still learning.

Yet I don't know enough about coverages to know what they were running. He seems to be too far to the right, but with zone coverages, the video doesn't say where they were supposed to be.

1699200389200.png

1699200513898.png

#7 is redshirt freshman Aidan Gousby. For context he's a freshman.

#27 is Tyler Nubin.

Is the problem the zone coverage being split in the middle? I don't know. People are saying #7 is of place while #27 was fine.

The receiver looks closer to #27. Wasn't that for #27 to pick up?

Is #27 covering nobody?

My vote: #27 didn't pick it up.

I guess I saw it differently. When Williams came off the line of scrimmage, he was picked up by a linebacker, who then passed him off to the CB, who then he passed him off to Nubin. Nubin can't let anyone behind him. The back up QB seems to have a stronger arm than the starter. My guess is Nubin underestimated and didn't get enough depth.

Update the threat title to:

#27 Tyler Nubin gave up the game-losing bomb

Of course he shouldn't be a finalist for best NCAA defensive back this season.

I will just say, Gousby is a redshirt freshman and played WR in high school. So it's not unexpected that he is getting picked on and having growing pains in the position.

Not saying someone shouldn't maybe replace him in the spot, but it's also not like a senior is making these mistakes.

Thanks for pointing out #7, everyone. I hate to single out a player, and they are college guys still learning.

Yet I don't know enough about coverages to know what they were running. He seems to be too far to the right, but with zone coverages, the video doesn't say where they were supposed to be.

View attachment 28049

View attachment 28050

#7 is redshirt freshman Aidan Gousby. For context he's a freshman.

#27 is Tyler Nubin.

Is the problem the zone coverage being split in the middle? I don't know. People are saying #7 is of place while #27 was fine.

The receiver looks closer to #27. Wasn't that for #27 to pick up?

Is #27 covering nobody?

My vote: #27 didn't pick it up.
You don’t “pass that off”. You run with the guy going deepest. Nubin has the other guy lined up solo who starts to run deep and then does a stop. They’re playing a deep cover 2 ot appears with Nubin and gousby each having a half. Nubin needs to be deeper as well but he’s playing thinking the solo guy is also going deep and is moving over towards him just prior to the pass. It’s a horrible coverage call when the offense is trying to get deep chunk yardage with that many guys playing shallow zone and only 2 left deep unless you’re playing man underneath those 2 deep

Williams was too fast! All of this happens within seconds! Boom boom Williams was gone.

Could Gousby be stronger and faster and smarter, of course but so could Lindenberg and Nubin and Green and Walley….

Outside of Superman or Flash, no one saw Williams on that play!

Look at the play again! Williams ran his route and NO ONE cared for him except for Cody in the beginning. That’s zone D for ya.
Was it a good idea to rush three and play zone all over the field, allowing a premier receiver to run free while an unbothered QB waited around for him to free up?

You don’t “pass that off”. You run with the guy going deepest. Nubin has the other guy lined up solo who starts to run deep and then does a stop. They’re playing a deep cover 2 ot appears with Nubin and gousby each having a half. Nubin needs to be deeper as well but he’s playing thinking the solo guy is also going deep and is moving over towards him just prior to the pass. It’s a horrible coverage call when the offense is trying to get deep chunk yardage with that many guys playing shallow zone and only 2 left deep unless you’re playing man underneath those 2 deep
Williams started on Ghouls side, so I don’t know why people on here are saying it was Nubin’s man when he’s lined up on the other side.

Williams started on Ghouls side, so I don’t know why people on here are saying it was Nubin’s man when he’s lined up on the other side.

I already stuck my neck out in the other thread by saying the receiver ran straight into Nubin's zone, left side of left hashmarks, and then all the way to the left corner of the endzone.

I already stuck my neck out in the other thread by saying the receiver ran straight into Nubin's zone, left side of left hashmarks, and then all the way to the left corner of the endzone.
I wasn’t taking a dig at you specifically, but when I saw the play, Williams was on Ghouls side and he bit in the QB fake/look, per the QB and ran past him on a deep corner route (he let his man get behind him).

The executive was bad, but the coach needs to put them in the right coverage to succeed and as others have mentioned, it makes no sense to not put some pressure on the back up QB and/or double the receiver as he had 12 catches prior and was one of the leading B10 receivers coming into the game - it was dumbfounding and I think we’re all still numb and watching it slip through our hands 🙌 yet once again.

Sorry for any offense, wasn’t my intention. ✌️

Last edited:

I wasn’t taking a dig at you specifically, but when I saw the play, Williams was on Ghouls side and he bit in the QB fake/look, per the QB and ran past him on a deep corner route (he let his man get behind him).

The executive was bad, but the coach needs to put them in the right coverage to succeed and as others have mentioned, it makes no sense to not put some pressure on the back up QB and/ir double the receiver d was ho had 12 catches prior and was one of the leading B10 receivers coming into the game - it was dumbfounding and I think we’re all still numb ar watching it slip through our hands 🙌 yet once again.

Sorry for ant offense, wasn’t my intention. ✌️

Great analysis.

Gophers could really use a near-lockdown CB for times like that, don't have.

Top Bottom